Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 14:58:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why are you into this? (Read 14359 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Why are you into this?
11/19/12 at 23:09:42

I'm wondering why we all are here.
Are you into the constant uphill battle of improving your equipment?
Are you into purity of sound?
Are you into music?
I'd like to think I'm just into music, but it seems that I like a bit of the uphill battle.
How about you?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Why are you into this?
Reply #1 - 11/20/12 at 00:08:23

I'm into this for the music.  But, since I love music and its sounds, I'm always trying to improve those sounds to enjoy the music more.

Everything is relative, of course.  At the time the earlier composers didn't have the advantages of certain instruments, they were happy eliciting the best of what was available, the sounds produced by those more primitive instruments.  They were not interested in the sounds per se, but in the music possible through those sounds.

Non-live listeners have always had that technological limitation, whether it was monaural radio or more rude playback systems, whether the sound was accompanied by friction noises or other gross disturbances, they enjoyed it the best they could.

Today we enjoy more of the live playing sound experience in our playback systems thanks to that evolution.  Still, we face fidelity barriers but we are happy with what we have, so long as it is close enough to what the available possibilities are (our references).

So, in this evolving music playback journey, the sound resembles more and more the real thing.  Not different from other human endeavors, masses get more access to what used to be the exclusive privilege of the very few (enjoyment from 'good' live music).

Like in everything else, there are no absolutes in playback music sound perception, just a relative reflection of our own evolving acquired references.  This is what keeps us on the quest for that slightly better sounding piece of music we like, just to enjoy it more.

Maybe a big inducer to this process is being the kind of people with that slightly special affinity/sensitivity to music, relative to the majority.  If you enjoy a cello sonata, that audio system better not betray those timbres and the subtle and compelling rasp of the bow over the strings.  You may not require that level of playback precision from metallic rock, maybe?

I hope this makes sense to all.  If not, don't flame me   Smiley

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/12 at 00:13:14

Being a long-term musician, I'm looking for a path to musicality that is within my budget... And I can't think of a better place to do that than here... Oh, there are other places to go on the net; however, under one roof, there is no comparison, IMHO...

The info is honest, the equippage is unassuming, and the results are uncommonly good considering the cash outlay... You'd have to spend ten years+ to get all this by just bopping around to different places... And empty your bank account in the process...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/20/12 at 01:07:50

Donnie,

Music brings me peace of mind.  I respect passion and the quest for understanding.  Decware (staff and customers) seems to be both and for that I am thankful.  

JD

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #4 - 11/20/12 at 02:21:02

I'm into this because of my love of the "sound of music."

I used to be a band member in my college days.
I always played "by ear" to maintain PRAT with my fellow band members.
The music score was just another piece of paper to me. Wink

So when it comes to Hi Fi, I'm very particular about Tone and Tiimbre Accuracy, hence my keen interest in tubes and associated equipment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/20/12 at 04:24:52

I'm in it for the music, I've always loved music, whether it was my mother's father playing his banjo and organ, my father's mother playing the piano and organ, the music in church (I'm a preacher's kid, so there's lots of church in my experience), the sound of my father's records on his Dynaco system, the sound of the Philly soul on the neighborhood radios, music was a big part of my childhood.

And I like to play music, and I like to collect music, and explore recordings. I love to consider how music is of its time, and also can be timeless. It's a language in my brain and it has been a great connecting medium for me with other souls who I have bonded with.

I also like the reproduction of music and discovering little things through different tubes, cables, isolation components, power treatment. . . developing the sound and my ear and my mind, it's part of an evolution within my life that I nurture and enjoy deeply.

I'm glad I found Decware fifteen years ago as it's been a real catalyst in the playback aspect of my musical life.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/24/12 at 01:19:50

I found a pic of the Zen Open Baffle speakers, while web surfing, and I was captivated. I had to build them, and I did. Connecting them to my yamaha home theater seemed kinda sacrilegious, plus that's not the room where I wanted the music. Having bought the ZOB plans and having read much of the decware site, I was hooked. I now have a CSP2+ preamp and a Taboo amp. My latest purchase was a pair of FRX2's. All because of a chance viewing of a pic of the ZOB.

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/24/12 at 04:01:16

I found myself listening to less and less music even though music had become more accessible than ever due to iPods and such. However, lossy formats and crappy digital systems robbed the soul of music. Now I am listening to digital done right and music is an important part of me life again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/24/12 at 04:18:46

Yes, it's amazing what digital done right can do. Though the last half of the year I've been entranced by how amazing vinyl sounds. I'd somehow forgotten! So easy to slip into a great listening session, especially with an all Decware signal path.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/24/12 at 14:09:18

I allways promised myself a decent hifi, but when the Decware phono
settled in I started thinking audiophile and laid out the extra for more
D/ware amps so that the phono could really breathe. I`ll recoup part of
the expense with an eb clearout, but will incur more layouts as  serious
platforms will be required. Ho hum.
I can buy most albums mint through discogs at very reasonable prices,
so digital hasn`t got a hold on me yet, and it`s really got to be one or the other, as equivalent digital would be both arms and legs.
I was though, thinking the other day that new albulms are dta recorded.
When it comes to music I have/had US guitars, use a Mesa amp and have always found US gear to be very "this is what you want, here it is" value. Quality engineering/design/value. Even my old Firebird had a superb sounding cd/radio.   Cool
And no, I`m not going down the back of the Mesa to see whats in there.
Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/24/12 at 19:55:30

Its finally the realism of music for me.

I have played nice instruments over time. Music for me was the expressive interaction between player, the tune/song/piece, and the feel and sound of the instrument. All the magnificent qualities of a nice acoustic instrument, the tonal nature and nuance innate to the instrument, how it expressed harmonics, how it felt in hands and body, how it expressed deep, hard hits, right through subtle touch...this definitely had a huge influence....and the enjoyment of "riding" all this interaction produced the music. This is where Decware shines for me, you hear it all.

And there is little doubt to me personally, that excellent even order harmonics (without odd order harmonics) contribute to the sense of there being players in the room...just because this is the way we perceive natural sound...our senses are tuned from birth to take in and interact with natural sound. I feel odd order harmonics confuse the mind and whether we notice it consciously or not, the mind perceives it. Without them, the mind does not have to work trying to unravel what is subconsciously wrong, giving it freedom to enjoy. So purist tube amps fit pretty nicely into being able to get  deeply engulfed by the music.

I also love that with this gear, it is so transparent and flexible, that it is really fun to fine tune the system to refine and optimize the sound to tastes. The magic of tubes, wires, caps, feet, cables.... I don't see this as uphill, I see it as opportunity for the fun of digging deeper into the realism of music in my room.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 11/24/12 at 23:21:56

What a bunch of passionate people we all are!
We would make an interesting bunch of consumers for some marketing people to research. We are all describing our love of music and high fidelity with such passion and emotion. I bet that the users of Ginsu Knives don't carry on he way that we do.
I also noticed that there is a common thread amongst us of music taking us back to another place in time, remembering something that moved us.
But if you think about it, a recording is just a memory in itself.
My thoughts are getting too deep. Long weekends let me focus on things that I don't normally think about. Sometimes being smart is fun!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/26/12 at 02:49:07

I have been an audiophile for 35 years, and then for the last 10 I have had a much better grasp of how music works when it sounds right. I discovered tubed amplification thanks to Dr. Gizmo, and was led here by friends and the internet. I picked up my Torii 3 in June, and it has sounded good from the start. I knew it would get better, but didn't think about it because life was good.

Last week it opened up to a new level, and I am really awestruck! I installed the Tannoy factory footers under my Canterburys and realized a great more detail in my music. The
system is probably catching up to the amp so I may have been missing this for who knows how long...
It is so addictive and involving I just hope I never have to live without it! Now I am a music lover and don't worry about the equipment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 11/26/12 at 03:55:15

Douger, my Torii Mk III also exhibited a significant change after about half a year! What an amp! We're lucky dogs.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 01/15/13 at 21:37:00

...into because of:

-Steve's wonderful Amps with Even Order Harmonics and NO Negative Feedback.....Pentodes run in Triode
-the great original SV83 Tube (EL84's are not to shabby either)
-Tube Rectification
-my great front end of AA gear that has served me well for 18 years and counting.....
-my digital and analog cables
-my iPad2 as a music server with my Cambridge Audio Dock
-800+ CD's & over 200 pieces of Vinyl

....all worth the time and the effort for MUSICAL BLISS    -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #15 - 01/23/13 at 16:12:49

Into this because of the musical enjoyment first, and for a long time.
Into equipment because like most here I'm addicted.
I miss my Decware setup (original Sig. Monos) too. It was glorious with my at the time MFA Magus 2A.
May have to do something about it, although I am very happy with my slimmed down modest setup.

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print