Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 16:16:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternatives to high end audio (Read 7089 times)
jkiddmd
Verified Member

"Life is too
important to be
taken
seriously."

Alternatives to high end audio
03/18/13 at 00:58:55

Hey gang.  I am new to this forum and very new to high end audio.  I have not been able to think about or read about anything else for about two months.  My plans for piecing together a system over a year have accelerated and now my first system is nearly finished.  I have been considering diverting money from retirement because hey, I am gonna use this stuff in retirement anyway...right?  I dont sleep well and if I hear the sightest crackle hum or pop in my headphones I leap up in a panic.  I was considering some alternatives to the audiophile life.  I could:

1) Join a cult
2) Become a crack addict
3) go the Howard Hughes obsessive compulsive route

Your thoughts?
John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Alternatives to high end audio
Reply #1 - 03/18/13 at 01:37:45

I recommend a less drastic path. Some sort of anti-stimulant. . . might be a nice Scotch, or a nice rolled smoke, or a cool little pill, whatever seems to suit your fancy and nature best. Smiley Just something so that hiss and pops don't bother you and you can be immersed in your upcoming excellent sound!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/18/13 at 01:38:58

And welcome! Talk to us of your plans!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jkiddmd
Verified Member

"Life is too
important to be
taken
seriously."

Reply #3 - 03/18/13 at 05:27:38

Well I will tell you, Lon.  A few month ago I was thinking about how I used to listen to music when I was in high school.  On Saturday my buddy and I would take our allowance for the week, head downtown on the bus, and then hit the record store.  Sometimes we knew exactly what we were looking  for and other times we would spend a couple hours just searching.  Then we would head home, crank up my Dad's sterreo, and spend hours listening to every beat and riff.  We would sift through the jacket reading every lyric and stare at mind bending art like Roger Dean's Yes album cover.
    Some 30 years later I find myself one day huffing and puffing in the gym while one of the thousand songs on my IPHONE bangs its way into my ear like it was being blown through and aluminum foil cone.  I wondered how I got here.  Why was I listening to this crap?  I realized that music had become the soundtrack and was no longer the main show.  So I set off to set this right.
    After getting a bit of advice I set up my listening room in (don't laugh) a 1965 Aladin travel trailer.  I got a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, a Rega Apollo CD player, and pumped the signal out to a pair of Sennheiser HD650 head phones.  What a gas.  I found myself just standing there listening to a whole song.  What a thrill it is to listen to a piece you have heard a thousand times and then suddenly hear something different, something you never new was there, even if it is something as seemingly benign as hearing a great vocalist take a breath between verses.  Some CD's I had neglected became new favorites.  Others were dissapointing.  I popped in my cherished Dire Straits Making Movies and was a little bummed to hear that the playback seemed so constricted, like somebody had crammed the whole group together into the corner of a room.  Then I ordered the Warner Brothers remastered Making Movies and I was stunned.  It was great!  What a difference.  Still, there was something not quite right.  It took me a while to figure it out and then it dawned on me.  "Mark Knopfler cannot sing!"  Oh good audio stuff is unforgiving.
    My wife and I like to take an occassional trip to the coast and stay at a little place that has a deck up on a cliff looking out over the Pacific.  When we go I pack up all my gear.  My wife thinks it is a bit crazy but what is better than looking out over ocean on a sunny day?  Doing the same with Yo Yo Ma's rendition of the Bach cello suites pumping into your head, holding a bloody mary in your left hand, a ranch dressing smothered Ruffles potato chip in your right.
    So now I need to buy an amp an I am fascinated with Decware.  I am so impressed with the reviews and each unit is a real piece of art.  I made the mistake of purchasing some bookshelf speakers first (B&W CDM-1, 88db 1W/1M.)  I did this before I learned of the low wattage revolution and high efficiency speakers.  I am not sure if one of the more resonably priced Decware amps will drive my speakers but the volume I have to fill is very small.  I think it is worth a try.  I can always get new speakers.
    Well I am looking forward to this forum.  Its fun to chit chat with some other audio enthusiasts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/18/13 at 08:10:02

John, thanks for sharing your audio history and plans for the future.

I used headphones a lot in the 'eighties because I lived in situations where that was the easiest to immerse myself in the music and because I began recording bands that I played in and used the 'phones for monitoring and evaluating tapes. I really tired of headphones and don't use them today. I just have never really enjoyed the staging and imaging as opposed to speakers.

I think that one of the smaller amps will work with your speakers for low volumes, though you'll find yourself wishing for more and eventually getting more. If you want to start off with more, the Torii Mk III is an amazing amp that you'll probably never replace. . . .But a stiffer entry fee.

You've quite an adventure ahead of you when you do have a Decware amp. It will be the start of more musical exploration both in software and hardware.

My venture into more serious audio playback began when I stopped playing in bands; I got married, I had to get more serious work, and yet I missed that creation of music and tried to get more fidelity out of recordings (especially since then I was very into music of the 'twenties, 'thirties, 'forties and 'fifties) that were involving me intellectually and emotionally. In a way creating and tuning and refining a stereo system is akin to creating music, the resulting sound textures and tones are in part created anew with your hardware and placement, etc. So it fulfills a creative outlet in part as well. Anyway, music slowly became what I focused on in my own private leisure hours, and slowly my wife began to enjoy it some, though it was still my own preserve for the most part. When I lost my wife to lymphoma and MDS I had even more time and resources to throw at the process and sunk even deeper into it! I'm facing a new phase where I'm relocating across the country to help my parents and will have a new room and a new schedule and probably frame of mind to play with. I'm looking forward to the audio part of this move (and the time with my family) though I'm dreading the dislocation and re-assembly of my home.

I identify with how you are experiencing music and what you wish to achieve. Best of luck and keep us posted here of  your progress! Smiley

IP Logged
jkiddmd
Verified Member

"Life is too
important to be
taken
seriously."

Reply #5 - 03/18/13 at 12:15:22

Will do!  Yeah I think I will just pay the stiff entry price.  With some things if you go cheap yoü wind up paying more in the end.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/18/13 at 13:47:58

John, then here's my last bit of heart-felt advice: get an order in. You'll wait three months. . . and you won't be charged til it ships, so as soon as you can, place an order. The waiting . . . well it's manageable. . . but hard.

IP Logged
jkiddmd
Verified Member

"Life is too
important to be
taken
seriously."

Reply #7 - 03/19/13 at 03:06:05

Got the all clear from the wife.  She is too good to me.  Thanks for the advice.
John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print