Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 16:41:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm now drinking the Kool-aid (Read 1541 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

I'm now drinking the Kool-aid
11/10/12 at 22:01:40

I'm falling into this madness and I can't stop. I just ordered a $95 USB cable.
Everything that my logical brain tells me just went out the window. I know that ony one's and zero's go through a USB and that nothing can make it any different, But changing interconnects really helped......
You all have ruined me. Logical me is confused.
I'm going out back and shooting something!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I'm now drinking the Kool-aid
Reply #1 - 11/10/12 at 22:52:44

Spare something being shot.

Consider this: there's a lot more than just ones and zeros going through that cable. There's electricity too in many cases. And you have all that passing through metal crystals, insulation fibers, connectors and possibly solder. . . .

It's okay to have an open mind about this, an open mind is not a crazy mind!

Happy listening!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/10/12 at 22:58:54

I feel for you. But then....one group's "logic" (when it is missing relevant details) is another group's bullshit. Unless the USB power noise from the computer to the DAC is isolated somehow, you will hear it! And even worse...how it is "isolated" can be heard.

Our pesky Decware may be the culprit.... unless something is pretty messed up, it lets us hear the reality of changes pretty clearly.....So really, maybe you should take the 944s and the RED Torii our back!

Roll Eyes

On second thought, maybe another glass of Kooolaid would be better.....

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/10/12 at 23:01:01

Lon...you must be a lot faster typer than me....actually that may not be that hard! I am poky!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/10/12 at 23:12:00

I'm not really that fast. . . I'm steady. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/10/12 at 23:19:55

As far as 'digital' cables, there's only electrical square waves at sampling rate, right?... I mean, the square wave rise time might make a difference, but the cable is transmitting real-time [on / off] voltage peaks and dips in a square-wave fashion... As long as the 'ups and downs' are followed fast enough ... ???...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 11/10/12 at 23:22:54

I have really fallen for Mapleshade's Kool-aid.
The only thing shot this afternoon was a paper target. 50 rounds through my .45 really calms me down. Plus it gives me reason to listen to my stereo tonight while I reload the brass.
BTW, I wear both ear plugs and over the head ear protection.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/10/12 at 23:34:35

How does a clock signal figure into that equation? In my experience digital cables make a difference. Types of transmission (coax, AT&T, optical, HDMI) as well. I can see why maybe it shouldn't but it seems to.

Donnie, I hate guns.  But I like you anyway. Glad you wear ear protection.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/11/12 at 00:02:09

This topic is only interesting to me since I can clearly hear different USB cables in my (particular) DACS, and all the theory in the world won't change that....and for each DAC it is a different cable that makes each sound best to me.

That said, I used to know a reason for this and hope I am remembering it correctly. Seems to me it was that the computer sends a very low current power to a chip in the DAC, in which case you have analog noise in this power, which in turn can put noise in the DAC or async device if this power is not isolated somehow.

In my Tranquility, every USB cable I have sounds different. Same with my V-Link async thingy and Decware ZDAC...but I believe these all use this small current from the computer.

So the better cables attempt to isolate this noise from the 1/0 wires, and attempt to clean up this power/ground noise limiting its passing into the electronics of the DAC.

Sorry, I can't recall with clarity, but there are creative explorers out there that have the info.....the naysayers, well....sometimes they maaayyyy get it right, but in the case of all the cables I have, power, IC, USB, I hear each one's character, and for tuning my system to the impeccable, they all matter.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/13/12 at 15:53:04

Donnie, be sure and let us know if you perceive any changes with the new cable.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/13/12 at 22:59:33

Lon,
I just got a Email that the cables that I ordered shipped on Monday. I should have them in my sweaty palms by Thursday.
Seeing that these are supposed to be a Christmas present to me from my wife, I'm kind of debating if they shouldn't be put away for the next month or so. But then again the world is supposed to end on December the 21st......

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 11/14/12 at 00:04:41

Well, I know I wouldn't be able to keep it out of my system. I'm weak that way. Christmas is. . . a state of mind for me. Smiley Nice of her to get that for you!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 11/16/12 at 00:14:54

Well, it looks like my ears are good enough to tell the difference between USB cables.
I won't say, at this point that there is a night and day change. But the cable does sound what I will call, better. A little more treble detail.
We will give them a little time to burn in and then switch back and forth between the Wyred 4 Sound cable and the Mapleshade to see what I like.
Just as I am typing this I notice that the bass is considerably
more "punchy", enough that I might back my sub off a little.
Time will tell.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 11/16/12 at 01:12:35

Glad you are hearing some differences Donnie. I'm interested to hear further impressions. Smiley

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 11/16/12 at 02:09:33

It will help to first take out those plugs and over-the-head ear protection of yours ...  :)

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 11/16/12 at 23:14:22

Wow, I'm really happy with how my stereo sounds now. Who would have thought that a silly looking piece of wire could make such a difference.
Last night I just left my computer on feeding into my DAC to help burn in the USB cable. Tonight things have really loosened up, everything sounds a lot deeper and wider.
I figure 75% is just me wanting things to sound better, but there is still that other 25%.......

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/17/12 at 15:42:44

Interesting how 25% improvement in the right areas can be a lot more than that in the big picture!

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/17/12 at 15:55:33

I was never much of a fan of burning in anything until I got the Zen Triode... It's so revealing that burn-in time on things like CD players and cable does make a difference... I just didn't think it would make any difference on a "digital" cable... Well, you learn something every day on here... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 11/17/12 at 21:15:54

Mark,
I'm with you on the thought that it makes no sense that something digital could burn in, or for that matter, change anything. But every time I work up the nerve to blow some money and buy a cable, things seem to improve and improve more with a little time on them.
I'm baffled, but then again I only have a 8th grade education.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print