Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 11:41:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP3 with Vintage McIntosh MX110 (Read 6185 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

CSP3 with Vintage McIntosh MX110
08/23/13 at 01:44:44

Hi All, I was just wondering your thoughts on pairing up a McIntosh MX110 (Tube Preamp/Tuner) with the CSP3?  Also. could I use the MX110 for only the tuner function while using the CSP3 as the real Preamp?

Finally does anybody know if the CSP3 can be ordered with 4-6 inputs instead of headphone jacks?  Since I already have the Taboo MkII and it already has headphone jacks (not to mention that I don't listen to headphones at all) I have no interest in any headphone jacks for the CSP3 whatsoever and would rather just have enough inputs for all of my stuff.

I was thinking this as my setup:

Preamp/Amp:

1. Decware - CSP3 Preamp
2. Decware - Taboo MkII Amp

Sources:

3. Decware - ZP3 Phonostage
4. McIntosh - MX110 Tuner
5. Rega - RP6 TT
6. Rega - DAC

So I need at least 4 Inputs ... I thought about the switchbox, but would prefer to go straight to the preamp if possible.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CSP3 with Vintage McIntosh MX110
Reply #1 - 08/23/13 at 03:48:29

Hans, I don't think it's possible to have four inputs. Of course Steve is the final answer here, but I've never seen it offered or on a production model and looking at the amp I don't see that it could be done.

I have two CSP2+ to use my four sources. (Two inputs on the Torii Mk III).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/13 at 08:11:44

Quote:
Lon said,
Hans, I don't think it's possible to have four inputs. Of course Steve is the final answer here, but I've never seen it offered or on a production model and looking at the amp I don't see that it could be done.

I have two CSP2+ to use my four sources. (Two inputs on the Torii Mk III).

I was afraid that would be the answer ... I like your idea of 2 CSP's, but that is way out of my price range.  So I guess the least expensive route would be a CSP# and Zen Switch Box.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if combining a CSP# with a ZSB, would I need caps on the ZSB or is that only if you get the ZSB with a volume control?

I see this as a hole in Decware's lineup ... I wonder if it's ever crossed Steve's mind that there are people who want a preamp that can accomodate their sources and don't care about headphone use?

I would want a Preamp with a rotary switch that can accomodate at least 4 - 6 sources, balance controls (or dual volumes) and a sub.  With that type of Preamp available, you could order any amp with/without inputs or volume controls ... Is that too much to ask with all the other stellar stuff he has to offer? Huh

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/23/13 at 11:08:02

Don't know about caps.

Well, there is the Ultra. Smiley Too costly though, I know. I think the real reason we don't see such an item is that he hasn't found a way to have the spectacular sonics yet with multiple inputs. In time. . . in time, as Decware grows. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 08/23/13 at 18:11:47

This would get you 4 inputs, a trim control for each channel which can be used to control balance, and a master volume control.  The dot centered between the two vol controls on the ZSB would be a third knob for the rotary selector switch.  I forgot to draw it.

Our 1/2 meter DSG interconnect is ideal for connecting the two units together.

That said, yes, I've been thinking about it for years.   I have several designs but it really boils down to having to create a new chassis that fits in a standard audio rack and somehow get it to match the rest of our gear.  I'll eventually figure it out and then we'll have a full function preamp in the line.  Perhaps next year or the year after.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 08/23/13 at 20:23:55

Wow. That's cool Steve. A great way to get and control four inputs.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/25/13 at 05:42:54

Thanks Steve, this is the most cost effective way to do it with all Decware gear for sure, but how would it compete in sound against the CSP2+ or CSP3?  The way everybody raves about the CSP2+ ... that's the big question! Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print