05/06/24 at 12:38:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phono Pre for Zen (Read 7019 times)
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Phono Pre for Zen
10/24/13 at 22:17:16

Hey guys, I just finished my Diy Zen Zkit1. Used the SV83's and a nos bugleboy 6dj8. I'm needing a phono pre now. I tried my Yaqin ms-12b with it. Have to say the Yaqin kills the SQ. So out the door it goes.:) I'd like the ZP3 but I cant afford it right now. Is there any pres that I could get that doesn't jack with the great SQ of the Zen? (passive, active?)

Mark

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Phono Pre for Zen
Reply #1 - 10/24/13 at 22:29:13

The PS Audio GCPH is a pretty darned good unit for solid state, not a ZP3 but a different experience that makes quite listenable music from lps. PS Audio is coming out with a new, more complex version (ADC and DSD DAC included) and I bet there will soon be a number of used GCPH out there at reasonable prices (I bought two used ones some time back for 450 or so each, kept one for my second system).

Congrats on your successful build and enjoy the sound!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/24/13 at 23:49:51

Thanks Lon, I looked the PS Audio pre up. I like the passive circuit and adjustable gain. I'll have to start looking or save up for a ZP3.

Thanks for the congrats.  ;)

Mark

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/25/13 at 01:37:14

Lounge Audio MM LCR (L=Inductor, C=Capacitor, R=Resistor) has a good following on Steve Hoffman's forums and also Audio Circle.  It's fairly inexpensive (I believe around $200-$250), so that's something that might tide you over until the ZP3 purchase.

IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/25/13 at 02:10:56

Thanks, I checked it out. Seems he only sells on ebay. None available at this time. I'm a member at AC too. I'll check out both preamps there.

After getting the Zen finished. I can see what Steve is talking about. Sources and cables become the weak link. It sure showed up quick in my system.

Mark

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #5 - 10/25/13 at 03:05:37

I used a Hagerman Bugle with my Zen select.
It was a terrific combination. The price is very attractive
too.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/25/13 at 03:50:28

I like the DIY stuff. The Hagerman would be intense eye strain. LOL. Lots of small solders. I have heard good reviews on it though. I'll check it out.
Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/25/13 at 05:42:18

Quote:
mkoepsel said,
Thanks, I checked it out. Seems he only sells on ebay. None available at this time. I'm a member at AC too. I'll check out both preamps there.

You can email him at loungeaudio@ca.rr.com ... he is good returning emails, answering questions, etc. and usually gets back to you within a day or so.  I think he builds them to order and he will sell it to you through eBay or PayPal.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/25/13 at 19:48:22

I bought the pre-built Hagerman Bugle 2.  I don't listen to much vinyl so I didn't want to spend too much to dabble.   It preserves the magic on my system.

I'd love to see pictures of your build.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print