Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

New ZP3 in the house
11/16/12 at 20:09:39

After the predicted 12 week wait my new ZP3 has arrived.

I had been collecting tubes for this unit so I decided not to use most of the tubes provided. I kept the Raytheon (I think) 12AU7 provided, and used some 12AX7s that I bought from Mike and an RCA OA3 I've had on hand, as well as a Raytheon 5Y3GT that I like (I have another rectifier on the way from Mike to pop in and try). It shipped with a Chinese 5U4G and I just don't see the need to try that out. I think this component is designed around the 5Y3GT, though it does mention 5U4G in one point on the web page.

Initially I'm impressed with the beauty of this preamp, and how it matches my CSP2+ . . . I think these long narrow chassis models are the best looking in the line. And the sound, fresh out of the box is heavy and fast and big and dynamic. I'm going to have a lot of fun spinning LPs as this breaks in!

For now, the PS Audio GCPH is going in my second system. It's a great phono preamp, but I expect the ZP3 to better it in important ways.

Kudos to Steve and the crew. I now have an all Decware analog set up and speakers. I'm done. I'm happy.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: New ZP3 in the house
Reply #1 - 11/16/12 at 20:36:42

Congrats Lon,

Something tells me the ZP3 will be broken in quicker in your hands than most...Really interested in hearing your opinion...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 11/16/12 at 20:54:49

Hey, Lon, congrats!  I know you've been eagerly waiting for this piece to incorporate to your analog rig.  I hope it fulfills all the expectations you have on it.  Have fun!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/16/12 at 21:01:19

Justin, David, thanks.

Other than a hum to track down (or not, it's not at all bad) I'm really happy with the way it sounds right now, but know it will sound even better soon. I've fallen in love with records again with my setup before today, and I know the ZP3 will make me fall deeper. The sound of recordings made on disc before tape is just more accessible to me on vinyl and I love the music in those grooves. And it's interesting to compare vinyl and digital transfers of the same material. Having started back on vinyl, and being a Decware fan to the hilt, I had to try out the component that Steve calls a "flagship". . . .

You know me, I'll certainly be talking about my impressions. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/17/12 at 15:22:59

Hi Lon,

I'll bet you're having fun with your new ZP3.  It's a great unit, and well worth the wait.

I have no regrets with mine.

Are you getting any sleep?  Keep that vinyl spinning!

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/17/12 at 16:09:43

Got a little sleep. Smiley Been experimenting with tube rolling and playing lps that I know very well. I'm very impressed with the sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/18/12 at 16:00:50

I'm in my third "5 on 5 off" period now. Have settled on a Telefunken 12AU7 that I found in my collection, and briefly had a Mullard 12AU7 that I had originally in my old EICO HF81 integrated, both those are excellent tubes in the ZP3. I'm using an RCA 5Y3GT from '43 now as a really nice Tungsol 5Y3GT from Mike is burning in in my second system. And I have been rolling OA3 tubes and have settled on a coke bottle shaped RCA.

Sound is great. The ZP3 lets you really hear your records. I can't wait to hear how this will sound in a few months!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/22/12 at 03:36:11

The ZP3 is starting to surprise and amaze me. I completed my hunt for the best tubes on hand by popping in a Mullard 12AU7 and two Mullard 12AX7s that I used to deploy in my EICO HF 81. Though I have no idea how many hours on these tubes, they are adding just the right amount of richness and sparkle to the sound. I'm playing the recent Columbia vinyl of Bitches Brew and just reveling in the tapestry of sound. I haven't spun a cd all day. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/26/12 at 14:30:51

A long holiday weekend full of great vinyl playback has resulted in a more relaxed and deeper sound from the ZP3.

The ZP3 began to show me that my Mullard tubes were a bit too worn and weary as the dynamics weren't there as I knew they would be, so I put the Raytheon 12AX7s I got from Mike back in, and rolled in a Philips 12AU7 that was a nice rich and neutral sounding buffer tube. (I've got the Raytheon 12AU7 that Steve sent me warming up for a few days in my DEC685, I think it may be a good match but it sounded as if it needed some breakin.)  I also changed the interconnect from the ZP3 to the CSP2+ to my trusty old TARA Labs RSC Reference, which added a bit of body to the sound. Overall, though I know the ZP3 will sound better and better with time, I can say I'm very happy with this component, it is contributing mightily to my growing enjoyment of vinyl. My cds are starting to get jealous.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/29/12 at 13:37:45

There is a bit of further seasoning happening and the sound is deepening. I've settled on a tube complement:

RCA 5Y3GT:  The seller says this is from '43, it IS old and operating flawlessly. Manual says not to substitute another tube type and I haven't.
RCA OA3: I've bounced back and forth with a bottle-shaped and a straight-shouldered and the latter works best with the buffer tube I have in now
Raytheon 12AX7: I bought these from Mike B. and after a bit they've bloomed into dynamic and very neutral tubes. Quiet as all get out too. I have spent a lot of time matching them up with 12AU7 buffer tubes, which seems to be the "anchor," or "lynchpin" to the sound if I choose these Raytheon 12AX7s in the system.
Telefunken 12AU7:  I bought this years ago for use in my ZCD and didn't like it there but so far it seems to be the best fit for the other tubes in the complement. Others that are close are a Mullard and the Raytheon that Steve sent with the amp (which may still be the final contender, I have it going in my DEC685 to burn in some more). I have a lot of 12AU7s and will likely roll some more as the amp is more seasoned in.

I'm getting excellent sound now, detailed, dynamic and I'm just drawn in to the music as if by a magnet. Stereo and mono, imaging is clear as a bell and the music breathes. This phono preamp is a real monster.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/29/12 at 18:03:17

Ok !
I won  a couple of philips miniwat slanted `D` 12au7`s almost giveaway price and put them in my pre amp. I dont want to roll them in the ZP3 until I get my new amps as they have added a new dimension.
I`ve still got the sylvania tr mica 12ax7`s in as stock. Must get some more next year. I havent tried many Oa3`s, seems to be down on my want list, but as you say...
Switching between a military Brimar a Mullard (oldish `o`get) and a TFK for 12au7`s  all good.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 11/29/12 at 18:21:33

Sounds like you have some good tube options too. It's interesting how each tube operates in this circuit, I hear even more distinctiveness than in any other of the Decware components I've tube rolled. But perhaps that will change once the ZP3 is fully burned in.

So glad I have the ZP3 to increase my growing vinyl enjoyment!

IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #12 - 12/06/12 at 12:16:42

Lon,
thank you for the updates on the ZP3, great reading for me.

Received my SE34i.5 last month and will hopefully be seeing DNA's later this month. Going to try and hold off on a better phono pre until I can save for the ZP3. Not sure I can wait that long we'll see.

Decware Taboo MKIV, Decware Rachel, Decware DNA Speakers, Omega Super 8 Alnico Monitors, Decware Zcd240 & Schiit Gungir MB.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 12/06/12 at 14:11:51

Frimpy, it's really worth saving up for the ZP3 and if it looks like you can swing it, order it as early as you can so the wait is minimized.

Steve says he set out to design a flagship product, and he got there, this is a wonderful machine.

I'm sure glad you've gotten your Integrated and are enjoying it! I sure enjoyed mine (the earlier .2 model). Another great Decware product!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 01/23/13 at 23:19:48

Really enjoying the ZP3 in my new rack. I've gone back to the regulator tube and 12AU7 that came with the amp. Now that it's broken in they're pretty nice choices.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #15 - 11/30/13 at 05:06:35

I have ordered my first Decware product the zp3 cant wait to hear how it pairs up with my modded Dynaco sca 35 and fostex 6.5 full range speakers in a six foot tall folded tube. Up to now I have been working on a small budget but things are looking up TT comes next probably backwords  but couldn,t wait

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 11/30/13 at 10:55:29

Congrats! Good idea to get that order in and the wait started!

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #17 - 12/28/13 at 18:05:27

Just got my ZP3 12/26 so so excited!!! Without nice interconnects and an old tt with an AT440MLA cart and upgraded cables and the Dynaco needing a better set of 7199's It is blossuming  nicely.  The build quality is all that I could hope for and the funny thing is that we all notice that it smells nice.  Amazingly aromatherapeutic, Sight, Sound and smell, whats left?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 12/16/14 at 15:23:49

More than two years have passed. . . and I love my ZP3 deeply. This and the Torii Mk III are two components I just never see leaving my main system. It's one of the most amazing products Steve has built. I'm so glad I have one!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #19 - 12/16/14 at 16:41:00

Lon- You are spot on. I have about 100 hours on my ZP3 now (still stock tubes) and it's amazing. The Rachael amp has seen use every day since Holloween and my wife is amazed and so am I. Played some records last Saturday for company during cocktails and dinner and they we floored. I just need to upgrade my speakers now. If anyone is THINKING of a ZP3 jump with confidence because it is an amazing piece of gear. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 12/16/14 at 18:14:02

I can't imagine ever upgrading my phono stage again after adding the ZP3... maybe other components, but the ZP3 is here for good.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 12/16/14 at 18:32:22

The ZP3 was the ruin of me  :) I just had to get a  Decware pre/power amp section. I`ve just turned it all on and `Time Loves a Hero` L. Feat sounds brilliant. Room filling delicacy. When it all warms up....

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #22 - 12/18/14 at 20:40:30

One week in and I have about 40 hours on my ZP3 and it just keeps getting better! 'dark side of the moon' last night had me spellbound. I may just need to start saving for a decware preamp to add more weight as I've read in these forums. Hard to imagine it being better but, looking forward to it.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
stoutblock
Verified Member

Re: CSP3 as a Pre-amp
Reply #23 - 12/20/14 at 02:30:23

^^^ I am right on your heals, maybe 20 hours on mine.  Rolled a few tubes to my liking.  Amazingly good phono stage!  Sounds great combined with my CSP3  :)

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #24 - 12/30/14 at 18:42:19

Hey sblk,  Did the same -NOS tubes in all the slots. I converted some LP's for my uncle over the holidays and the CD's sound great. Nice n smooth great clarity. Gonna let the ZP3 break in at least 6mo before thinking bout a CSP3....have a great New Years!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #25 - 01/19/15 at 17:35:07

ZP3 sounding so damn good!  5+ weeks with ZP3 now I will be holding off on any diffusion or absorbtion treatments until this bad puppy is at least 200+ hours broken in. Sounds so damn good now and just getting better...breathlessly good. My listening sessions have increasing in length. Will be adding Power Line Conditioner (blue cirlce PLC FX2 Xoe 6outlet) in the next week. I installed a Hubbell  HBL 8300 hosp grade power receptacle this weekend in preparation. And, thinking bout buying Iso-acoustics speaker isolation stands for the Lores at the NAMM Show this coming weekend. Things are moving along very, very nicely!  8-)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print