Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 21:57:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Suggestions for my Torri Mark 4 (Read 1223 times)
grillski2000
Verified Member

Speaker Suggestions for my Torri Mark 4
10/21/13 at 18:50:59

Hello,
I am looking for some Speaker advice. I have been using a Pair of Klipsch Lascalas with a custom 12" IDMAX sub (car audio sub in sealed box) in the middle paired with my Torri 3 and a 100 watt Dayton Sub amp for the past year. My room is 20ft deep X 17ft wide X 8ft High with hard wood floors. It does sound pretty good from my listening position of 11ft back (speakers are toed in and placed against the wall about 9ft apart). The speakers Image very good in the listening position but anywhere else the sound gets muddy esp. when you crank it. I am looking for speaker suggestions for my Amp and for my room that would sound Dynamic like the horns yet be more smooth and less cumbersome. I was thinking of going with the ZU Soul Superflys, Steve suggested the new DM945's with the Sub Box because of my room. What do you guys suggest based on your experiences? Thanks for any help.
-Dave

IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Re: Speaker Suggestions for my Torri Mark 4
Reply #1 - 10/21/13 at 19:34:34

Oops I meant the subs are being ran by a 1000watt Dayton Sub amp. Also, my soundstage is low. It seems to be limited by the Height of the Lascala's. Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/21/13 at 21:05:26

What is your budget?

Decware speakers will fit the bill if you want new speakers. I do not have enough experience to recommend a certain one.

Have you or can you move your Lascalas away from the back wall. You could put them on something to raise the height. I would also try toeing them out a bit and see what happens to your image. Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/21/13 at 21:41:32

Another vote for Decware speakers. I've had three versions of the Radial speakers and have the HR-1s and I love them with the Torii.

I'd consider Steve's advice very carefully, he knows whereof he speakest. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/21/13 at 22:14:25

Busterfree, I am looking to spend about $2500. I have experimented with the Lascala's but they are so large and heavy. I have tried pointing them in and out. Never tried getting them off the wall though? But I have no room to do that as they are near the front door of the house. They do sound really good with Symphony music.

Lonn, I am also considering the ERR's. Would they fill my room like the Lascala's. The Lascala's do have a large sound. I have some Walsh Ohms2's that I just received, and have not heard yet, as I am still awaiting  my Torri4 to come in. How different are those from the ERR's? I trust Steves opinion 100% but I am just having a hard time believing that those little MG944's would be bigger than my horns. But then agian I trust Steve. I am sure they will have good bass with the sub cabinet. But will the lower mid bass be snappy?

IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #5 - 10/21/13 at 23:36:41

I can't recommend the Zu's highly enough. My Superflys were great with the Torii mk 3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/21/13 at 23:44:32

g,

The ERRs will indeed fill up a room, but they will really shine more if you can get them out into the room, so if you can't do that there are better choices.

I haven't heard the 945 and bass stands so it's hard for me to say, I bet they will fill the room though and I trust Steve and Bob to make "fast" sounding, snappy speakers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/22/13 at 00:40:55

ncblue, Why do you recommend the Superflys? I see them from time to time to meet my budget. Originally having my Torri4 made to have the 16ohm tap for them. How would they compare to what I have? and how would they compare to comparable Decware Speakers?

Lonn, I can not place my speakers that far from the wall. I have a small house. If you could recommend any speaker other than the ERRs what would you recommend for my price range?

Or if anyone else has any suggestions that know the Klipsch Lascalas

IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/22/13 at 00:55:00

I think I am leaning toward Steves suggestion (the DM945's with subbox). But before I do anything I am curious to how those would compare to the HDT's and or the Less expensive mg944. Would the Dm945's be less detailed? Even if anyone heard any of these Decware speakers compared to Zu Superflys. THanks for any help

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/22/13 at 03:36:03

g,

Wow. I have had nothing but Decware Radial speakers for over a decade, and I just have been so satisfied that I haven't listened to other speakers or really researched them. I myself like a "laid back" sound more than a forward one. Others here will have some ideas for you. . . and then there's that suggestion from Steve.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #10 - 10/22/13 at 05:28:36

Hi Dave,

Thanks for starting this thread.

My current situation is about the same as yours.

I ordered a Torii MK4 with 8-16 ohms taps because my original idea was to pair the amp with the ZU 16ohm Soul Superflys.
I'm really tempted by the new 8 Ohm Decware ERRx speakers.
Both are in the same price range.

My current audio system does double duty as a "video" fi system too.
It would be great to have a consistent sweet spot anywhere on my long couch which can seat 3 adults. Hence my particular interest in the ERRx.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 10/22/13 at 11:49:47

Errs work excellently within a video system!

IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/23/13 at 03:31:55

Thanks Guys! LS wow we seem to be in the same predicament.

Lonn, how do the ERR's compare to the Walsh Ohms. I actually just picked up a set. The guy I got those from had them set up with some Magnepan stuff and the Maggies to me sounded much better than the Walsh Ohms. I am assuming the ERR's sound much better.

Anyone know how the new 945's with sub box compares to the HDT's?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/23/13 at 03:37:24

g, it has been decades since I heard Walsh Ohms. Unfair to make a judgment on audio memory that long.

I love the ERRs. I didn't love the Ohms then.

IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 10/30/13 at 03:39:46

Received my Modded Torri3 to 4 today. The Amp seemed to have made the Lascalas sing. I tried the Ohms speakers and they were very laid  back. Kind of out of phase sounding. Not real upfront like the Lascalas.  Very different.

Lon do the ERR's have a similar sound to the Ohms?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 10/30/13 at 10:47:17

I believe that I answered this before here, I don't think so, but it's been decades since I briefly heard Ohm's speakers. When I did way back when, I didn't fall in love with them the way I did the ERRs.

That said, if the LaScalas are forward sounding, the ERRs are not that way, they could be considered "laid back." I am not a fan of forward sounding speakers or systems.

Congrats on the new conversion!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print