Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 12:12:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice on best Omega speaker to match to SE34I.35 (Read 7601 times)
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Advice on best Omega speaker to match to SE34I.35
01/01/13 at 17:45:43

I have already ordered a fully optioned SE34I.35 integrated from Steve. Based on my position on the build list, I expect it should be done some time in March 2013. This is for nearfield desktop use (3-4 ft). My musical listening tastes are: classical (all types); movie soundtracks; popular music; Jazz; and a little rock (Pink Floyd type).

I'm currently listening to my vintage Fisher X202B, bought new a very, very long time ago and rebuilt last year, and Allison Six's (Le Cubes / 87db). The combo sounds very good and I usually have the attenuator set between 9 and 10 o'clock for pretty much all my music, except some very low level recorded classical CDs which might need an 11 or 12 o'clock setting. According to my Radio Shack sound meter (C weighted), average peaks run about 80-85 db.

I've settled on Louis Chochos Omega/Hoyt-Bedford line of speakers for the "Rachael" amp. I want a single full range speaker setup this time around (and hopefully the last time around). Steve checked out the website and advised that any of the new Model 3 speakers ("T" and "E" both 94db sensitivity) should work well.

My quandry is which speaker would yield the best results (money is not the big issue). I've narrowed things down to the Hoyt-Bedford 1.5 monitor (8" fibre cone/ 97db), the Omega Super 6 Monitor (6.5" ALNICO hemp cone / 93db) and the Omega 3E (4.5" fibre cone / 94db). I have not heard any of these speakers, so I'm buying blind. But, Louis is such a nice guy, that he has offered me an extended listening evaluation period since I will be buying his speakers before I actually have the "Rachel" on hand.

From what I have read so far, they will all sound great, but I'm slightly hung up on efficiency given the small 5.8w "Rachael". Since classical music and soundtracks can reach peaks upwards of close to 110 db it seem that the Hoyt-Bedford 1.5 monitor (97db) would be the way to go, but I'm drawn to the Omega Super 6 Monitor (93db). These speakers all present easy 8 ohm loads from what I am told and have read. If my calculations are correct that means the Hoyt-Bedford 1.5 can reach about 108db with the "Rachael" with both speakers playing, whereas the Omega Super 6 monitor will reach about 105db with 2 speakers. I'm only concerned about the peaks here, since, any of these speakers will be fine for my average listening levels which are in the 70-80 db range. Of course, any comments about the overall sound of each speaker would also be appreciated.

For those who either own or have heard these 3 newer speakers, I'd sure like to know what you think.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Advice on best Omega speaker to match to SE34I.35
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 17:58:05

Welcome to this forum. I think you know which speaker would be best all around. The Hoyt will be able to deliver that last bit of oomph when needed. All others being roughly equivalent, you would never be disappointed by the Hoyts. I wish I had some experience to guide you, but obviously careful, thoughtful, deliberate investigation should serve as a guide.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 01/01/13 at 21:16:29

Dunno about Omega speakers, but I can say my SE34I drives my MarkAudio Alpair 10.2's to uncomfortably loud levels in my 13 x 24 room, louder than I'd ever listen. YMMV, of course.
These with a tested eff. of 87db/W/M !
You need not worry , especially in the nearfield. Any of those mentioned drivers will be sufficient to cause significant hearing loss!
As to the sound suiting your taste(s), you'll have to let us know!
I once owned the same Fisher unit, It likely still sounds pretty good.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/01/13 at 22:31:23

I think the amp would work fine with all three speakers..the question becomes which speaker would work best in a nearfield application. My experience with nearfield is that drivers without whizzer cones work better..this is certainly the case with fostex..and I believe that I read years ago that Louis preferred his whizzerless offerings for nearfield use..given that I would submit that the super 3 is your best choice..

IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/13 at 01:47:35

I also wanted to point out that of the three speakers you mention the 3E's also have the smallest drivers which will most likely provide the best soundstaging in a nearfield listening environment

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/02/13 at 03:14:08

Gotog,

Thanks for your advice. I've been in the hobby for a long time, but this is my first foray into very low powered amps and single full range speakers. I'd like to get it close to right the first time.

The more I read about whizzer cones, the more confused and concerned I become. On the Omega/Hoyt-Bedford Forums, those  very few posters who have the speakers I'm looking at seem to like them a great deal with the Decware 2 & 4 watt Zen amps and have not mentioned anything negative about the whizzer cones. Unfortunately, reviews of Louis' latest 2012/13 speakers from established publications and websites, save one review, are not available.

As for the new Omega 3E, visually I prefer round speaker frames to square ones. More importantly, I'm skeptical that a 4.5" full range driver can reproduce a convincing illusion, for example, of Beethoven's 5th or 9th Symphonies or Hans Zimmer's "Gladiator" soundtrack with a 6 watt amp, even nearfield. I could, of course, be very wrong about this given my lack of first hand experience with the SE34I.3 amp or Omega speaker line.

On the other hand the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 Monitor, with the larger 8" driver and 97db sensitivity gives me more hope that I will get the detailed and spacious sound I'm looking for at lower listening levels (around 70-75 db) with the headroom need for the big peaks.  For me, the downside to the HB-Type 1 monitor is that it will be twice the vertical size of my current Allison LeCubes (23"x11"x11" vs. 11"x11"x11") - and perhaps visually too large for my desk (6' x 3') in a nearfield setup. They also have a foam surround and foam does deteriorate over time unlike paper/cloth composites.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/02/13 at 12:47:45

Have you ever considered a DECWARE speaker for this application?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/02/13 at 16:34:03

Yes, with Steve when I placed my order for the SE34I.35. However, as I mentioned in my original post, I wanted a desktop friendly full range, single driver speaker. The two Decware speakers didn't fill that bill for me, although, from what I've read here and in other online reviews, they sound very good.

BTW, thanks Rivieraranch and Doorman, for your views and the welcome.

IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/04/13 at 00:31:34

Hi Rizlaw..I guess what I was trying to point out in an ineloquent way is that it is my understanding that whizzer cones are an engineering solution for increasing bandwidth and dispersion from a single driver.. From a regular listening perspective, this can provide a very positive listening experience...   but from a nearfield perspective the presentation could be disjointed... Unfortunately most reviews that you will come by are not done from a nearfield point of view, so even if they are positive they may not be the right choice in your application... I agree that the 4.5 inch drivers may not provide the scale you are looking for... If you have your heart set on the Omegas, I would talk to Louis and get his recommendation....  perhaps he could even provide a custom solution to specifically meet your needs...

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/04/13 at 14:24:49

Gotog,

Yesterday I had a long converstation with Louis and he agreed with you, that for a nearfield desktop application, the Omega 3Es should be the better solution. I also took into consideration the smaller desktop foot print (9" x 9.5") of the 3E, since the Decware "Rachael"amp will need a fair amount of desktop real estate (12" x 16"). The 3Es are now ordered. If I'm not satisfied after I listen to them with the "Rachael" I can return or exchange them for one of the other larger speakers I was considering.

Thanks for your input, it helped me to make my decision.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print