Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 21:04:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Grounding Scheme (Read 4057 times)
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Decware Grounding Scheme
10/26/13 at 20:31:31

I've been troubleshooting why my dishwasher creates a buzz that comes up either AC + or the Ground into my Rachel amp.

It appears that all (4) speaker terminals and the - RCA short to the IEC ground, but not chassis. I have noticed if I tie the transformer to the chassis of my DAC, hum drops a bit. I probably also have DC on the line as both units chassis/tranny buzz and vibrate.

Is this normal? Or part of the Decware design e.g. floating transformer ground.

i've read this from a well-respected designer; not saying this is good or bad just curious as to design.

Quote:
You can sort out easily enough if the equipment is properly grounded by using a DVM. Connect one lead to the chassis and one to the center pin of the IEC connection or power cord. You should measure a short.

Then connect to the ground of the input and output connectors. You should not see a short- but some nominal resistance. I've seen a lot of power amps where input ground and chassis ground are the same thing. Such a unit will be sensitive to the earth ground. I've seen others where the chassis seems to float relative to the inputs. Again, there will be troubles with ground.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Grounding Scheme
Reply #1 - 10/27/13 at 17:44:07

So today I put a cheater plug on the Rachel, hooked it up to an AC regenerator, and turned on the dishwasher.

A loud buzz comes out of the speakers when dishwasher is running.

I measured 20V AC across chassis of DAC to + Rachel binding post, 30V AC across AC Regenerator chassis to + Rachel binding post, and 3v from chassis of Rachel to + Rachel binding post.

I wonder if neutral and ground are tied at dishwasher?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/13 at 18:35:08

Should the + and - speaker terminals short? Input jacks - shorts to both + and - binding posts.

I guess it must be by design, floating bridge...

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/27/13 at 21:57:18

Question: Are you powering up your audio system from a sub-panel?...

Many sub-panels are wired wrong...  They should have the neutral floating, and not bonded to ground...  Bonding the neutral to ground should only happen at the main dist. panel...

Added: Note: If you do have a sub-panel, when you look at the neutral buss-bar, only white wires should go to it... And the bonding screw should be taken out...  All the bare copper grounding wires should go to a separate accessory bar that manufacturers sell for this purpose... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/13 at 05:45:03

Firstly, Steve said my amp checks out. I meant continuity, and since I'm a layman, a short was the wrong choice of word.

Mark, thanks for post. I will check today when electrician gets here. Something is not right.

My buddy has a studio on camp and says he has 3-phase, and a sub-panel. I don't think I do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print