Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 13:51:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MK3 + Rock and now Jazz (Read 3184 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

Torii MK3 + Rock and now Jazz
07/30/13 at 04:29:57

It has been about 8 months listening to the Torii MK3 married to ZU Omen Defs and they just sound great!  Originally I had reservations but after several phone calls and listening to my music collection, I soon realized that not all recordings are created equal.  Peter Gabriel So sounds great and Us just sounds FLAT.  Oh well.

I was able to inherit my dad's 150+ Jazz LP's that are approximately 30+ years.  Practically all are in very good condition.  He told me they are the true Jazz artists; Don Ellis, Marion Brown, Miles Davis, Gary Bartz, Stan Getz, Buddy Rich, Weather Report and many more. I also received his Technics SL-DD22 turntable and I feel it does a good job, though I need a new P-mount cartridge.  Thinking of getting the Grado Black.  I am currently using my Onkyo AVR as the phono preamp, but hopefully one day I will upgrade to a phono amp.  

I also upgraded my speaker cables to a slightly better pair and they actually proved better.  I always thought it was snake oil but it improved the sound a bit.  My next tweak will probably be tube rolling.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Torii MK3 + Rock and now Jazz
Reply #1 - 07/30/13 at 11:22:55

Glad the Torii has brought you so many hours of enjoyment. Yes, isn't it amazing how this amp will show you how recordings really sound, and reveal the differences in things like wire? Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MK3 + Rock and now Jazz
Reply #2 - 08/27/13 at 03:46:10

RJR,  I have been recently buying Hi Fi equipment rapidly over the past few months...Taboo MK III, Audeze Headphones, CSP 3 ordered, Zu Audio Souls ordered, Jolida CD player to arrive Wednesday, two sets of DSR interconnects, Zu power cord and interconnects. I was using my old Adcom 500 Mk II as a phono pre and just didn't like it for some reason.  I didn't want to spring for a "good" phono stage just yet....I've got my eye on that Torii MK IV.  I have a 35 year old pioneer quartz drive turntable and have no intention of upgrading.  I decided to try a cheapo ART DJ phono stage for $50 and it arrived a few days ago.  I was pleasantly surprised....it sounds very good...when the recording is good, of course. I'm sure it has something do  with the Decware interconnects that cost 4 times what the Phono stage did and the Taboo magic. I bought mine from Sweetwater in Ft. Wayne, Indiana...They are also an ebay seller...2 year warranty and tech assistance...Free shipping.  Google it and read reviews like I did , then give it a shot. My guess is it will be better than your Onkyo....if not send it back.  Then you can save your pennies to eventually upgrade to Steve's Phono Stage...hehe

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print