Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 18:50:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Turntable - Opinions Wanted (Read 25220 times)
Ron
Seasoned Member

New Turntable - Opinions Wanted
12/27/12 at 20:09:34

I was looking around on Kickstarter and found this...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

I do not know much about turn tables so any input would be appreciated. I would like to get into vinyl but do not want to break the bank initially.

Thanks in advance.

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: New Turntable - Opinions Wanted
Reply #1 - 12/27/12 at 20:46:12

If your system will be primarily vinyl the turntable choice should reflect that. You should spend as much as you can on a good table. However, if you spin vinyl occasionally, then you should not invest so much money in a table.  

I have never heard of this no-name table you posted. Who makes it? The arm looks cheap. You have to wonder what the resale value would be if you did not like it. If you got a REGA, Pro-Ject, Thorens or a similar make your money would be safe in the resale market.

I personally have gone over to direct drive. Vinyl is not the mainstay of my system but I wanted a good player to spin the vinyl that I have. I have a KAB modified Technics SL-1200. It has an outboard power supply and some other upgrades. It is easy to change cartridges and you can adjust the tonearm height.  The REGA is too finicky. I have had them in the past and they proved to be a pain in the a**.

You may wish to look over on the Vinyl Engine forums; they have guys there that know a lot more than I do.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/28/12 at 12:30:00

Thanks for the reply!

It was designed after the Rega RP1 with Performance Pack.
That said, Rega has quite the heritage and experience.

Might be worth just going with an RP1.

Thanks again.

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/28/12 at 13:47:48

I have a Rega RP3 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/28/12 at 15:04:57

You can't go wrong with REGA. Although it is a pain to pick up a record with the platter spinning and lay it down again as well. The tonearm height is not adjustable, unless you buy a costly gizmo and remount it under the arm. This limits cartridge choices because of height. If you change cartridges and heaven forbid you break off one of the cartridge clips you will have to get it soldered back on. Then the belts. Get one of the white belts, you will read everywhere. You can't really clean a record with a brush because it slows down the platter, which in turn stresses the belt. When the belt begins to go flaccid it will create a lot of problems. These are among the negatives with REGA. If you are willing to put up with their finickyness you will be fine.  You might look at the Needle Doctor's website for information on all the tables out there.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/28/12 at 15:16:30

Looks like a typical 'Le Turntable'... Simple, but I would opt for getting a good pre-owned TT on eBay before I'd buy a new one... Great deals, and lots to choose from...

Always try and get better than you need now... My rule-of-thumb... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/28/12 at 16:33:40

But how many folks know the right way to ship a table? There are so many ways for it to arrive a pretzel. I would go with new because of these variables.

55   IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/28/12 at 18:05:42

Good Point

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/28/12 at 18:47:45

Any recommendations on retailers to buy Rega turntables?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/28/12 at 21:22:44

I`ve still got my 30yr old Rega, and rewired the arm with silver litz a couple of months back. I wont be trying it out until I get a new cart for
my Roksan radius which could be months away or longer.
They hit a purple patch with the Rega in terms of price/performance. They just worked great. I dont know how I got on with the vertical tracking, those days you just made sure the cart was straight and balanced before dialing in the weight, adjusting drag/ a/skating, which is easy, through a numbered dial and sliding scale. There must have been a template to place the needle tip into.
It`s when you come to buy a second TT that you naturally want a change of manufacturer.
Regas can come not cheap now.
I cant knock them, no way. They would be a good choice.
I bought my second deck new, and for the money could have got
something well out of my price range if new, on e-bay or even a dealer.
Something else to consider is visuals. You could be living with it for long time.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 12/28/12 at 21:45:45

I see quite a few Rega's on Ebay. Also look at Sota's.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/28/12 at 22:29:12

Rega has authorized dealers all over. You should look on the Vinyl Engine website for information and perhaps further guidance.

55   IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #12 - 12/29/12 at 00:44:20

If you are a complete beginner to turntables, I suggest getting a Technics turntable. B&H is selling them.

The reason for my recommendation is because they are the easiest to set up. The Japanese have removed the rocket science involved for the user.
The second major reason is that the unmodified Technics turntable is already audiophile grade.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/29/12 at 02:32:24

You listen to Lord South, boy. I have a KAB modified Technic. It is great sounding and easy to use.

55   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #14 - 12/29/12 at 04:13:36

Having had a couple of Rega's, one with a Decca unipivot arm, I can say the P3 with the above arm was a very satisfying combination, but it became even more resolving and enjoyable on a dedicated TT platform.
In my case a "SoundOrginization".
Some non suspended tables can be quite susceptible to vibration, footfalls and the like.
Happy hunting!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 12/30/12 at 12:59:12

Lots of good advice here...just thought I would throw in my two cents...  I have found that with vinyl the synergy between table, cartridge, and phono preamp as well as proper set-up is critical.  If you are new to it, it may be helpful to seek out a good local dealer that can help you with this.  I have found that the basic, more affordable offerings by the likes of Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, etc.... are quite good these days when paired with a good phono preamp and cart...  I am in the process of upgrading my vinyl kit and have found that a good phono preamp can make a large difference... so good, basic table + good phono preamp can sound as good or better than much more expensive table with lower grade/budget phono preamp

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 12/30/12 at 19:09:48

You are getting good advice. Do you already have records?
Do you have access to used as well as new vinyl?
Cleaning records is very important especially when they are used.

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/30/12 at 19:11:21

I have some like new mint records from my parents, also will be buying some new records from Amazon. Does anyone have experience purchasing new vinyl from Amazon? Shipping Damage Issues?

Thanks again for all the amazing input, can't wait to get this going!

-R

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/30/12 at 19:48:21

Usually records are shipped pretty well from Amazon and these places. I highly recommend Dusty Groove. It is anything but. They are very consistently very conservative in their record grading. For example, if they grade VG the record is near mint. VG+ to them means pristine; NM looks like it was never played. They sell sealed stuff as well.

55   IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/30/12 at 19:49:18

Rivieraranch,

Thanks for the heads up!

-R

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #20 - 12/30/12 at 21:08:18

I've ordered a number of records from Amazon and through some of their sellers. I've never had a problem with shipping and the records have always been fine. In contrast, I've had some serious problems getting warped records (new) from my local dealers.  John

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 12/30/12 at 23:08:59

Amazon LP packaging used to be very flimsy, and in 2011
I received a double LP through USPS on the hottest July day. The postman wrapped it around the mailbox post with rubber bands... think world-class warpage! My postman agreed that everytime I got a package that shape it needed to be put on the porch in the shade. The last one I got from Amazon also had much sturdier packaging.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #22 - 12/31/12 at 02:13:14

I've enjoyed very good packing from Amazon.
LPs are packed in a specially designed cardboard box meant to withstand the usual postal abuse.
I've bought countless LPs from AMAZON and have only had to return one due to an "elephant stampede" Wink
Anyway Amazon promptly sent me a replacement even BEFORE they sent a courier man to pick up my returns from my house.
You are in good hands with Amazon. Smiley

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 12/31/12 at 16:40:59

I`ll add Dusty Groove to desktop.
I use Discogs which is a market place
for hundreds of sellers. I`ve allways
found the grading accurate so far, and
albums allways arrive well packed in
made for purpose cardboard boxes.

Carefull when opening. Some sellers
place the records & inner sleeves outside
of the record cover.

I dont usually plug but I wasn`t a fan of
Regas platter mat. On glass I couldn`t help
wondering if the felt was slipping just a tiny
bit. After a few buys I came across the `Dead Steel`
platter mat.http://www.sounddeadsteel.com/hifi.html Dirt cheap and very neutral. They do
a more expensive `full set up` but you can get
the two components seperately.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 01/06/13 at 23:14:11

I ended up finding a Pioneer PL-750 for $20 bucks.
Nice setup to get my started.

Brushless Direct Drive
Wow and Flutter: 0.022%
Rumble: -78 dB

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/07/13 at 11:36:32

Good option Ron! My first deck was the Pioneer PL 12D, also a pre-owned model. Not as good in the figures dept as yours, but it got me started. I used one of the many Ortofons.
I remember hunting down a Cambridge P50.integrated. (before i/net)
....... Smiley

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 01/07/13 at 11:38:16

Yeah I am doing an audition of the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM/MC in house right now. I am not too terribly impressed with it.

Might spring for the V-LPS II or the Cambridge 651P.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 01/07/13 at 11:52:38

That was my old phono. The 2 valve box. It`s waiting for my e-bay clearout. I changed the valves for cryo`d ones from Watford valves after the originals died way to soon.
I took it back before, complaining the valves hardly lit up.

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/07/13 at 11:54:11

How is the warm-ness of the Cambridge?
the 651P is 229 while the V-LPS II is 199.

Everyone seems quite high on the V-LPS II.
Do you know where the Cambridge Audio device is made?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/07/13 at 12:22:39

Cambridge, designed UK, manufactured...China.
The only thing I have to go on if making the choice
is a bit contrived, but I also owned a M.Fidelity A1
integrated and it was better than the Cambridge P50.

IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #30 - 01/23/13 at 16:02:11

There is a lot of nice stuff used out there.
Tables and phonos.
Shop carefully and you will be rewarded.
Advantages of buying new like from music Direct is you can return anything you don't care for. Highly advised to listen first on Phono stages.

Lots of Regas out there now, but you are settled now.
Enjoy!

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print