Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 16:21:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why do different have different sound to it? (Read 2794 times)
Ricardojoa
Verified Member

why do different have different sound to it?
04/04/13 at 06:47:46

As the title says, why do different tubes have different sound to it? do they change the frequency response some how?
Thanks for any explanations

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Re: why do different have different sound to it?
Reply #1 - 04/04/13 at 09:33:18

By "different" tubes, are your referring to different brands of the same tube family?

Or different tube types e.g. 12AX7 vs 6DJ8?

For the 1st case, better tube companies such as RCA, TUNG SOL, MULLARD, TELEFUNKEN .... etc use better quality materials.
By way of analogy, it is like comparing copper vs silver cables.
Hence the sonic difference, usually positive w.r.t tubes of those brands.

For the 2nd case, it is more technical.
There is a technical characteristic of tubes related to the Rp ( Plate Resistance).

mU ( Amplification) = Rp x Gm (Transconductance)

The gist is that different types of tubes have a different Rp.
Rp has a bearing on the dynamic range audio characteristic of the audio equipment.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: why do different have different sound to it?
Reply #2 - 04/04/13 at 17:33:48

When I think about a tube being a alive with electric current passing through the parts, and within a given vacuum, it is not surprising that they sound different. As L.S. indicates, differences can be from material quality (a surprising number of 50-60s tubes are extra good), but also construction quality, and design. Different material thicknesses, shapes, space in the tubes, getter shapes and locations...these all seem to effect the tube sound. If you have a look at a bunch of a single tube type, you will find similarities, but also many differences in design and construction. These all effect the measured values L.S. refers to. But two tubes of the same type, that measure the same, and of different construction will sound different. I think this is part of what makes tubes interesting to tube lovers....depending on their makeup, they are sort of alive and impart personality that is compelling.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print