Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 12:37:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zu, Omen, Omen Def or Essence with Decware amp (Read 14938 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Zu, Omen, Omen Def or Essence with Decware amp
12/16/12 at 17:45:36

I would like to hear from anybody running a Decware amp with a Zu Omen, Omen Def or Essence.  Interested in which model/s, tubes, wire you're using, tweaks, etc. and what type of sound you're getting - your impressions about strengths and weakness, how you have them setup/positioned...all the normal details.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
ncblue

Re: Zu, Omen, Omen Def or Essence with Decware amp
Reply #1 - 12/21/12 at 04:40:19

I am running Zu Omen Definitions with the SE34I.3 in my system now and the results are great. I used to own the Soul Superflys (driven by a Torii mk3) and had the chance to either upgrade to the nano drivers and install them myself or buy a new pair of Omen Defs so I went for the latter. The Omen Defs are 8 ohm speakers as opposed to 16 ohm for the Souls. With the lower power Decwares, I thought they would be better.
The SE34I.3 with the Omen Defs have the best soundstage I have ever heard. They are very dynamic and have great pace. Voices sound real and I can hear the tone of acoustic guitars that Im familiar with.
I play about 90% vinyl so I am using a Modwright LS-100 as my preamp and phonostage. I have not tried the Modwright Oppo direct into the amp yet. I really don't feel I need to.
I have posted a pic on the SE34I.3 forum if you want to see my system.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 12/25/12 at 17:10:34

I am strongly considering these Speakers ncblue......sounds like you are enjoying them very much.....
http://www.zuaudio.com/#omen-def-1b-loudspeaker.php

I have long been content with my setup just outside the nearfield in an Acoustically treated dedicated Listening Room with my Vintage Polk SDA 1's (with original wide bandwidth Peerless Tweeter's OEM'd to Polk at the time). At 78db SPL the SE84CS and now my new Super Zen CKC... they do very well/nuanced-textured-tone & timbre.....listen to for hours.

However, I think it time to stretch the legs of my mighty Zens with the Zu Definitions. I have a Solid State He-Man Rig.... . But, after reading this review.......I want to get my Ya - Ya's out with my (CS) & (CKC) and the Zu Omen Defs:
http://hometheaterreview.com/zu-audio-omen-def-loudspeakers-reviewed/
....referenced/reviewed with Decware is found on both pages.

I have to listen to them for myself of course. However, I have a funny feeling I might not be sending them back. Furthermore, (as you stated ncblue) they have since been upgraded to the new Nano Drivers with only a $100 increase in price. Cool.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #3 - 12/26/12 at 18:08:32

The new drivers are a big jump in speed and resolution. Perfect match with Decware. Both vinyl and digital sources sound great.. The combo is big on tone and musical life. Really happy!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 12/27/12 at 18:02:32

Thanks ncblue for your feedback. I did it! I ordered a pair of Zu Union's.

Thank goodness they do burnin'...... . At two watts per channel, it would take for ever to burn these in via Sean's writing on the subject. They are just about out of the recent production run of these. I hope I made the cut?! Anyway, I'm probably four to six weeks out. I am glad I got my order in now, because they will certainly load the que during and after CES in a couple weeks.

I will be moving my modest Pro-Ject Debut Carbon into the Listening Room to accompany my Digital Rig ncblue for sure. My SE84CS & Super Zen CKC await....... . The CKC continues to burn in and bloom.....Steve D's Topology and spec modification of the Jupiter Caps makes him a true Audio Artisan.....amazing Amp.

Cheers, Stone of Tone!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #5 - 12/28/12 at 00:02:02

Congrats. I'm sure you'll love em.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 01/08/13 at 14:56:56

ncblue, how long did it take for delivery on your Soul SuperFly's and your now, new Omen Def's? Were they packaged really nice in some sort of encapsulation described by Zu?

Thanks, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ken Kwan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/13 at 16:50:17

ncblue,

I hope you can shed a few words on your speakers.

Does the OMEN DEF dual full range driver arrangement sound better than the single driver Soul Superfly ?   Only $100 difference in price.

and the SE34I.3 6 watts/channel enough for OMEN DEF ?

I am in the process of researching a new pair of speakers and amplifier.

thank you in advance.

IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #8 - 01/10/13 at 15:40:06

Hey Ken,
The Superflys and Omen Defs both have the Zu house sound. I have yet to hear the Superfys with the nano drivers. The main difference is with room size and impedance. The Superflys are better with a 16 ohm tube amp, whereas the Omen Defs like 8 ohm SS or tubes. I wanted to use the Decware SE34I.3, so the Omens were the obvious choice. I would call Sean or Gerrit at Zu and ask them about your specific room/system. They are as helpful as Steve at Decware when you have questions!
It really is great that these companies take absolute care of their customers and really have a genuine interest in our success.
Also, if you can stretch your budget, the new Druid mkV looks to be the best of the passive Zus. I'll be looking at those eventually (maybe to pair with some  Torii monos, one can dream!)

IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #9 - 01/10/13 at 15:48:26

Stone,
When I bought the Superflys it took a coupłe of weeks. I won my Omen Defs from Zu on an EBay auction. They usually have a pair of speakers on there. I basically got a $2000 paint job for free (a deep, dark glassy green). The packaging is first rate. Even covered the paint with a wax that rubs off to protect the finish.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 01/10/13 at 18:02:14

Thanks ncblue. I am working with Gerrit on these and his service has been first rate like Decware service is....as you stated. I am looking at a couple weeks for my Zu Unions....can't complain and can't wait.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/10/13 at 18:37:44

ncblue,

Was wondering are you using a sub with your Omen Def's?

I have Klipsch RF-7 mains (101db) placed about 3 feet out from the front wall driven by a Super Zen. The RF-7's sound great but that far out from the wall and with only 2 watts I use subs to provide the necessary low end foundation and slam for Blues & Rock.

I have also thought about trying the Omen Def's. I almost ordered a pair back in November but ordered the Super Zen instead to replace my 11 year old Zen Select. My Select had none of the Decware mods over the years so I have been impressed with the sonic improvements provided by the Super.

DBC

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #12 - 01/10/13 at 19:34:51

No sub here. I listen to a lot of rock and blues etc... The SE34I.3 drives them great, even in my large room. You can get it to clip, but its really loud when you do.

IP Logged
Ken Kwan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/10/13 at 20:32:17

hi ncblue,

thanks for your reply.

My plan for a new system is a tube amp with a pair of high efficiency speakers.  For now, I think Decware amp, with either Decware speakers or Zu.

The Zu's 10" speakers is hugh (and loud on spec), and I am intrigued that the Omen Def put 2 of them together !  Now I understand that you are trying to run them at 8 ohms.  you just remind me to check the spec of the amp.  If I go for the Zen, or Torii, I can drive 16 ohms as well.

yes, the Druid that you mentioned is new.  The cabinet is something special, not simply MDF.    The Decware HR-1 is also very tempting..... Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 02/08/13 at 14:11:12

I am finally joining the efficiency camp. My Zu Union's ship out to me today! They have 600+ hours on them from the factory and after I have a handle on them with my Super Zen CKC.....the Zen Styx come in.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=286605174794874&set=o.150282048340855&ty...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=331552590273383&set=o.150282048340855&ty...

Cheers, and have a great Music filled weekend!  -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #15 - 02/08/13 at 19:25:14

Congrat Stone!
I would love to hear your impressions of the Union. I am considering the Union Cube for my 2 channel home theater rig.
My Omen Definition and SE34I.3 are run in and have exceeded my expectations. I am in the process now of replacing my Rega P9. Either the Rega RP8 or a Well Tempered Amadeus are the front runners. Having digital only has made me realize how much enjoyment I get from vinyl.
Anyway, I hope the Unions bring out the best in your system. I include myself as a Decware and Zu fanboy Grin

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/11/13 at 06:00:06

Welcome to the growing Zu and Decware club! Hard to beat Zu tone and their emotional impact.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 02/12/13 at 12:49:35

ncblue & orangecrush......thanks!  I will post my impressions of the Zu Union down the road...... .

....oh yea, I'm a fanboy of Decware too. The only thing that has come close to the tone, timbre and emotional impact of the SE84CS & Super Zen CKC is a First Watt, I heard some time ago. I obviously still prefer Decware.   -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 02/21/13 at 22:11:04

Zu Union's have been in the House for 48 hours now! It took them a good 36 hours to warm up. I live up here on the frozen tundra (Mpls/St. Paul).

Anyway, I love um' and will share some impressions down the road.

Cheers, I'm off....to celebrate my Birthday.....hey, I turned 39 again.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

System:
Sony Tport>OR:Ipad2 with Apple LossLess/CD Error correction>Cambridge Audio iD100 Docking Station >Illuminati D-60/BNC>Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro32>Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference i2s>Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 w/remote wand>Kimber Select 1030>Decware Super Zen CKC Amp>Kimber Select 3033> Zu Union....Room Acoustically treated/Dedicated Room & Power Conditioner

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 02/21/13 at 22:28:37

Congrats Stone! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print