Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:24:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Built a new Housewrecker (Read 8574 times)
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Built a new Housewrecker
03/24/13 at 18:51:56

I just completed a new construction project, begun last summer.  (Pics to follow, time allowing)

15" Housewrecker using a fairly powerful JBL M151 with a "highish"  Fs (40Hz) in the upper large chamber (magnet in the central ISO chamber), coupled to a face-to-face relatively cheap pair of 16Hz Fs, High Q drivers (Jamo  from Parts Express).

Interestingly, this configuration has 4 useful peaks in the low bass region as far as I can measure.  (64Hz, 53Hz, 42Hz and 35Hz)  and smoothish response out to 260 Hz before it drops fast. On the low end it drops steeply below 22Hz, but still has something blowing huge amounts of air well below. Without really testing further, I am afraid that the drivers are becoming dangerously unloaded at those frequencies.

I doubled the outer walls, tripled the baffle thicnkesses, keeping the internal volumes to spec, used PVC pipe for the top vent, flared with 8" coupling upsize adapters on both ends.

When I cross this box over at 45Hz and mate it to my other home theater fronts (JBL E140s/2370/2425/2405 custom fit enclosure), I have really heavy bass in my house.

I can not wait until I am "home alone"  long enough to see what this new combo can do with the POWER ON! At a "whisper,"  OK with the wife, I am super pleased.

BTW, it has taken me so long to complete this project because I had to take a few months to have hip replacement  surgery for the second time. Undecided

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Built a new Housewrecker
Reply #1 - 03/24/13 at 19:23:09

DD, welcome back to posting. Sorry to hear about the surgery. I'm sure I'll be there one of these days if I can live long enough!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/13 at 07:57:34

It is all good for me, Lon. I am healing well and the previous surgery from last year is completely healed and feels fine. Life is once again good. I can ride my bike with my daughter!! Now we just need some decent riding weather.  :'(  The six inches of snow today was completely uncalled for!  :(

I am really confident in my doctor and he seems even more confident in me. Last visit (this past Monday) was my eight weeks out check-up and all is well. Still on pain meds, but I am making it.

OT:

I am not going to be able to leave this HouseWrecker "in the house" for much longer, though. I built it for the back yard, but I am testing it with my home theater system (o'scope, computer, signal generator, etc) as long as the precious wife will allow (I do not push against her grace with this type of thing, however).

Right now, the entire house is asleep (I just came from work - a late night due to complete physical inventory of our/my Best Buy store today :yikes:) and this thing is just whispering low effects playing "The Hobbit."  I can feel this thing's breath but barely hear any sound at all. This seems like another success story as far as subwoofers go.

I think it will do well on the back porch! The kind of bass I am hearing kind of reminds me of my old '71 Firebird with a 455 HO motor. It always felt and sounded "lazy" and effortless until you urge it to wake up and make an effort.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/25/13 at 12:15:44

Glad it went well. My late wife's father has had three hip replacements. (He likes to say that and watch people do the math). One, then the other, then a redo of the first. He's always happy because the pain is gone when the healing is done. I hope he lives to have a few more.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/13 at 21:31:12

After a month and a half of extensive (dickin' around) Testing,  indoors and mostly out, I have placed the JBL (Fs=40 Hz) face down in the lower chamber and the higher Q, very low (Fs = 16 Hz) JAMO drivers in the upper chamber, still iso loaded, out of phase, etc ...

I have padded the upper chamber ( 1st time I felt it was needed, but in this case it is and does amazing things to allow these drivers to get low)  with lots of acrylic stuffing and extended the upper port by two inches.  

NOW, I am extremely pleased with the results.

I do not have room for this type of enclosure in my inside areas, but outside, it does not even need a crossover to enhance my outdoor system. I can just set this  6 Ohm enclosure on the same channel with one of my other  sub enclosures, electrically parallel, and you can only hear AND FEEL  it huFF!

Happy, here!

Once I get it coated with a decent outdoor finish, I will just relax and enjoy it for ages!

Wink

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/29/13 at 21:45:36

Today, I took advantage of the fact that all my neighbors were heading out to work this morning (I am still on leave of absence to recover from hip surgery. I have to use a cane still) and all the aged ones, several houses  away, are mostly deaf anyway (I trust).

I set things up on my back deck and cranked this enclosure up all by itself at first, then adding a very powerful full range enclosure (no other subs).

My high boxes are rather large,  8 cubic feet (tallish) enclosures each with  2 - JBL E140s,  1- JBL E120 (in its own sealed enclosure), JBL 2380/2445 bi-radial horn/4 inch compression driver combo, via passive XO (sorry, I forget the JBL model number, bringing the horns in passive at about 800Hz, ), dual 2405s (ultra hi-frequency drivers) via passive N7000 XO.  In other words, these upper Sohmbitches are very efficient, incredibly accurate and, if need be, they can get extremely loud!!

I was originally trying to stay vintage with all my drivers AND power,  but I am using a very powerful modern-ish high power amplifier for the sub.  The vintage electronic 2-Way Stereo crossovers I am using are Crown VFX-2. (I am shooting for a totally vintage set up, eventually - ;^)).

Using 1 600W/channel sub amp (driving the Housewrecker components - about 3 times as much power as I need, but HEY, it is one of what I have on hand!!), two DC-300s, bi-amped (1 for the dual 15s, and 1 for the 12s, horns and Ultra HF drivers.

I crossed over the sub (Housewrecker) at 70Hz (using a modernish Crown CTs-1200) allowing the dual 15s to come in strong at that point (using 1 DC-300 for all four 15s), then the single 12s, horns and super tweets came in at 220 Hz (using the second DC-300).

The best way to put it ...

A single 15" HW, doing only low sub duty, kept up with the rest of the system quite well!! REALLY WELL!!

I came up with those XO points after almost an hour of really loud testing/measuring with pink noise and several CDs to enjoy.

I guess I just wanted to prove to myself that as good as this thing sounds at a whisper, it will also shake the ground if called upon to do so.

Only two people stopped by during all my testing - one very confused teen tooling by on a scooter  (I discovered that I was older than his grandfather, but somewhat more cool, it seems) and my neighbor's wife from three doors down, driving home after a shopping trip.

Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print