Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 09:42:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo MkII: For Sale Under Market (Read 9156 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Taboo MkII: For Sale Under Market
04/01/13 at 17:04:39

Hi All:

My Taboo was my first piece of Decware gear, and is still in my avatar. Because I have a Taboo MkIII on the way, I would like to sell the Taboo. I would prefer to sell it to someone:

1. New to good audio;
2. A service member or veteran;
3. Someone for whom retail price or normal used price is a burden or bit of a stretch.

Now, I am not the "Classifieds Police." If someone tells me they meet these criteria, i am inclined to accept them at their word. If someone I know well from this forum [Lon, Jim, Ron] vouches for someone, then all the better. If anyone here who has been registered for more than three months knows of someone to suggest or to act as a buyer for, that works for me, too. I would just like to see this wonderful amp go to a good home and help someone get started on the quality audio path.

In any case, this is a 2011 Taboo MkII with a cherry base, VCAPS, standard, non-stepped attenuator with black round knob [I may have a chicken beak I can throw in], and SE headphone jack. As a bonus, I will include a set of Decware ICs, and a couple of extra tubes for each socket.

Price is $475 + $20 shipping in CONUS. PayPal preferred.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Re: Taboo MkII: For Sale Under Market
Reply #1 - 04/01/13 at 17:47:32

You are one cool dude to offer this Pale Rider.  Hopefully people show integrity and only buy this w/ your intentions in mind.  Well done.

Greg  

P.S.  I fit the bill on 2 and 3, but have a Torii MK lll on order, it's in  "parts pulled" status.  I'm proud of (2), and willing to deal w/ (3)  :)

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/13 at 18:03:16

Thanks much Greg. Appreciate the good words, and props on your order. You will love the Torii.

More importantly, from a grateful citizen, thank you for your service.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/13 at 18:11:37

Your welcome.

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/13 at 22:52:49

This is a great opportunity for somebody to enter a wonderful hi-fi world of magic!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Anderoan
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 00:55:21

well my first post, I am intersted in the MKII, I am not in the services, but I am very interested in  the Taboo, my first attempt at a home rig, I recently acquired a set of the HE500s, and came across Decware! I am inspired, my e-mail is jkerp11@yahoo.com if you'd have some interest in selling it? thanks!

IP Logged
Anderoan
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 01:15:08

it is a very charitable thing that you are doing, I think Decwares gear are works of art, and anyone would be lucky to be introduced to higher audio, my gear until recently has been portable rigs, I have the CLAS and a HP-P1, which I run with th iPod Classic 7th gen, and along with ALOs MKII the 500s sound very nice, but I would love to hear how a great tube amp could make them sing! music is therapy to me, so it is all very important to me, a great way to relax after work, but I am looking to expand my audio experience, as I know that there is another level to take it all to, anyways, its all good all of the time, I just know it can be better since I found Decware!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 02:36:49

My first DECWARE amp was a headphone amp, too. The TABOO will drive the Hi-Fi Man headphones just perfect. Up at DECFEST I did an A,B,C comparison with the headphone outputs of the TABOO, CSP2 and MINI TORII. The TABOO came out on top.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Anderoan
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 21:41:47

thanks for the feedback, that makes me happy I am in the right area, I was thinking about the CSP2+, but I am settling on the TABOO, I even love the name, something wonderful and secret, sshhh I'm busy listening! lol,

coming into Los Angeles, bringing in a couple of keys, as I am listening to Arlo Guthrie on the 500s, wow I am liking it out of my portable rig, I am dying to be hearing it thru the TABOO sometime, I can only imagine, as now it is only thru the CLAS>ALOs MKII,

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 23:10:23

CSP2+ is great all around head amp/preamp, but the TABOO with low impedance headphones is really special.

55   IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/05/13 at 14:49:10

VERY interested. Hmmm... gotta  talk to my wife tonight. Thanks for offering us such a wonderful deal!

Ron

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/10/13 at 02:20:26

I found the manual in pdf form online.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84TSowners%20manual.pdf

If you cannot use this link, I can send the manual to you. Just send me your email.

The TABOO can drive speakers exceptionally well. You should have no problem in that department.

55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/10/13 at 14:45:00

While my second Torii was in the shop recently, I used the Taboo to drive my back channel speakers. Did quite well. Of course, that was driving ERRs.

Just as an FYI to anyone who be interested in this amp, I seem to have lost power in the signal tube socket. I haven't had a chance to diagnose yet, but this has caused me to re-think how I share this amp with its next owner. So, if my diagnostics confirm, and Steve agrees, the amp needs to be serviced, I will send it back in, and then I will still sell it under the terms spec'ed in this thread [with possible shipping to new owner if we find one]. In the alternative, for anyone who is so inclined, I will gift the amp as is [still need you to pay shipping], and let the new owner decide how to get the problem rectified [so to speak]. This is not my way of dumping off the amp; I suspect this is an easy fix, and as I said, I haven't even gotten to the diagnostics. But, given the uncertainty of my schedule, if someone is impatient enough to "have at it, as is," then I am game.

IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/10/13 at 18:57:51

That stinks! I am fairly good with electronics. I've been an "Interior Communications Electrician" in the Navy for far too long troubleshooting and repairing alarms,various indicators and other electronics. Let me know if you are able to diagnose what the problem might be. As long as it's not transformer related (doesn't sound like it would be) I would be pretty confident.

Of course, I understand if you want to give someone else the opportunity to own some Decware gear. That’s totally cool too!!

Sorry I deleted my earlier post- I didn't see that there were replies to it before I did so. I was browsing around the forums last night and realized I already asked that question and got responses about a year ago. Thank you, though, for the answers to my questions!!!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/11/13 at 13:37:14

Hey Ron, I will get it figured out, but you're right, it still stinks. This is a sweet amp. Right now, I am in discussion with a member of the forum who has stepped forward and expressed an interest in what would be his first piece of Decware.

IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 04/11/13 at 21:34:56

Awesome! Very good to hear. Thanks so much for your appreciation, Greg!!

IP Logged
DG
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 05/17/13 at 20:23:37

Whatever became became of this?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/17/13 at 23:27:09

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, but failed to here, my Taboo found a nice home with a worthy vet and his family. I solved the signal tube issue [turned out to be a non-issue, just an error on my part], and donated the amp and some accessories.

Thanks for checking; regrets for not posting sooner.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print