04/16/24 at 07:58:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Musical Involvement: (Read 5833 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Musical Involvement:
11/28/12 at 22:46:58

I would like to touch on musical involvement, because it speaks to the whole issue of how we enjoy music...

My three levels of involvement with music, uppermost first are:

1) Playing music (piano / keyboards)
2) Listening to live concerts
3) Listening to recorded music

Of course, playing music-- especially improvising-- is my biggest kick... The level of involvement there is very high for me... One caveat: If I'm involved with reading a piece, and playing, too much left-brain stuff going on... It takes some of the pleasure out of the experience...

Listening to classical music in a good venue is second... You can just sit there and enjoy... Only problem there is people coughing, and sometimes even talking under their breath... That ticks me off...

And now comes listening to recordings... Actually, a good recording sounds much better than a live concert... One reason for this is that there is usually no audience... So many people can attenuate high frequencies, and deaden down the experience somewhat... Also, the engineer has a clean slate to deal with, and can also do a retake of stuff that doesn't come out the best...

What my experience with tube gear has done is lessen the gap between listening to a live concert, and listening to recorded music... And the gap is getting smaller as I hone my system down more and more... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Musical Involvement:
Reply #1 - 11/28/12 at 23:20:57

Nice topic.

I'd say that I find more value in listening to music at home than playing music or listening to it out of the home. That was not true in my past. When I was playing music with others that was the top spot, but I haven't really done that with any frequency since I got married in '90. Playing alone is not really as engaging for me, it's primarily a group activity for me as far as deep involvement goes, listening and playing at once; I did know how to read in the 'seventies but never really practiced it and was never in a musical situation that utilized it.

Listening outside the home to live performances. . . well I do that with decreasing frequency. To see really quality musicians costs money I'd rather see go to audio goods and recordings, and I really find myself fidgeting and not enjoying the run of the mill bands or groups that I encounter without a big ticket purchase price. But I do enjoy being among people and listening, the way that music is shaped by the audience and vice versa is fascinating.

I really do enjoy listening at home, and I also enjoy having great sound for my video watching, I have a lover and friends that like to watch tv and movies and so do I and I love having a great system and experiencing all of us or myself alone slipping away into deep involvement with the source material. Right now vinyl is bringing me great enjoyment because I'm more easily somehow just drawn into the music and past all the audiophile concerns and mindsets. I just am drawn more directly to the music, something that has surprised me and which I'm very inclined to experience right now. It's not that my analog sound is better than my digital sound, but it's more enticing and involving, qualities hard to qualify.

Every day I'm grateful for my system, my recordings, and all the music in my life, whehter my grandmother playing piano and organ, my grandfather playing banjo and organ, catching my father occasionally playing clarinet clandestinely or openly singing songs from sheet music of the early twentieth century he collects, to all the band mates I've had (especially Deborah Holeman and Jon Elzey) and all the music and musicians I've come to know. And for my collection of instruments from my shistra to my Strats.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/29/12 at 01:01:35

Lon: I would agree that being involved with music along with others adds a certain dimension to the mix... I am primarily a soloist... And that's hard in public... People are listening to YOU... And they are just itching to find a mistake... When improvising, I can usually just smooth over a mistake, but sometimes not...

Believe it or not, I, too, consider LPs the real thing... I've heard [and sold] enough good record playing systems in my time to appreciate what they can do... But for the forseeable future, it's going to be CDs, I'm afraid, because that is what I have on hand...

My favorite cartridge is the London Decca MC... The gold-bodied one, from the mid 70s or so... No cantilever, weird... But the thing sings like no other I've heard... To get that sound back would cost me at least $3500.00 or so, minimum... Probably more... Then I would have to amass an LP collection from scratch... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/29/12 at 01:11:03

I understand, as a soloist it would be different. I'm most drawn to and have the most experience in percussion, which is not really a solo thing, I always looked at my role as support and embellishment, flowing in and with the music of others. I do play piano and guitar as a lone musician but I've not reached a level of competence and confidence that allows me to be totally immersed in it the way I am behind one of my drumkits with other musicians.

I've only had experience with mid-fi turntables and phono circuits inside receivers (with one exception, a Hafler phono preamp) prior to this excursion in vinyl and having heard a friend's Rega and doing some research settled on the Rega RP3 that I have now with it's Elys2 cartridge and am very happy. It's not fussy or finicky and it really gets the timing and drive of music right imo. I'm lucky in that I saved all my records bought in the 'sixties through the 'nineties and find that the music I most want to get on vinyl now (jazz from the 'teens through the 'forties and early 'fifties) is really inexpensive to acquire (I just got 12 lps for 27 dollars including postage, from a seller who always sends me very clean vinyl). So I'm leaning into the vinyl experience, and I've NEVER heard a phono preamp or phono circuit that sounds like the ZP3, when Steve calls this a flagship product he's not jesting.

I think we're lucky to have a deep love for music and great systems, and a great support network here.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/29/12 at 16:52:13

I must have been to a zillion gigs in my day, from clubs, pubs to concert halls. They fell into two catorgories, the standing only ones where you listen, feel and move with the music. Bands like Wishbone Ash and Rory gallagher could give you a great workout. And the sittting down ones where you contemplate the procedings. Both ranged from very good to awesome.
The concerts which really stick out out are the ones where you were drawn in and were unconscious of any sidetracks.
You bought or heard and were familiar with the album being toured.
I can count on one hand the number of sitting down concerts where the
hairs stood up. It`s exactly like the album, except, because of the sound system,  so real, so real that it becomes a living being, an animal (?) and you cant escape it. Someone once said that the devil has the best tunes.
Lol, it passes, you cheer and applaud.
Traffic (the band) had a rythm you could walk on. It was weird.
When I took up playing I/we, with a couple of bands  only got as far as
the rehearsal rooms, more fun than anything. Once or twice we could
create a proper `band sound`. It`s a weird place but wonderful.
I suppose the more you practice the more normal it becomes. Not such a big deal. I never wanted it to become a job. Nowadays I pick the guitar up and just play a few blues licks....or what passes for them under my fingers.
Valve amplification, yes please. It has that ingredient x which can sound magical. Analogue I`ve had for 40 yrs so it`s still improving, and how !

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Robbls
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/05/12 at 08:50:06

A 747 was halfway across the Atlantic when the captain got on the loud speaker,

"Attention, passengers. We have lost one of our engines, but we can certainly

reach London with the three we have left. Unfortunately, we will arrive an hour

late as a r esult." Cheap Runescape Gold

Shortly thereafter, the passengers heard the captain's voice again, "Guess what,

folks. We just lost our third engine, but please be assured we can fly with only

one. We will now arrive in London three hours late."

MapleStory Mesos

At this point, one passenger became furious. "For Pete's sake," he shouted, "If we

lose another engine, we'll be up here all night!"

D3 Gold

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/12/12 at 04:01:08

I am not a musician, but love to attend live events occasionally. I have a music friend who has some physical challenges and very limited funds. Last Saturday I was able to take her to a free Holiday concert by the USAF Heartland of America Band, in Omaha's Holland Center. The Holland is a fairly new world-class venue, featuring primarily Birch construction... Truly awesome!

My home system is very compelling, LP's and CD's sound very good as a general rule. My speakers disappear and my tubes do
their job very well. However, the live vs. home experiences are different and I consider myself fortunate to be able to enjoy both. My friend was also awestruck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print