05/07/24 at 02:49:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What next? (Read 6757 times)
roggae
Seasoned Member

What next?
10/19/13 at 20:33:34

Very satisfied owner of a mini torii here. I've saved enough to make the next big upgrade to my stereo and am considering three options: first is the option of upgrading the torii to the current specs and VCAPs etc, the second is to upgrade to a zen torii, and the third is to upgrade from a rega to VPI playback device. My question for you is where is my money best spent? I have very efficient speakers and rarely turn my amp up above 25% so I'm not sure I will really use the added wattage but perhaps I have a distorted understanding of watts and volume. Anyway I'm ready to make the next move but I'm gathering information. Thanks for your time

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What next?
Reply #1 - 10/19/13 at 21:07:03

My opinion?  You have a great amp that probably doesn't need to be upgraded to current specs and V-Caps etc. I would put your money on the source. I find that you can keep upgrading your source components and hear every bit of improvement with these amps. . . and they bring real enjoyment.

Edit to add: A Project and upgrade? Smiley If it were me, I'd move up the Rega ladder, I just love my Rega tables.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 10/19/13 at 22:49:50

The distorted understanding part almost sounds like a lead in to a geeky joke!

If you're only turning your amp about 25%, then you probably have a lot of headroom and are fine with the amp you have. Ask yourself, does it sound like it's having trouble keeping up with complex music? If not, then do like Lon suggests, and focus on your sources.

You didn't mention your speakers, so I'm assuming you're not looking to replace them.

Make sure all the links in your chain are good - interconnects, power cords, speaker lines etc.

And of course, I'm always a big proponent of room treatment. Get some bass traps, absorbers, and diffusers in there!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/19/13 at 23:57:46

I love my speakers. Zu audio omens. I don't really notice any weaknesses. I guess maybe my cartridge is where I could start. I have a rega p3-24. Any suggested cartridges?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/20/13 at 10:23:39

Take a leap! So many carts at varying prices. Someone mentioned Zu cartridges. They take the Denon 103 and upgrade them. There are something like 12 versions but...all sold out.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #5 - 10/20/13 at 16:53:45

You might also look at the arm. The Rega's I've owned could certainly justify a very good arm.
If yours is something like an RB300, then you're probably just fine.
PS. I'd not be looking to change out your amp any time soon !
Good Luck
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/20/13 at 22:01:46

I think it is an rb300 arm. So I'll start looking for a new cartridge. What about VCAPS and the other upgrades available for the mini torii? Also I feel like attenuated knobs would be good. That way I know they are at equal levels. Right?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/21/13 at 02:00:00

I am done with Rega but I understand that the metal platter wheel upgrade gizmo and the better bearing pay handsome dividends in sound. Also the white belts are said to be steadier and better than the blacks. These upgrades in addition to the cartridge will put your table at peak performance.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 10/21/13 at 03:36:32

I think I'll add my two cents worth here . I had the same situation with using the volume control on my amp. At 25%, it was loud. The trouble with this is that there was little room for fine volume adjustment. Before I did anything else, I 'adjusted' the volume control with tantalum resistors both in the signal path and to ground. What this did for me was to give the volume control knob a lot more space to turn up. This made it much easier to make a fine volume control adjustment. What you mentioned about the repeatability of a stepped attenuator is true. You can count the steps and know exactly where it's at every time. I would try the trick with the resistors first. 'Gold Point' is a high quality manufacturer and has a page describing exactly how this can be accomplished in detail.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print