Verified Member

"Life is too
important to be
taken
seriously."

AC source advice
03/19/13 at 03:08:33

Hey all,
    I live in the sticks and we are prone to power outage and surge.  I currently have my stuff protected by a surge protector but I am concerned about the possible effects on our most fundamental part of the chain...the juice.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
John

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Re: AC source advice
Reply #1 - 03/19/13 at 10:18:57

I'd suggest looking at Red Wine Audio amps which run off rechargeable batteries.
They have a good rep and will solve your power line problems permanently.

The red wine audio amps cost the same as one of those expensive power regenerators!!!

Just my POV. Smiley

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/13 at 11:12:15

What's your budget?  You can go simple and then into some exotic stuff.  PS Audio and Shunyata come to mind, but there are a lot of others as well ... an entry level product for PS Audio is the Dectet (around $500).

IP Logged
jkiddmd
Verified Member

"Life is too
important to be
taken
seriously."

Reply #3 - 03/19/13 at 13:47:17

I had no idea.  Well, there goes another thousand bucks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/19/13 at 14:06:06

I'm a long-time user of PS Audio power products. In my second system I use two Duet power centers which really help the sound and protect the equipment, and the new Dectet is purported to be even better sounding. I'd recommend that. . . unless you want to spend even more on one of the Power Plant regenerators. . . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/19/13 at 15:07:23

John, depends on what you are solving for. If you are solving for actual outages, then you probably already know the answer: UPS battery backups on key components and a good old Honda in the garage or a whole-house generator.  For protecting the equipment in the event of a live power outage, as well as conditioning it short of full regeneration, I don't think you can beat the PS Audio Dectet. For protection plus full-on regeneration of clean power while your grid is working, the PS Audio Power Plants are simply amazing. There are other good power products out there as well, and I have tried some of them, but only a fraction. These just happen to be the ones I know and prefer, and I also trust this manufacturer.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print