Send Topic Print
Optional Exotic woods (Read 7835 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Optional Exotic woods
08/26/13 at 13:52:49

I am seriously considering a new Torii MK IV and have  2 questions about the optional exotic woods.  

1.  By checking off that option, does it give me free range to pick an exotic wood that I like (KOA, Rosewood, Purpleheart) or are there some limitations ?  I know that some woods are not only harder to acquire, but also more difficult to work with.

Also, if there any Decware owners with a specific exotic wood, can you please post a picture of your amp here so I can get a better idea of what it will look like.

2.  I know from playing an acoustic guitar that an exotic wood has certain tonal properties.  As crazy as this sounds, does this hold any weight with adding a specific exotic wood to a new Decware amp, specifically a Torii.  My gut and saying no, but then again, I have no idea either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Optional Exotic woods
Reply #1 - 08/26/13 at 20:15:09

Hey Dom,

The only limitations is if we can get the wood. In cases where the wood was hard to obtain we went with a a veneer and a substrate wood which is either complementary or totally contrasting, which ever wood look the best.

For the most part, maple seems to be the wood of choice, which works well with almost any veneer over it. You only see the substrate wood when looking directly down from the top.

As far as making the amp sound different/better....highly doubtful in my opinion.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 08/26/13 at 21:02:54

Thanks for the info. ZYGI.  I personally like the Rosewood and KOA woods.  I know Purpleheart is hard to come across, and is used as a compliment/accent.  My cigar box has Purpleheart inlaid, and it really gives it a nice touch.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/26/13 at 21:10:32

I have a purpleheart fingerboard on a fretless bass I have made by luthier Steve Wishovsky (Wishbass). The bass body itself is persimmon and the neck is a sandwich of maple, purplewood and mahogany that though it has a flat fingerboard is otherwise shaped a lot like the neck of contrabass violin. Odd looking but really expressive (has one pickup and a volume control only, you really have to work to make the sounds yourself).

Purpleheart is really nice as a fingerboard.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 08/26/13 at 23:55:13

That sounds like a beauty of a bass guitar Lon.  Having played the guitar with different types of woods, it's amazing how they all have their own unique sound.  

I am a big fan of wood in general... it's very warm and inviting.  My entire bedroom set is handcrafted Rosewood that was imported from Japan.  Took 8 months to build, but totally  worth the wait.  

Purpleheart is not cheap, but its just unique.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 08/27/13 at 01:02:20

I'm a big fan of wood as well. On my mother's side I come from a long line of cabinet makers and other wood workers, the ultimate one of which may have been my great-great-great-great-great grandfather, organ builder David Tannenberg. My grandfather never made a living working in wood, but he worked in wood all his spare time as his father had taught him making grandfather clocks, pool tables, and many more things, including a "scooter" for me that was out of this world (when I was 8!).

Interesting what wood can do for guitars. I have a mahogany Stratocaster that sounds like no other Strat I've ever played, deep and warm in great measure. A truly original sound compared to the standard strat.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 08/27/13 at 05:03:04

Now that is impressive!!  Very cool !!  It's difficult to find a good woodworker these days....talk about a lost art.  

Conversely my granfather was a master welder who worked on the Brooklyn Navy Yard during the war.  He basically bent and fused metal his entire life.  But it was from my Grandfather that I learned how to play the guitar when I was young.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 08/27/13 at 11:14:18

I have great respect for master welders! I spent my first working decade assembling machinery and otherwise working with metal. Not for sissies. Smiley

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 08/27/13 at 12:40:51

Welding is definitely not for sissies!!  I always wanted to learn the trade. He used to build everything from brackets to shelving, custom fishing sinkers, and even his own music and mic stands.  

My uncle currently has his vintage Gibson L4 and Epiphone..... talk about beauty!!   Been a while since I played it, but it has such a sweet sound.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print