05/05/24 at 20:23:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suitable Decware Amp. (Read 6595 times)
glineus
Verified Member

Suitable Decware Amp.
02/18/13 at 02:16:06

Seeking advice on the most suitable amplifier for a pair of Zu Definitions MK 111  (101db efficient). I have read the commentary associated with all the amps. several times but cannot decide. All advice will be appreciated.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Suitable Decware Amp.
Reply #1 - 02/18/13 at 02:30:55

Your Zoos have the following power recommendations:

1-4 watt (average room, moderate volume)
4-16 watt (large room, loud listening)
16-64 watt (large room, concert levels)

The ZEN SE84CKC or ZEN CKC MONOS would fall into the first category; the MINI TORII, TABOO and SE34I.3 fall into the middle and the TORII MK III and the TORII MONOS would take those Zoos to concert levels.

Their sensitivity would make any of the amps work, however, the 8 OHM impedance would tend to favor the  MINI TORII, TABOO,  SE34I.3, TORII MK III and the TORII MONOS.

Beyond that you have to decide how loud you need it to play and what other characteristics of the different amps would best suit you. I have a feeling that the TORII MK III would whip all the others.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/13 at 19:59:21

River thanks for your response, I wonder in which category my room should be placed? The main room is 12" * 24' * 8 which opens into another room which is 9' * 14' * 8' if my math is correct, this should be 3,312 sq ft. I listen at moderate volume.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/13 at 01:14:04

A have Zu SuperFlys with the upgraded Nano Tech drivers on the way. And in small to medium size room I am still glad I have the extra headroom in the Torii MK III. The Torii sounds so good with the Zu tone. The Superfly's are 16 ohm so I had my Torii made with 8 and 16 ohm taps.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/19/13 at 01:25:21

You listen to Orangecrush, boy.  He got a TORII MK III so he does not have to deal with a lower powered amp and wonder what it will sound like with that extra headroom.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/19/13 at 17:47:12

Thanks much fellers, I certainly value your contributions. My decision will be made keeping your advice in mind Smiley

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/19/13 at 20:50:50

glineus,

I have Klipsch RF-7 mains (8 ohm, 101 db) driven by a single Super Zen in a 15' x 21' x 8' listening room with a large opening into an equally large adjacent kitchen / dining area. You may have read my recent post "Adding Weight & Body". I'm using an HSU Mid Bass Module which reinforces the 50 to 150 Hz range adding quite a presence and heft to music, especially at low to moderate volumes. This is completely different from what a typical subwoofer does. You have to hear the improvement to appreciate it.

In any event I do not lack for any volume with this arrangement. I have mentioned elsewhere that the improved sound of the Super Zen vs my 12 year old Zen Select is significant. More clarity across the board and especially on the low end as can be heard with the Mid Bass Module in the mix.

Of course 2 watts on a 95 db speaker will play like 8 watts on your 101 db speaker. I've always stuck with the 2 watt amp since there is no consensus the other decware amps sound better. I'm sure the added power for less efficient speakers is a must in many cases. In my case I'm sticking with the "Simpler Is Better" approach.

I see many are ordering the more powerful Decware amps with the Treble Trim Control. This leads me to believe many are cranking up the amps looking for more somewhere in the music and have to trim the high end?

I've approached the problem from the opposite end. I boost the 50 to 150 Hz range with the Mid Bass Module giving the entire presentation Weight & Body at a much lower listening volume. Now with the Mid Bass Module I listen at lower volumes then in the past. When turning the volume knob I just get to the "That Sounds Really Great" point sooner.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
glineus
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/19/13 at 22:25:48

Thanks, this is very enlightening. I will consider and pay special attention to this piece of advice. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print