Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 14:33:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube rolling.... Really? (Read 3352 times)
miller88

Tube rolling.... Really?
10/25/13 at 23:20:27

So I'm a new audiophile and I really enjoy it.
I just wanted a good sound bar (400.00) for my flat screen so could hear it and I am at 6500.00 now. But very happy and don't even watch TV ever.

The reason for the post
I have a Rachael, CSP2+, Rega CD, a DAC and Wadia 171 that I just use for pandora, Grover IC's and just replaced all my power cords with Grover's as well. Oh ya, teak HDT MKII speakers.

I said tube rolling was dumb but have started to really enjoy it with the Rachael. I have a lot of different combinations that are fun to listen to but I want to know if anyone has any experience with Tesla el34's (not JJ's). I have heard a lot of people really like them and would like to try them but they aren't cheap. Can anyone give me their thoughts on them?

Thanks
:) girls like stereos too Wink

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Tube rolling.... Really?
Reply #1 - 10/25/13 at 23:35:42

I can't speak for the Rachel, but I know in guitar amps the original Tesla are in my top 3 favorites. And after reading through here a bunch, I'm not surprised to see that my top guitar amp tubes keep showing up as peoples favorites here in Decware amps. So I'm seeing a trend there.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/13 at 01:10:59

Hi miller, I use Tesla EL34`s in my Rachaels. They are the `cross swords` ones, military issue. They`re the only power tubes I`ve used as I bought the Rachaels without tubes.  I wanted nos and the Tesla come in at a decent price. Havent seen the `cross swords` around on e-bay for a while but there are usually the Teslas which might be pictured here...https://www.tubeworld.com/6ca7.htm

Soundwise they are keepers. I`ve just seated my amps on a new platform, and the sonics have stepped up a notch or three. Top and bottom extension has more focus  and a new ballpark of natural piano decay is noticable. So the Teslas deliver....you can tube roll everthing but the EL34`s have to amplify it all. Yes I like them a lot.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
miller88

Reply #3 - 10/26/13 at 01:28:33

Cool, I really wanted to try them so I'll just spring for a pair:)

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print