04/26/24 at 07:20:25 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 19937 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #150 - 10/03/13 at 02:10:38

I talked to Sarah today, and it looks like my Torii Mark  III/IV conversion will be shipped next Monday.  It's already finished, but there's no more shipping this week due to Decfest.

Does anyone else have a Mark III currently in the shop, being converted to a Mark IV?

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
grillski2000
Verified Member

Reply #151 - 10/03/13 at 04:32:49

I currently have mine being worked on too. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #152 - 10/03/13 at 18:55:33

I have a Mark IV in the shiping stage...I live near the Seattle area also..heh small world.  I am excited to hear this thing and compare it to my Mini Torii, it has the upgrades.  

Someday I will go to decfest, looks like an awesome time...:)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #153 - 10/03/13 at 19:15:37

And you guys are making me really jones for a MKIV.

I'm putting my order in Friday or Saturday (probably while I'm listening to it at the Zen Fest)  ;D

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #154 - 10/03/13 at 22:14:36

"I'm putting my order in Friday or Saturday (probably while I'm listening to MIKE'S at the Zen Fest)"

Fixed it for you L.R.

We need to make sure it is run in before it gets to Seattle Wink

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 10/04/13 at 00:39:24

Hey Lin,

Actually, yesterday I gave Sarah the go ahead to use my Torii Mk III/Mk IV conversion, as a demo unit at Decfest.  

With at least 5000 hours on it already (well-seasoned transformers!), I'm hoping they run it day and night to put some mileage on all those big new caps.

Less breakin  for me, and the hours won't be on my tubes!  Hope they go for it:)

Mike in Seattle area  

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 10/04/13 at 01:05:48

Mike,
I live 80 miles from Decware and would be willing to bring it home for a week or so to make sure there are no problems with it. Grin

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 10/04/13 at 01:54:14

No, mine's headed home after Decfest. By the time I get it, I'll have already waited six very long weeks!  

Lin,  I see you have one of those original blue Torii's.  I bought one of those new from Decware.  With good tubes, it was pretty amazing.

I'm not so sure the Mk IV would be much of an upgrade (if any) over the original Blue Torii.

You should bring your's to Decfest and have a shoot-out!

It would be interesting.

Mike

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #158 - 10/04/13 at 10:44:22

Sounds like a great idea to have an amp shoot-out!

That blue Torii sure sounds like a dark horse which might give the newer models a run for their money.

Would be a great experience, for example, to line up the CSP from the very 1st model to the latest CSP3.
In that way, one can literally hear the sonic improvements made over the years.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #159 - 10/04/13 at 13:11:37

I'm in the vicinity of Decware already this morning, and headed to the fest later this afternoon... and I have my Torii III with me!  So I can hear III .vs. IV real time... and leave my III behind for upgrade if I like what I hear.... or..... sell my III and get a whole new IV... decisions, decisions.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #160 - 10/04/13 at 14:59:15

Brianne (my fiance) and I area heading down that way and should be in town around 5pm or so. We're going to walk around the city for a bit, then be at Steve's around 8pm-9pm.

I'll have my SE83A with me...but it's the one that was recently tweaked by Steve, with about 100 hours on it since then. I'd like to hear the jump from SE83A to Torii MKIII and Torii MKIV!

tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 10/04/13 at 16:36:47

I hope all you guys have a good time at Decfest.  Sounds like it'll be great fun!

I'm very curious to hear what people attending, feel about the new Mk IV running EL34's versus the "voiced" KT66's.  Should be interesting.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #162 - 10/04/13 at 16:53:37

Since I'm putting my order in this weekend, I'm curious as well!  ;D

Offhand, I'm probably going for the KT-66, but I'll defer to what Steve suggests. When I describe what I'm looking for in my sound, he always cuts to the chase and gets me there more quickly - sometimes not always explaining why, but he's not been wrong yet.   Grin

Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 10/04/13 at 17:04:54

I'm at the airport at sweet home Chicago. Can't hardly wait to get to the festival.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #164 - 10/04/13 at 23:18:35

Having an early dinner in Peoria now. See you all in a couple hours

patshrews
Verified Member

Reply #165 - 10/07/13 at 21:50:05

Hi everyone,

After lurking here for nearly a year, I pulled the trigger on the Mark IV. I can't wait to join the Decware family!

Sincerely,

Pat

Smiley

Torii Mk. IV
Schiit Gungnir
Zu Omen Bookshelfs
with HO drivers
Decware Reference Interconnects
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #166 - 10/07/13 at 21:57:31

Hi Pat... welcome to the family.

if this is your first Decware experience... be prepared.... this can be a life altering event!  Get ready to step off the merry-go-round and just "enjoy the music" from this point on.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #167 - 10/07/13 at 22:27:44

Pat,

WELCOME! And I hope the wait is not TOO painful!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 10/09/13 at 16:44:15

Hi, Pat.  I was in your shoes a number of months back.  I believe I got the first customer shipped MK IV and I've had it now going into my third week.  The Torii was my first Decware piece and I can tell you the wait is worth it.  I recommend using the KT66s with this amp.  I also have the EL34s and have put those away.  The 66s seem to have a richer sound and better balance top to bottom.  I still have tons of break in to go but this amp has already won me over.  If it continues to improve as everyone suggests that it will, this will be my last amp.

Wait as fast as you can! Grin

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 10/11/13 at 11:50:01

I just noticed on the product page that Steve omitted the bit about ordering a TORII MK IV at the TORII MK III Price. He also omitted the pictures of the IV. I think the transition to the new page is underway.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #170 - 10/21/13 at 22:34:09

Well my Torii MKIV just arrvied today.  For now I am seeing how it sounds with my small traps speakers.  I have used the mini torii for a few years now, jupiter and feedback upgrade on it,  and just love it so time to see how this big boy does Smiley   Cheesy

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #171 - 10/21/13 at 23:09:03

I have never heard a mini-Torii... but I did A/B my Torii III to the IV, and I prefer the III's lusciousness to the IV's more clinical sound... your speakers, sources and room will surely be different and your preferences may vary.  It will be interesting to hear your impressions.

IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #172 - 10/26/13 at 03:34:44

Well darn it this amp is just super awesome that since I have plugged it in I forgot about my mini torii.  I have noticed everything just went up a notch in a good way, especially the bass department and clarity compared to my mini torii.  Now I just love my mini torii but since I got the MKIV I have had no desire to listen to it lol.  I still have burning in to do as I have only like 30 hours on it.  Even my wife who is just the best, mentioned how good the MKIV sounded and she never comments on my audio stuff lol.

My setup is,  iMac--Anedio U2 usb converter---Van Alstine Vision dac---Torii---Trapezium speakers,  though speakers will be upgraded eventually to the err's or hr-1.
Thank you decware team for making an amazing amp and having such wonderful service. Cheesy

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 10/26/13 at 06:22:58

Great news JazzToGo. Keep us informed. I really look forward to hearing the MkIV!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #174 - 10/27/13 at 00:27:53

I have finished the Owner's Manual for the TORII MK IV.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK4.pdf

Sorry it took so long!  Now on to the web page!

-Steve  

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 10/27/13 at 00:34:12

Many thanks!

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 10/27/13 at 04:04:39

Thanks Steve! You just answered many questions.

Can we use 6L6 output tubes in place of the KT-66's?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #177 - 10/27/13 at 06:07:38

Quote:
Speaker Impedance Switch (cont.)
The amplifier is sold with the option of being wired for 8 and 16 ohm speakers. Irregardless
of which way you had your amplifier wired at the factory, the higher impedance will always
be with the switch towards the front of the amp. Lower impedance will always be with the
switch towards the rear of the amplifier.

I'm no grammar Nazi (hell, I'm barely literate  ;D), but seriously, ouch.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 10/27/13 at 15:42:24

On Websters....ir·re·gard·less adverb \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Definition of IRREGARDLESS

nonstandard
:  regardless
Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
Examples of IRREGARDLESS

I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep. —Ring Lardner, The Big Town, 1921
Origin of IRREGARDLESS

probably blend of irrespective and regardless
First Known Use: circa 1912

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #179 - 10/27/13 at 16:11:57

Yes, "irregardless" didn't sting me in that sentence. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #180 - 10/27/13 at 20:23:14

Quote:
Irregardless Versus Regardless
First, let's talk about irregardless. Some people mistakenly use irregardless when they mean “regardless.” Regardless means “regard less,” “without regard,” or despite something. For example, Squiggly will eat chocolate regardless of the consequences.

The prefix ir- (i-r) is a negative prefix, so if you add the prefix ir to a word that's already negative like regardless, you're making a double-negative word that literally means “without without regard.”

Language experts speculate that irregardless comes from a combination of the words regardless and irrespective and that another reason people might say "irregardless" is that they are following the pattern of words like irregular and irreplaceable. But regardless already has the -less suffix on the end, so it's not like those other words.

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/irregardless-versus-regardles...

tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 10/27/13 at 20:30:21

Is this a thread about the new Torii MK IV?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #182 - 10/27/13 at 20:34:19

Quote:
Is this a thread about the new Torii MK IV?

Not after I wrecked it.  :P

CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 10/27/13 at 20:48:26

I have about 100 hours on my Torii MKIII to MK IV. It's been on, non-stop, for four days.  I did some serious listening today. Stock new production EL-34 junk, I am using for break-in, sound pretty bad. It's been too long to remember what they sounded like before the mod. NOS RTF EL-34's sound wonderful. I have a feeling some will like the MKIII better but maybe not with KT-66's. First impressions are the amp is more accurate and the bass is more like SS (much better low end). It defiantly sounds better... something I never thought could happen. I won't go as far to say it sounds $800 better. That is subjective and the Torii MKIII already sounded so good it actually sounds better than I expected. I will say it's a bit less warm sounding in the midrange. I suspect the warm has been replaced with a more accurate reproduction of the source.

In short, I am very happy with the upgrade!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #184 - 10/27/13 at 21:14:05

Thanks for weighing in Roy.

Makes me feel happy for you, and happy for me that I think staying with the III is right for me. Smiley

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #185 - 10/28/13 at 01:02:19

Steve- Thank you for the owners manual. As a future owner, I had a fear that I would have my amp before I had a manual and would have to flood the forum with questions about the switches etc. Looking to get that amp in another month or so. Still have stuff to sell though……

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #186 - 10/30/13 at 04:33:14

The owner's manual will be updated with additional information about possible output tubes soon.

Meanwhile, the same information is now on the new TORII MK IV page.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII.htm

It's kind of a last minute surprise... because KT66 are not the only great sounding tube option for a TORII MK IV.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 10/30/13 at 05:27:30

Steve, thanks for the additional info on output tube choices!  

With 200+ hours on my conversion,  I have to say that I'm super happy with the Tung Sol KT66's.

Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 10/30/13 at 07:16:12

That is a pretty great way to illustrate different power tubes. Thanks!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 10/30/13 at 17:57:39

I agree that the meter chart on the web page is useful.  I also agree in the assessment between the EL34 and KT66.  I would have rated the properties in a similar manner if voting.  I have been settling in with the KT66s as sounding better for me and this confirms what I am hearing.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #190 - 10/30/13 at 18:35:52

From those charts, it's looking like KT77 might be a good option as well!

I wonder if the Mystery Amp will be as versatile. It has far fewer tubes than the MK IV.

Damn that MK IV is one sexy lookin' tube filled beast!

Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #191 - 10/30/13 at 19:14:40

I really love the visual presentation of the output tube choices. Cheesy

Very original !!!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 10/30/13 at 19:17:19

LR,  I'm checking out the KT77 also, as a KT66 alternative.  Depending on the tube supplier/maker, it may be a good way to go.

Mike

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #193 - 10/31/13 at 02:03:26

When I click on the link Steve provided, it takes me to the MkIII site not the MkIV. Am I doing something wrong??

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #194 - 10/31/13 at 02:11:09

Looks like it got flipped back to the MK III page. Either it's an error on the host side, or Steve might be updating/modifying the MK IV page.

Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #195 - 10/31/13 at 02:43:53

If you can't see the new Torii MK4 web page, try refreshing your web browser.

This worked for me.

BTW, thanks to Steve again for giving us the early bird discount.
I saved over US$800 in total ($500 price difference + $300 Pelican Case).

The Pelican case is still FOC at the moment so there is still potential savings of US$300 for anyone sitting on the fence right now.

My Torii MK4 finally arrived at my doorstep! Smiley

I'm currently burning in the equipment.
Fresh out of the box, the amp sounds wonderful.
I popped in a complete fresh set of NOS tubes.
Based on my experience, the rectifier and output tubes need a long burn in before any sonic judgements can be made.

Will post  more detailed impressions soon after I hit the 100hr burn in mark.

IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #196 - 11/07/13 at 05:33:25

I'm trying new input tubes Siemens E88, but have also ordered some Mullard E88CC for warmer sound, the Klipsch RF7-ii I'm using are far too bright, the horns overtake the room, I have to calm the top end somehow, maybe use a (yuk) graphic equalizer!!! Will be going back to my Paradigms Monitor 9's if I can't get the Klipsch's to sound better!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #197 - 11/07/13 at 06:06:55

The solution to your dilemma dalerf is aTorii MK.III...!  I have compared them side by side.....! Grin

IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #198 - 11/07/13 at 06:25:18

Is the Torii III warmer sounding amp than the Torii IV?

IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #199 - 11/07/13 at 06:26:36

I will get a better idea when I hook up my old speakers Paradigm Monitor 9's I think they will sound a lot better than the Klipsch.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print