Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 21:27:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sound Stage Depth Discovery (or maybe not) (Read 3862 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Sound Stage Depth Discovery (or maybe not)
04/04/13 at 20:36:15

I recently moved my equipment to a smaller room to acheive the volume I desired out of my new SE34I.3.  Worked well and I am getting plenty of volume.  It also is a room the rest of the family does not use so I don't have to worry about kids running into speakers, etc.

The speakers are out about 40 inches or so, and the soundstage is pretty deep.  But also, I have a door mid way between the speakers that opens into another room (a little used room).

Because at Zenfest Steve had a doorway built in to one end of his listening room, I figured this was done on purpose and opened the door in my listening room.  Wow.  The result was a huge increase in depth of soundstage.

If fact, it was so deep that it had a little bit of a tunnel effect which left me wondering if the reason Steve has the wide opening in his room is to provide a wider "pipe" and not get depth of soundstage "width" compression.

I don't understand what the sound waves are doing to produce this effect, but thought I would toss out my experience to see if anyone else has experienced it and/or understands what is going on.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Re: Sound Stage Depth Discovery (or maybe not)
Reply #1 - 04/07/13 at 03:39:08

Interesting. Once had a pair of speakers that straddled a pair of outside french doors, but so long ago I don't recall whether there was a similar effect or not.

This has me pondering whether this would work with a desktop arrangement e.g. with something like a cabinet open/closed behind. And windows...?

If I get to try this out I'll report back.

IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/13 at 18:03:59

I once had speakers on either side of a big old-fashioned (i.e. brick and mortar, and wide and deep) fireplace.  It sounded as if the performers were in the fireplace.  Sort of disconcerting....

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/13 at 19:15:16

Same here.  The kids would show their friends that our fireplace played music.  

The door opens into a furnace room so I turn off the furnace when I listen.  My wife is happy the weather is warming up.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print