Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:39:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What are you pairing your CSP2 with(nonheadphones) (Read 12315 times)
Ricardojoa
Verified Member

What are you pairing your CSP2 with(nonheadphones)
02/23/13 at 17:09:48

Just curious as to what amps are you guys pairing with the csp2?
Thank you

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What are you pairing your CSP2 with(nonheadphones)
Reply #1 - 02/23/13 at 19:10:56

Ricardo,

I'm pairing a CSP2+ (soon two of them) with my Torii Mk III in my main system. And in my second system I'm using a CSP2 with my Torii Mk II. I used that CSP2 in the past with my SE34 Monoblocks (no longer a catalog item) and my SE34I.2.

Love these preamps! (And I have never hooked up headphones to one).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/13 at 21:16:14

I have used my CSP2+ with a ZENSE84C+, a MINI TORII, a TABOO, an SE34I.3 and a TORII MK III.

With the ZEN it can coax out a bit more weight and body. With the MINI TORII it gives greater control over the sound, taming the hair trigger gain of the little amp.  The premap makes the TABOO seem like a whole different amp. It is also useful in controlling the sound of the SE34I.3 and TORI MK III.

I would label a CSP2+ "INDISPENSABLE."

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Ricardojoa
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/24/13 at 07:19:09

Thanks.
I would love to hear you all, lets share it Wink

On the side note, i think i will pair it with a Solid state amp. Looking at the output impedance of the csp2 of only less then 60ohm, the preamp should work with any power amp. Anything to worry between 32kohm and 100kohm input impedance from two different amps? Would one be more preferable over the other based on input impedance?
Also the standard tubes used, Steve mentioned that is the warmest. Just curious as to what does exactly mean warm? I know some people have different interpretation with the word warm in audio, but to me warm in audio has to do with how the midrange is produced, with a little body and thickness in my dictionary. Would like to hear you guys opinion.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/13 at 15:05:28

I am pairing my CSP2+ with a Torii III and I could not be happier... allows fine tuning of sound on a song by song basis.

JD

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #5 - 08/02/13 at 02:39:57

CSP2+ into a Taboo MK III....It is a great combo for the DM945's! It is also a killer combo for the HD800 headphones.

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
roncagg
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 01:44:27

First Watt F4 - no voltage gain, current gain only, 25 watts, so it's like listening to the preamp directly driving the speakers (Zu Omens), sounds fantastic! Class A solid state to match the class A SET of the CSP2, a great match and quite interesting when you think about it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/11/16 at 21:58:30

The past year I've really gone back and forth with the CSP2+ (with stepped attenuator and Jupiter caps) that I use in my main system.

I used to use it for my DirectStream DAC and my Denon universal player, between these and the Torii Mk III, and use the ZP3 directly into the Torii Mk III. The ZP3 used to be the least used source. As I went through two interconnect upgrades, I found I preferred the DirectStream directly into the Torii Mk III which surprised me, but I found a better timbre and tonal balance and less of a "compressed" sound this way. Using my reference material (recordings I made myself, and recordings I've had for decades) this way also sounded the most accurate. My universal player and ZP3 sound great going through the CSP2+ and I confess I spend less time "critically" listening to these sources.

Then for a while I ran the DirectStream through the CSP2+ again as my fiancee was having a hard time hearing the TV sound clearly and really she just was not used to the openness and clarity. . . after a month or two I put the DirectStream straight into the Torii again and we both seem to prefer it this way.

I now spin a lot more records than I and previously after installing a Groovetracer sub-platter and Groovetracer Delrin platter on my Rega RP3. . . and the ZP3 sounds great either into the CSP2+ or directly into the Torii, so at the moment it is going through the CSP2+ so I can run the DirectStream directly into the Torii. I also upgraded the interconnects going to the CSP2+ from the ZP3 to VooDoo Cable Stradivarius, so now all components are linked with either the first Stradivarius or the Cremona Edition from VooDoo Cable, and that made a significant pleasant difference.

I also find that I like to have the output gain controls for the CSP2+ set low, at 4 or 5 from 0 output. This gives the most "accurate" and open sound in my system, doesn't compress, thicken or dampen the sound.

A few years ago, the CSP2+ was used differently. Evolution is good!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
samb0357
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/31/16 at 23:32:25

My main speakers these days are a restored pair of AR 3's. Very power hungry speakers. To feed them, I use a Crown XLS1000, a very clean, neutral, wonderful sounding solid state(yes, I know what forum I'm in) amp. This amp sounds just fine with solid state preamps, but I hadn't used the CSP2 in awhile and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get it back into rotation. And I was right. The Crown/CSP2 matchup is spot on, giving the speakers all the power they ask for with just a bit of additional warmth that the CSP2 provides. These are both very honest sounding pieces, and they mate perfectly with the AR 3's.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/19/16 at 20:15:08

I`m controlling a pair of Rachaels (SE34`s) from the CSP2+. Great synergy right from the ZP3, not forgetting my cart. Looking for a pair of, dare I say, horn-loaders. Well as good as the ML`s are I`d like to go for a classic SET/horn set-up now. It`s as if I want to live in a smoky jazz club...  8-)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print