Send Topic Print
Garage stereo (Read 16615 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Garage stereo
05/16/13 at 23:57:17

I need to get myself a new garage stereo. I gave mine away a year or so ago to a friend who didn't have a way to play music.
I'm thinking about something that will play at deafening levels because I like to cuss a lot when I work on these stupid old motorcycles, plus I like to piss off my neighbors. Lawyers shouldn't live in the country if they can't stand the noise of my music, motorcycles and guns!
So what I need is loud and cheap. Any ideas? I might run it off of my Ipod or if I feel like blowing some cash maybe a laptop.
Should I scan Craigslist for AV stuff or look for a T amp or something like that? It will need to be tough enough to survive hot and cold because it isn't going to be taken into the house.
Tough, cheap and loud!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Garage stereo
Reply #1 - 05/17/13 at 08:59:48

How much did you want to spend?  I was thinking:

1. Craig's List Laptop
2. DAC
3. Ingrated Amp
4. Speakers
5. Cables

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/17/13 at 14:28:54

Donnie, I've been using one of these in my second system til I can get my Torii Mk II repaired and back in . . . I can recommend it, as a gainclone amp it has a nice sound (not a tube sound, but not a transistor sound either, I'd say poised in the midst somewhere) its biggest strength being perhaps its neutral tonal balance (not edgy like almost all transistors I've heard) and it looks kick ass in person.

http://www.dalaudio.com/Dalaudio-Retro-3886-Chip-Amp-STD-p/dalr3886std-r2.1.htm

A little dull at first, but after a few hundred hours of use it kicks in well with dynamics and body.

You can also special order this integrated that has the same amp circuitry and a passive pre with three inputs:

http://www.dalaudio.com/DALAUDIO-LM3886-Integrated-Amplifier-p/dal3886int.htm

A nice little shop run by a nice crew; they work 1.5 miles from my new home.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/13 at 14:57:54

I built a boom box with detachable speakers which works pretty well:

1. T amp
2. 12v SLA
3. old gen 5 iPod
4. Minimus 7 speakers with the Zilch mod to smooth them out
5. Passive sub from cheap home theater system.

Everything fits in the box so I can play it that way or I can take out the speakers to position them for a little imaging.

The t-amp has a sub out pot so I can adjust to blend it in.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/13 at 16:54:16

Lon,  I like that Dalaudio amp you're using (and the integrated looks interesting).  It looks like a lot of amp for the $.

How does it compare to all the Decware units you've been using for years?

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/17/13 at 17:04:47

As I said it's not a Decware amp, but it's more so than any other solid state I've had in my home. It's a fine amp for garage or second system use, not for mainline listening. My opinion after two to three weeks or so of use.

I'd say it sounds more like the SET (or SEP?) Decware units than the PP Torii amps. In that it has a bit rounder sound, as opposed to the other PP solid state amps I've heard. I'm running mine with my trusty old CSP2, ERRs, an Arcam SACD player, and pretty revealing cabling and it isn't really offending in any way. It just doesn't have the extensive meatiness and holography of the Decware amps. It's not completely devoid of these qualities, but it dosn't have them to the magnitude of a Decware amp. When you live with Decware for as long as we have, it's always noticeable when those are missing. The owner told me a number of SET owners have replaced their amps with these because of the lack of heat and ease of use, no maintenance etc. I doubt a Decware owner would replace their Decware amp with one of these in a main system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/13 at 00:26:21

Lon,  thanks for the info!  I'll stick to Decware amps in my two systems.
...But it does look attractive for a garage/outdoor system.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/18/13 at 02:27:28

It's an interesting amp Mike. I've only tried it with eithr a CSP2+ or CSP2, would be interesting to hear it with the matching passive preamp from DALAUDIO.

It's an intersting sound, fast like Decware, and clear as a bell. But the "warmth" we're used to isn't there.

It's my first encounter with "chip" amps. I bet some of the best engineers could come up with great amps with that technology or have; would be interesting to see what Steve could come up with--I bet it would be a stellar amp.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 05/18/13 at 02:44:15

I can see how this is going to end up. There will be a couple of $K missing from my bank account and I will have something rivaling the stereo in my fortified bunker. I have never been one to hold back on my obsessions. My friends have sounddesigns all in one stereos from Wallyworld in their garages, I will have some esoteric world beater garage stereo. Stop me before I spend!

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #9 - 05/18/13 at 12:53:30

Donnie

I have a nice power amp that might fit your needs.  Its  a Peavey CS-800, 200w rms per channel and can be bridged to get a single channel at 800w.  It can drive a 4 ohm load in stereo.  It has compression, which is kinda cool - no clipping. And, unlike the DAC you gave me, it works.

As you can see in the photo, sort of, its testing out at 43.99 v rms into an 8 ohm load at 470 hz, or 242 watts per channel in stereo mode.  I've tried to sell it a couple times, but haven't had any luck.  Since it weighs 54 pounds, shipping is high.

I love my DAC and use it every day, so I will return the favor and give you this amp if you want it.  You should be able to drive it direct from a laptop (without a preamp) if you want, I ran that way for quite a while in my shop with a desktop and no preamp.  I can deliver it to you at Decfest 2013 or I can Fedex it to you if you want to pay the shipping bill.  There's no rush, its just sitting in my garage and I've given up trying to sell it.

Dan

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/18/13 at 15:13:02

@Lon, those DAL Audio amps are pretty slick. Just about perfect it seems for a garage or second listening room.

Anyway, in my garage, for the longest time, I just had the Apple Stereo "boom box," with an iPod, and it was fine, especially while washing the car, etc. But this thread made me realize I have a networkable DAC, a Carver M1.5T [had planned to use to power my sub project, but unnecessary with the Rhythmik Audio amps], and several spare speakers.

OTOH, I also have a working Apple boombox that fills the garage nicely, takes up no room, my kids can use it, I don't care if it gets splattered, and it actually lets me turn off my "that doesn't sound as good as it could if I just did X or Y" compulsion.

I love you guys, because now and then, you make me look downright reasonable. Wink

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 05/18/13 at 20:59:37

Dan,
I'll take you up on your offer! I'm not in any hurry either, October will be fine with me. The fact that the ZDAC-1 is working well for you makes me happy.
Now I need speakers! Who has some power hungry speakers? The only requirement is that they play loud enough to piss off the neighbors! A lot of bass boom would be cool. Something that I can hear above their constant lawn mowing! Some recommendations on some hard core death metal to play for them would be appreciated also, you know Cookie Monster singer, father rapin' music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 05/18/13 at 21:52:37

Meets your criteria, and it's damned good music too.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/18/13 at 22:13:10

They`ll love this one,... and it`s my bassiest album.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #14 - 05/19/13 at 14:29:24

Donnie

I'll bring it.  See you in Oct

Dan

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 06/06/13 at 15:28:54

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-812

I would not pass up that Peavey from Dank either! So, skip my suggestion here Smiley.

I did get one of these above. Even though it will never make it in to the Listening Room...it is fun to crank it on my Klipsch RF-7 II Speakers.

I have a 1976 - 81 manufacture Rotel in my Garage running my Parker Crusader's....fun too.    -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 08/20/13 at 16:12:24

I put my Klipsch RF-7 II Speakers in my Garage with my Rotel....an Monster Cable IC from the early 90's....MK1000 I think.....I would have to look behind/CD Player....it adds some low end kick....a colored IC obviously...but in a good way for these Speakers and System. The garage doors are insulated and the walls are finished...I have a natural gas heat unit from the ceiling too...and enough stuff on the walls for Acoustic Treatment garage style.

Sounds pretty freakin' awesome.  I don't like Klipsch with Tubes or in my family room/they lost the fidelity battle against my Polk SRS SDA 1.2 Speakers...but with plenty of room to breath in the Garage (3 Car)...I am keeping them.   Party on Wayne-party on Garth.  -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 08/23/13 at 01:26:22

Someone mentioned laptop.

I have a couple older laptops that are great for garage laptops (IBM T61) for about $100.

I use them to look up woodworking plans, calculate QRD diffusers, and just play music though an old Adcom amp.

I'm trying to pay off some bills and save up for a Torii IV or Mystery amp...so I'll probably be posting some stuff up here and there.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print