Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:56:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Popping noise caused by front right tube (Read 808 times)
cbauer210
Verified Member

Popping noise caused by front right tube
10/02/13 at 23:02:26

I have a Torii Mk3 and the front right tube, when moved, causes a loud rumbly popping noise in my speakers. It really gets the driver moving. I notice it rumbles a little bit on regular playback without being touched to occasionally. New tubes didn't help. I'm starting to think this is an issue with the socket itself. Anyone else experience this?

Also....when I flip the bias switch there is a loud pop. is that normal?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Popping noise caused by front right tube
Reply #1 - 10/02/13 at 23:31:10

Patient: when i move the input tube it rumbles!

Doctor:  Don't move the tube!

Grin

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/13 at 23:57:22

Might be worth a try to clean the sockets. It sounds like a weak connection.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
cbauer210
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/03/13 at 16:49:38

LOl...I'll try to not touch the tube. But seriously the fact that it rumbles at times without me touching it is the more annoying issue. How should I go about cleaning the socket?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/04/13 at 16:56:19

cbauer,

If you have some Deoxit cleaner solution, it works well as it cleans and conditions a little (not Deoxit Gold...this is mainly for conditioning after cleaning and I think tricky to use without getting too much on). Input tube sockets are so little they are hard to get anything into. I got some of those little tooth floss/brushes from the CVS (red and white handles with a sort on miniature soft bottle brush). They are small enough to get between teeth and work pretty well in small sockets. 99% alcohol works in the place of Deoxit, and some think it is better...no conditioning, and can probably be gotten locally.

In a fix, I just cleaned the tube pins first, then sprayed a little deoxit on the pins and gently worked the tube in and out of the socket with some side to side motion along with in and out. It worked.

Could be a bad tube, or just dirty pins. So cleaning is a good thing. After cleaning, if you still hear it, you could check the bad tube thing by switching channels and see if the racket moves to the other speaker. Also maybe clean pins and socket once more.

I finally bought this http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1158-caig-vacuum-tube-survival-kit.aspx but have not used it yet.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/13 at 13:49:00

go to a local Rite Aid and look at all the dental picks and brushes you'll figure it out

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/21/13 at 03:37:43

Any update of your tube problems? Were they JJ's?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print