Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 12:36:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
F/S-Siemens EL34, two tightly matched quads (Read 9896 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

F/S-Siemens EL34, two tightly matched quads
09/15/13 at 07:13:21

OK,  I decided to sell two different  tightly matched quads of Siemens EL34's (RFT German made, dimple tops).

I purchased both of these as NOS quads, a couple of years ago for $280 each plus shipping. They were burned in for 24 hours before being closely matched.

I'm selling the NOS quad (four tubes) for $220 plus $10 for Priority Mail shipping (well-packed in a large box).  The used quad has 800-900 hours on it, and the price is $110 plus $10 for shipping.  I was using it in my Torii III.

I accept returns within seven days if they don't work out for you, and will refund purchase price and initial shipping costs.  You just pay return shipping. Paypal for payment, please.

I still have one NOS quad I keeping.  My Torii III is being converted to a MK IV, so I'm moving toward the KT66's.  I found the Siemens to be superb tubes in my Torii MK II and III, preferring them to the "winged C" SED's.  Your experience may vary, of course.  Additionally, these quads are very tightly matched, which I have found to make a big difference.

Thanks for looking!
Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: F/S-Siemens EL34, two tightly matched quads
Reply #1 - 09/15/13 at 17:05:27

Wow. Great prices for some classic tubes!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/15/13 at 19:00:28

Hey Will,  

Yeah, they are classic well-built, long life EL34's.

After your comment, I'm actually having second thoughts on selling them.  Whoever first buys one of the pairs, that's fine.  But...I'm then withdrawing the second pair for sale.

In spite of what Steve said about how wonderful the KT66's are with the Torii Mk IV, EL34's may be just the ticket for some types of music in some systems.

I'm specifically thinking of large scale symphonic works.  Out of my 2700? Lps, about 2000 are classical.  Oh well, let the tube rolling begin when the Mk IV arrives!

Thanks for your thoughts, Will.

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/15/13 at 19:33:37

Hi Mike, do you know if your RTF made EL-34's are from the 1960's, 70's or 80's? The early 1960's version usually have a shorter plastic base.

I am with you, these tubes sound better in my Torii MKIII than anything I have tried including the treasure / Psvane 6CA7 (EL34)'s I had that lasted less than four months before a tube failed. I probably have well over 1,000 hours on my current pair of RTF's and they sound the same as the day I installed them. I have a NOS quad of Mullard made EL-34's that took me about 15 minutes before I replaced them with RTF's. They were smooth but too rolled off on the top end for me. That was an expensive lesson learned!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/15/13 at 20:09:24

Mike, I am going to send you an e mail about these now.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/15/13 at 21:14:28

Mark,  I responded to your email.

Thanks!
Mike

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/15/13 at 21:24:27

What wonderful tubes! I use these in my Trainwreck guitar amps.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/13 at 21:29:45

Roy,  My EL34's are "probably" from the 60's, as they have a very short plastic base.

I've only compared these RFT's to the older SED's, but it's good to  hear you prefer them to NOS original Mullards.  I always wondered what NOS Mullards sounded like.

I've decided to hang onto my NOS quads of RFT's.  As you said, they are very long lasting. German quality makes a difference.

Thanks so much for your input!
Mike

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/15/13 at 22:09:02

Used quad had been sold to Mark.  Thanks!

The new quad has been withdrawn from sale.

Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/15/13 at 23:41:01

Mike,

I am glad you decided to keep those, at least for now. My Siemens/RFTs are labeled Brimar, and have short black bases.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/16/13 at 00:40:44

Will,

I am glad you, and RoyMercer, and Lonely Raven, chimed in about the Siemens RFT's.  

It swayed me back to keeping both my NOS quads of Siemens/RFT's.
Mine also have short black bases.

I can always sell them later, if they're not the greatest in the Mk IV.

I have a feeling, though, that they'll sound pretty good:)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/16/13 at 00:55:53

Well, you will see before us! I am glad your amp is in for the mods and look forward to your impressions. Luckily the Beeswax caps sound good from the onset. Then they go on and get a lot better. That is such a great thing. Have fun!

Will

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 09/16/13 at 00:57:38

That's true, the beeswax sound good from the offset but a few months later WOW. I'm really enjoying those in my seasoned Mk III a lot.

My new Mk III is sounding pretty good in my second system, have about 750 or more hours on it now. When I get to about a thousand I'm going to put it into the main system.  . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print