Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:48:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intermittent Regulator problem (Read 12791 times)
Hipfan

Intermittent Regulator problem
03/09/13 at 20:43:14

I'm having a problem with the right channel regulator (using a OA3). Sometimes it won't fire up or dies/dims during uses. At first I thought it was the tube, because I would replace the tube and it was OK. It just happened again. Now when I swap the left and right OA3, the right one is still dead. I have used DeoxIT on the tubes/sockets, so I'm pretty sure they are clean. Has anyone run into this problem? Thanks

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Intermittent Regulator problem
Reply #1 - 03/09/13 at 21:23:26

Not sure, but I think it could possibly be a rectifier or rectifier socket too. I think I recall that the Rectifiers come before the VRs. Have you tried cleaning the rectifiers and sockets, or switching the rectifier channels for clarification.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #2 - 03/09/13 at 21:50:49

I've encountered this problem using 3 different Rectifier tubes so I don't think it's the tube. I sprayed DeoxIT on the tube pins and scrubbed with a brush. I sprayed the pins again and put the tube in and out of the socket a couple of times. I don't have a dental/pipe cleaner, so I couldn't spray and scrub the socket itself. Switching Rectifier channels??

I'm hoping it just something in the socket that I can clean somehow, because it will cost me a small fortune in return shipping (I'm in Canada), if I have to send it to Decware Sad

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/13 at 23:03:49

What I meant was switch the right channel rectifier for the left channel rectifier, but you have the problem with other Recs so it seems you ruled that out. Also sounds like you ruled out the VRs themselves. I don't guess it would hurt to clean the rectifier sockets too the best you can. I hope it is something in the socket too, something you can clean or realign ....I mean fix.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #4 - 03/09/13 at 23:14:16

Thanks will. Ya, I switched left and right. The VR fires up right after the OA3's. Today is the first time that turning the amp off and changing the Regulator didn't solve the problem temporarily. The right side is dead (OA3 & VR). The rectifier and power tubes do fire up. I will try to find a small pipe cleaner and try to clean out the socket.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/13 at 23:29:23

So the OA3 is a VR for the power tubes and the OC2 is VR for the input. Both VRs out?

Ouch, I feel for you. Once the sound of the amp gets under your skin, the thought of not having it for while makes me a little sick.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/09/13 at 23:35:47

Me too. I hate to think of parting with it!

I have a rectifier socket that gives me problems with my Torii. I resorted to wiggling the tube around and always get it juiced. I cleaned the socket, still happens. Hasn't happened for weeks, so I've been lucky. At some point it is probably time to send the amp back.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #7 - 03/10/13 at 00:55:07

Similar situation with me. The first time it happened, I swapped left and right and it was fine for weeks.

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #8 - 03/10/13 at 05:16:32

You were right will. I didn't clue in when you mentioned Rectifiers. I was thinking Regulators. I contacted a friend who has a lot of experience with tube amps. He asked if I had swapped out the rectifiers as well. He said that marginal rectifiers could be causing problems with the regulator tubes. I swapped out the rectifiers and now both regulators are firing! Will was bang on, but it didn't click in my mind at first. Anyway, problem solved. I just wanted to let everyone know, just in case you come across this problem.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/10/13 at 06:26:25

Glad to hear it Hipfan. Getting rectifier and regulator messed up in the mind happens easily for me too.....that is until finally, the whole tube thing... how they interact and influence one another sound-wise, transformed me to a tube whackjob!

Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/10/13 at 13:38:07

Back in action! Awesome!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #11 - 03/10/13 at 21:59:53

Thanks for the help. I'm still pretty green when it comes to this amp, but am learning through experience. Someday I hope to go from posting for help, to actually posting help Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print