Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 18:06:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maybe the Best of Everything is Not the Best (Read 3044 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Maybe the Best of Everything is Not the Best
10/22/13 at 02:36:07

I would like to know if anyone here has had the experience of, let's say, adding an interconnect that is not necessarily the best available to them, only to find out that it offered more musicality than the superior product...

Let's take the distributed capacitance of a longer RCA cable, for instance... If you have high definition equipment, and are playing a wide range of program material, it might behoove you go with a higher Pf per foot rating, so as to change the overall presentation of your system...

I guess a good word would be synergy here...

At any rate, I've experienced this more than once, the latest time being when I was running streaming audio from my computer... The lesser quality cable definitely gave a better presentation than the higher quality one... ???... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Maybe the Best of Everything is Not the Best
Reply #1 - 10/22/13 at 03:29:33

Oh yes, synergy is key and I've heard surprising things from cables.

Long interconnects can be beneficial. I'm running a 3 meter pair of Ultralinear from VooDoo Cables that are twice as long as they need to be but the price was excellent. . . and so is the sound.

I've also used a pair of Ethereal PCOCC interconnects in 4 meter length that were ridiculously cheap but after quite a break in was a very good match for "not so great" Redbook recordings.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Maybe the Best of Everything is Not the Best
Reply #2 - 10/22/13 at 12:27:03

Long cables have a higher pf which translates to high frequency roll-off. Guitar players use the "vintage" style cables to get that high end roll off for overly bright or harsh systems.

In the streaming instance, it's probably helping to filter out some of those compressed jaggies on the high end.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print