IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Zkit1 P2P
Reply #1 - 10/28/13 at 20:22:23

Nice!!

You did them point to point rather than using the circuit boards?

Do you have any gut shots?

I'm really good at following directions, but I don't know enough to simply follow a schematic and build them myself. I'm wanting to build a Zen amp myself someday!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/28/13 at 20:26:37

Really pretty! Nice work!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/28/13 at 21:54:02

Thanks,
I used the schematic for the Zkit1. Did the CCE mod and the filament 100ohm resistor mod. This was only my second P2P build. Doing the layout takes some planning. Getting better at it.  :)

Mark

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/28/13 at 22:57:29

My brain kept telling me something's missing, and I realized what it was...that uses diodes for rectification rather than a big tube! Are those the diodes to the right of your filter caps?

The input section looks much like my SE84, it just looks like you have much more space than the tiny shoebox Steve built these in!

Your amp is exactly what I wanted to do (till I met the Mystery amp). I will still build one someday, but I want mine to be closer to the Super Zen so I'd at least be a step closer than my SE84-A (modified) is now.

Really well done, your wiring looks great! Those Edcor transformers are sexy as well!

mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/13 at 23:27:15

Yes those are the diodes. In order to use a tube rectifier you need a different PT than what the zkit BOM uses. The PT needs 5v tap.

So I guess your one of the lucky ones getting the new Mystery Amps. I'd like one too but, cant afford it. If I couldn't do DIY, I wouldn't have a tube amp.  :)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 10/29/13 at 03:16:36

Yeah, and I'm selling my favorite acoustic guitar, and a vintage car to afford the Mystery amp. Believe you me, I was asking Steve if I could sweep floors to pay off the Mystery amp! And I was only half-kidding!

battjim
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/11/14 at 06:47:54

Nice work!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 02/18/14 at 02:08:08

Aha! the  underside of this project, good. I don't know that I would have done anything different, except maybe power caps or something. I always think that I am on to something with upgraded parts, yet it is not always the case. In fact, if the upgrades don't add up all together, there isn't much point in them to begin with. Kind of a Pavlov doggy thing.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/18/14 at 04:51:58

I did add a larger second cap in the PS. Not sure it made any difference. The amp is dead quiet and performs well.

Mark

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 02/23/14 at 19:32:42

Actually, I was looking at your layout and I like the how you have done it. I have built a few kits on the fly concerning layout, and one thing became clear quickly, try to put everything on the top plate. I didn't, and the soldering/assembly was a bitch. I had knobs on the front, three of them and inputs and outputs on the rear. Doesn't enter your mind until assembly/wiring. Of course, this problem was 'amplified', pun intended, by the fact that I made it on a compact type chassis-cigar box! These boxes can be beautiful but audio wasn't one of their considerations.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print