Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 14:14:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinion on speaker / amp match-up? (Read 280 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Opinion on speaker / amp match-up?
05/24/13 at 00:30:01

Hello: I have a Zen Triode amp (white one), and I'd like to know your opinion of matching up this amp with a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIIs... They have 99db efficiency, but of course, a three-way X-over...

They're not my first choice, but I may be able to pick up a pair for a fairly good price...

Thank you in advance... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Opinion on speaker / amp match-up?
Reply #1 - 05/24/13 at 02:36:33

I've seen a few posts about this combo and seems like it's the Heresy's themselves that people either like or not, but the amp should drive them to good volume since they have such great sensitivity.  

I've never had horns, but the size of your room may be a determing factor as I have read that horns need some distance between the speakers and listening position to really blossom and that a good subwoofer to pair the Heresy with is also generally needed, so a lot of people prefer the La Scala instead as it goes deeper.

I think they are very cool looking though and very retro, but I wish I could give you more advice about their sound.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: Opinion on speaker / amp match-up?
Reply #2 - 05/24/13 at 16:52:18

They'll work, and if they're a good price you can resell for no net loss if they're not your cup of tea.

They will give a taste of that 'Heritage' sound; forward, dynamic, live sounding, high fun factor.  With the se84 amps, they will be mid-centric with a lot of airy highs.  Cabin gain is your friend to help restore the balance, so don't be afraid to play with deep corner placement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print