04/20/24 at 13:53:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blown EZ81's (Read 3343 times)
Hank
Verified Member

Blown EZ81's
01/22/13 at 21:00:01

I've blown 2 JJ EZ81's in a relatively short time.  The amp was new 3/2012.  I've been using the stock JJ 6V6's, relieving  them occasionally with a pair of current production T-S 6V6's.

Unfortunately, I don't remember which output tubes were in at the first instance, but the T-S's were in for the second instance.

Both times it's been the EZ81 in the right channel.  Left channel has been no problem.

Any clue what might be the problem?

Regards,
Hank Sundermeyer
Newark, DE

Decware SE84DIY amp; TABOO; CSP2; ZenHead; Mini TORII SE-X; SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Trapezium Desktop Speakers; Tekton 8.1en Speakers; Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Blown EZ81's
Reply #1 - 01/23/13 at 00:27:24

If you checked the rectifier tube on both channels (swapping them), and the same tube is always at fault:

JJ EZ-81 rectifiers have a significant history of early failure.  Mine came after 5 months of use in the Mini.  The general consensus among users seems to be JJ rectifiers (EZ-81's, at least) are not reliable, due some quality control mishap, bad lot or whatever.

Just replace them both with RFT EZ-81's or EZ-80's (my current choice), and you should not have any problems.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print