Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 09:53:13 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Excellent Promo on PS Audio PWD (Read 7023 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Excellent Promo on PS Audio PWD
Reply #50 - 03/11/13 at 06:01:09

Quite the work brett! Serious props. Makes my lowly NAS want to crawl back into the closet where I keep it. Wink

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/11/13 at 13:12:57

In case Brett's posts have whetted anyone's appetite for an Off Ramp, there is a pretty good buy on one posted by a member at Computer Audiophile.

IP Logged
Brett

Reply #52 - 03/12/13 at 06:01:25

Fireblade,

I'm embarrassed to say the reason is because I didn't know about WASAPI Event. Maybe empirical didn't bundle it with their software since it isn't compatible with XP. Or Maybe because Steve Nugent has switched to Mac and Amarra.

I'm using it now but I wanted to try it out for few days before commenting. I can switch back and forth on the fly while listening to a song. The difference between the WASAPI Event plugin and KS is subtle yet becomes identifiable after giving it some listening time.

WASAPI sounds less jumbled in micro detail. Listening to bits of certain songs where lyrics can be difficult to understand are more intelligible now and there is more clarity in timbre and deciphering individual instruments.

The overall character is the same, yet the image seems to have a bit more depth and width with a sort of glassy slick integration that is missing when going back to KS.

It's funny cause as subtle as the changes are I knew right away that WASAPI was more engaging. The differences between Event and Push are harder to delineate. I can't say that I prefer one over the other at this point, but conceptually (HaHa) Event should be the winner.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion and thanks everyone for the compliments. I haven't shared this stuff except with my friends at home. This is a good place.

Beowulf,

The maple blocks are from the scraps I had left over from the computer build. I glued a bunch of .75" planks together and then cut them into blocks. Maybe not as tuneful as a solid block of maple, but they definitely helped control vibration.

Hardware as follows:

QX9775
Striker II Extreme
OCZ DDR3
Nvidia 280 GTX X3

Pretty mild by today's standards but it still runs everything out there. FSB and memory linked and synced at 1900mHz, and proc at 4.2gHz when over clocked. Healthy OC on the GPUs as well.

Hehe yes some of the the game developers really their put time into the sound quality and music. It is easily half of the experience if not more.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #53 - 03/12/13 at 12:29:30

@ Brett,

Nothing to be embarrassed about. There's so much going on in this field, the information is overwhelming.

One more thing: I've found converting FLAC into WAV on the fly through Fb2K (or any other fast converter, for that matter), is not the best procedure for sound quality. The ideal is to separate the conversion in a previous stage and have the player pick the WAV files up and put them into RAM memory before processing it.

The difference between Event and Push is subtle, as Event is geared more against latency issues typical of laptops, a problem you may not have given your more powerful desktop configuration, provided at the time of streaming you kill all irrelevant underlying OS processes.

I can recommend using Fidelizer (Extreme Mode) as a big help achieving the described 'freezing.'

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 03/13/13 at 02:25:31

Just read this post over at PS Audio:

Quote:
By Paul McGowan

Over the last few days we’ve been discussing the two main technologies in digital audio today: PCM and DSD.  In my mind there’s no doubt that DSD is superior to PCM – if for no other reason than the fact it is simply closer to analog than anything I have ever heard.  Properly implemented you’re not even aware of its presence and that’s how any piece of equipment or format in a high end audio chain should be: not there.

We’ve also learned that nearly all modern 24 bit and higher DACS are essentially PCM to DSD decoders and the final outputs of modern DACS is already DSD in nature.

So what’s the future of DACS in the PS Audio ecosystem?  DSD, of course.  We’re right in the middle of a long range, long term project to fundamentally change the nature of the DAC itself from that of a compromised PCM/DSD decoder to a purpose built DSD architecture that also accepts PCM without compromise.  It means getting away from off-the-shelf DACS and chips and heading down a brave new frontier essentially alone – but that’s ok, we kind of thrive on that.

The fruits of these labors won’t be enjoyed for quite some time but in the scheme of things it won’t be that long.  Perhaps sometime in 2014 we may see a new breed of product from some of the really great minds we have working on this now.

I am delighted to be along for the ride.

We are well on our way into 2013.  Should be an interesting year for PS Audio with the Class D Amp and work on the next generation DAC with DSD capabilities.

After reading a few other posts from McGowan, I also feel that the PWD will become more of a preamp (than it is already) and maybe a phono stage will rear it's head once again in their lineup (if not already included within the new upcoming DAC).

Just a rumor and thinking outloud on the phono stage as some of his posts seemed he hinted about it or at least getting set up for one. 

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 03/13/13 at 02:48:16

PS Audio will soon be releasing a new version of the GCPH phono stage/preamp that will incorporate an ADC so that a digital signal of the converted analog can be sent to a PWT or other DAC.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/13/13 at 05:48:33

Hmm ... trying to stay as much analog as possible seems like the main point to vinyl playback!  So turning an analog signal into digital doesn't sound right to me ... It's almost a why bother after a certain point ... although doesn't RIAA equalization break up the signal somewhat anyways?  Perhaps it the lesser of evils however?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 03/13/13 at 11:23:07

Well, needle-drops are all the rage with the youngstahs. Smiley In this manner people can use their PWD as the preamp for their vinyl playback, I know it sounds not quite right to you and I, but it may sound good enough for many.

The former GCPH is a decent phono preamp. It's no ZP3, but a steady rolling machine for records with good sound. I still use one in my second system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 03/13/13 at 22:55:25

For anybody who's interested, I have just verified that the upcoming version of the PWD will bring DSD streaming via ethernet.  Also the current PWD MKII will be upgradeable, however it must be sent back to the factory for them to do it as it is a complicated procedure and requires a number of new components to be changed out.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 03/14/13 at 00:05:21

Interesting. I guess some people want that. Wink  I won't be sending mine back.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 03/14/13 at 01:32:28

Quote:
by, Lon
Interesting. I guess some people want that.  I won't be sending mine back.

I'm keeping an open mind to it, from all the talk it seems like DSD is one (if not "the") best playback of digital files out there.  I'm in no rush though considering I have all of 1 SACD's and absolutely no DSD files on my PC/Server whatsoever ...

But if I was going to purchase a Network Player/DAC that costs as much as the PWD I would defintely be looking for DSD playback in its specs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 03/14/13 at 02:38:24

Well I've had the PWD for close to two years now, and I have it because I don't want to have anything to do with digital files. Smiley I am not at all interested in computer audio, what I've heard hasn't really impressee me much, and rather than go that route, I'm moving toward vinyl and like my Redbook fine from the PWT/PWD duo, sounds really really good, on par with the SACDs I have. And frankly the much vaunted "convenience" doesn't mean much to me, and I have so many discs and am not frustrated with them. So I know I'm not the hip young dude with the cutting edge, but I'm happy.

It's good that they're moving in the DSD direction, and I bet their implementation will be interesting and excellent sounding. You're right, it wouldn't make sense to buy a streamer or network player without DSD now.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/14/13 at 14:05:47

beowulf advised:
Quote:
For anybody who's interested, I have just verified that the upcoming version of the PWD will bring DSD streaming via ethernet.  Also the current PWD MKII will be upgradeable, however it must be sent back to the factory for them to do it as it is a complicated procedure and requires a number of new components to be changed out.
I expect we won't see this for a little while, but I will have mine boxed up so fast for this........... DSD from the Mytek through the Ultra and Torii into the ERRs has just been amazing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 03/14/13 at 16:08:24

beowulf, this is what PS Audio has released regarding their new phono preamp.

NuWave phono preamplifier.  NuWave half chassis (like the NuWave DAC).  Complete analog and digital phono stage - with both analog RCA or XLR Outputs, digital output can be selected as PCM or DSD output to feed a DAC directly.  Switchable digital input A/D converter can accept either turntable or standard line level and output high resolution PCM or DSD.  Target price $1195, summer 2013.  Currently in prototype phase.

No mention of whether this will have an HDMI output for I2S. . . that would be cool as there are two HDMI inputs on the PWD.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 03/15/13 at 06:15:37

Quote:
Lon,
NuWave phono preamplifier.  NuWave half chassis (like the NuWave DAC).  Complete analog and digital phono stage - with both analog RCA or XLR Outputs, digital output can be selected as PCM or DSD output to feed a DAC directly.  Switchable digital input A/D converter can accept either turntable or standard line level and output high resolution PCM or DSD.  Target price $1195, summer 2013.  Currently in prototype phase.

No mention of whether this will have an HDMI output for I2S. . . that would be cool as there are two HDMI inputs on the PWD.

I bet the analog section will be pretty decent, however I just can't get over the fact that they want the capability to send the analog signal through an ADC - DAC  ... All I can say is WTF, do those youngsters know the real reason that people are still spinning vinyl ... a format that's about 125 years old? Shocked

It makes me think of our previous conversation of why we found vinyl so soothing is that it's as close to a pure analog signal as possible and then PS Audio is not only converting it into digital, they are then de-converting it back to analog ... so they actually molest the purity 2x before it even hits your ears (provided somebody goes that route in their hookup)

Anyways, for that kind of money I think the ZP3 will be the best bet!   Smiley

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 03/15/13 at 08:44:06

Quote:
DSD from the Mytek through the Ultra and Torii into the ERRs has just been amazing.

What port are you using for the DAC to NAS/PC?  USB or Firewire?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 03/15/13 at 11:58:31

Well, the way I see it this is a nice phono preamp for a mixed analog and digital system. The analog output I bet will be very similar to the previous GCPH, and that is a good warm and vivid sound. And then there's the ADC to allow manipulation and usage of the signal digitally, and allow the use of the signal in a nice matching component for those of their customers who have he PWD or NuWave DAC as a preamp, or anyone else using a DAC or DAC/preamp or receiver with DAC.

I'm not defending it per se and not interested in one, but it's aimed at being attractive to both the phono enthusiast with a digital preamp and the casual phono explorer who mainly wants to copy lps to share and/or listen to on the go. There are those guys out there, I know a few.

It's sort of like including DSD in any upcoming DAC--to not include a good ADC in the phono preamp cuts out some potential sales.

Anyway, that's the way PS Audio thinks these days, along the swiss army knife audio road.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 03/15/13 at 13:52:53

beowulf asked:
Quote:
What port are you using for the DAC to NAS/PC?  USB or Firewire?

Firewire. tried both, and while the USB interface is a bit more polished, I like the Firewire sound better. I also have a nice Oyaide 9/6 Firewire 800/400 cable that seems to work well. The Mytek then goes into the Zektor as one of its switchable inputs. Right now, the music library is on an external disk attached to a 2012 Mac mini. The player is Audirvana+; that means local control, which isn't horrible, but is a bit more kludgy I am definitely still going to want a network player for all files as I currently have for non-DSD with the PWD. So, the PS Audio upgrade path will be interesting [and makes that February promo fpor the PWD of $1995 a killer]. As I mentioned in another post, Lumin implemented their price increase, and I just don't see $5500 as the right price point.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 03/23/13 at 14:29:39

Just a brief update. I have a few new components I am going to be trying in my system: (1) the Lumin [don't get me started on pricing policies, but a close friend who tracks with me on this hobby pushed me hard to give it a try]; and (2) the Baetis Revolution media server.

The Lumin interests me as noted before for its ability to match the PWD's network playback and to play DSD. Its downside is that it is limited to 64x for the foreseeable future. If the Lumin works out, well, we will see. If it works out, then the Mytek can be placed in my headphone rig, which is about to get its new Taboo.

The Baetis is a very interesting device. I stumbled across it as I was looking for ways to make it easier to play and manage my growing BluRay library [a large part of which is BluRay audio]. Although it is possible, and not terribly difficult to rip BR discs, I would prefer to keep the originals intact and simply make it easier to play them. The Oppo 105 does a superb job of doing that, but then there is that disc-swapping thing, that grand chasm that so divides Lon and me in this mortal veil. Grin So, the Baetis will let me manage my BR library with the same facility as my DVD and audio library, maybe even better [and that's saying something for this Mac guy], and it may permit me to consolidate it all together. I spent fair bit of time writing and speaking with the developer. He hasn't yet had a chance to see how the Baetis will do serving files over Ethernet to network players like the PWD and Lumin, so we are both going to learn something here.

I am also going to investigate whether an Emotiva pre/pro can take the place of both my Outlaw & Zektor. It appears it can, due to the apparently well-engineered Emotiva Direct Audio mode. There is no question it appears to be a better, faster video signal switcher, but whether its audio switching is as good as the Zektor's superb passive relays remains to be heard. I won't know until I actually stick it in the system. A/B comparison will be impossible, and likely fruitless, so it will probably require a little attentive listening, some note taking, etc. But it would be great if I could consolidate two boxes.

[X_POSTING ALERT: I am also posting this info over in Home Theater.]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 03/25/13 at 12:25:38

Asked "what is everyone planning to play on a DSD DAC, are they all going to rip their SACDs and play the few downloads available?" Paul McGowan made an interesting response nine days ago:

DSD requests flood into our offices and we are working on a solution, long term though it is, and I too ask myself the same question. I suppose it's just the "I don't want to own something that isn't capable of the latest - should the latest ever come about" syndrome. It's all I can figure.

Further discussion in this thread: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/5070/what-new-products-do-you-want

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 03/25/13 at 15:34:27

Yeah, as one of the people posting in that thread, I saw that. Of course if one always skates to where the puck is, one will miss the game. Wink And that is also what McGowan wrote, which I think is more important:
Quote:
I would argue that DSD is so much better that it's important for us as a market leader to support it in the hopes the music industry might come around.

There is no question that high resolution is always the name of the game. That was true when I was washing Sheffield Labs direct discs, and eventually, it tends to impact the larger consumer market. When CDs were first released, no one thought we would be downloading music in 20 years on to iPods, let alone hi-res DSD files.

As someone who already owns several hundred gigabytes of DSD, my answer is "yes, that is exactly what I am going to play." Inasmuch as Blue Coast cannot keep their Mytek units in stock, inasmuch as the $2500 exaSound e20 now processes 11.2mHz DSD, yes, that is exactly what is going to happen. It's like asking whether people are really going to switch from videotapes to DVD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 03/25/13 at 15:40:06

Well, we'll see. I'm still not downloading and don't anticipate doing so, even DSD. So it's a moot point for me. I don't care either way really, I already have my library and don't need to expand to another format. I'm still not even equipted to make use of the hi-res possible with the PWT as I don't have a dvd burner and am not proficient with digital file making. Part of me would like to be, but I'm not able to go there right now and I'm fine without it.

If someone were wanting to keep up with the Jones and be on the audio cutting edge DSD would be necessary. But really. . . you are the few and proud.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 03/25/13 at 18:45:48

Lon, you know I understand where you are coming from. And I think it represents the likely majority view for audiophiles. I noticed in my inbox today an email from Drew Baird's company Moon Audio hawking the Mytek DSD DAC; BTW, I am not shilling for them, though I have been a happy customer for their headphone cables, but it's noteworthy. Drew and Moon are well known to the headphone and other audio communities. This could all be a fad, I suppose, but the DSD development has bordered on explosive. As it is, with a network DSD capability being added to my system tomorrow, my Mytek will now become the DAC for my Taboo and Audez'e headphones with a headless Mac mini and Audirvana+ as the player.. That will be a sweet quiet listening rig.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 03/25/13 at 18:53:23

I'm sure it will be. I know I'm an anomaly in some ways. It's just I've been reading for a decade about how SACD is a failed format, how DVD-A never took off. . . perhaps things will all be different because digital files are in use, and as someone who is not intrigued by computer audio I don't have a real sense of how deep the interest goes. Looking as an outsider at what I see on the 'net (and not having any friends into computer audio in an audiophile way) I see interest within the hardest core of those interested in audio quality, and shrugs from others. I'm all for it taking off, I hope it does, because it's always good for the whole audio picture.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 03/25/13 at 22:32:00

I'm enjoying this conversation.  There is not a lot of DSD files available right now and we don't know if it's going to take off, but if I was going to buy a DAC that costs over $1500 I would want that as an as an option just in case or go into my purchase knowing that it can be upgraded at a later time should the need arise.  And considering there are DACs on the market right now under $1000 that can playback those DSD files, when stepping up to a BIG GUN DAC like PS Audio PWD it should almost be a given.

As for DSD taking off ... well I'm unsure at this point if that will be the format that wins, however there’s no doubt in my mind that hi-res files are the future and while I don’t see CD players going away anytime soon due to the legacy factor of people who own lots of titles in that format, but in my opinion when the dust clears it's going to be hi-res files and vinyl left.  Let's face it, PC based music playback has only been mainstream for a short while and can already best CD playback systems costing thousands more and we are just getting started.

I’ve read that companies like Linn don't even make CD players anymore (since something like 2010) and have been pushing their customers towards network/PC music playback for a while now.  As for me, I own less than 100 CD’s and have ripped them all to my PC and never looked back and I seriously doubt that I will ever purchase another CD again … I’m a BIG FAN about the playback ease and performance of PC files, so all the music I plan on purchasing are going to be hi-res downloads and vinyl.

But DSD has obstacles that currently blocking it as a mainstream format including the fact the you need to be tech savvy, special hardware is needed (i.e. like a 1st gen PS3) to rip and store them and they take up a lot of space ... top that off with not many titles being available and well anybody's guess is as good as mine.  When I search for DSD downloads, I find mostly independent artists and labels (which is cool that artists are into the format).  But unless someone has been ripping SACDs with their PS3 and putting them on torrent downloads even then I'm not finding a lot of titles.

I own a couple SACDs and found one as a bit perfect DSD copy on a bit torrent site, I downloaded it and played it back using JRiver ... I wish I could say that it really made a difference, however my DAC is not up to snuff to differentiate DSD and regular FLAC.  But I am very interested in some critical listening to those types of files.  If more and more DACs start coming out with the feature it could give a push towards DSD as a more mainstream format, it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote:
Lon,
I'm still not downloading and don't anticipate doing so

Lon, I have to admire your conviction ... you have no interest and that's that, even though you have one of the BEST DAC's on the market that is setup to exploit PC/Networked based music playback in all it's glory Grin

Quote:
PR,
Just a brief update. I have a few new components I am going to be trying in my system: (1) the Lumin [don't get me started on pricing policies, but a close friend who tracks with me on this hobby pushed me hard to give it a try]; and (2) the Baetis Revolution media server.
PR, I would really enjoy hearing more about the Baetis AND the Emotiva (if you decide to go with those components) from what it seems the Emotiva is way more accessible than the Zektor when it comes to purchasing.  With all your gear swapping and techie stuff do you ever have time to listen to music? Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 03/25/13 at 23:00:02

I wouldn't say I have 'no interest' as much as I have no need, and don't need the much touted 'mobility' and 'convenience' of digital files. The truth of the matter is that the PWD Mk II makes Redbook sound otherworldly in comparison to other sources I've known, and when I want to go beyond that I have about 150 SACDs and when I want the highest fidelity I have my vinyl playback.

Truly I'd love to have hi-res discs to pop into the PWT, the few that I have are AMAZING. I just don't have a way to have them in my hand other than buying a few available (and not necessarily the music I want) at exorbitant prices. One day perhaps I'll get the hardware and the neural pathways in my brain to do so, but it's low on my priority as I have such a bounty of material to enjoy (even if half of it is now in boxes!)

It's only the hi-res material that interests me, I'm not iPodding or iTuning and not sharing via cloud, etc.

If I were anyone else I'd say sure, why not have DSD in an expensive excellent DAC if they start becoming prevalent and even a trickle of interesting music is available in this file format.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 03/25/13 at 23:42:34

Hey beowulf, it's the tube-rolling that gets in the way of the music, not the equipment swaps. Grin

Anyway, yeah, I still get to listen, thank goodness. I also agree with your opening observation. At this juncture, a semi-big ticket DAC like the PWD should have DSD just as a competitive check-box.

And Lon, yes, I wish the material availability was much better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print