Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 17:36:19 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion (Read 111950 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion
Reply #50 - 11/06/12 at 23:22:21

This has probably been mentioned here, but bear with me, please:  Don't you want to dissipate vibration(s) from components and speakers?... That is, conduct them in a controlled way into some other medium?... I know that is what sorbothane does... Turns vibration into heat, right?...   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 11/06/12 at 23:31:51

I find that Sorbothane dulls and muddies the sound. That's my experience, and why I started with Mpaleshade footetrs and then Herbie's Audio Lab products.

Yes, you're right, isolation products are of various types for various functions, from isolating from vibrations to coupling to transfer vibrations.

This from Herbie's Audio Lab may be helpful:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/sqfaq.htm

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #52 - 11/06/12 at 23:35:03

That's what I thought initially too.  Apparently, the isolation is against incoming vibration generated by the actual sound waves generated by the speakers as these reflect from the surrounding structures, especially the floor, and not those inherently created inside the components.

So, the isolation is usually aimed at creating a vibration barrier, not a vibration drainage, with the exception, I think, of microphonic vibration generated by the tubes, which are mitigated by those rings at the upper mica edge.

I'm just learning here, don't take my word for it ... I think Lon's link (we crossed messages, sorry), may explain it much better.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 11/06/12 at 23:39:34

Well I`ve just ordered 30 grungebuster dots.
I thought job done with the sorbathane, but
you know, for $27 it`s worth an experiment.
Still not my final solution but that will be when
my system is complete and I start fine tuning.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 11/06/12 at 23:52:25

I'm going to chime in here again:  When I tried tube dampers, I perceived a certain deadening of the sound, and removed them... I can only surmise that some of the errant energy reaching the amp and tubes was actually adding something that was aesthetically pleasing to the sound... Just like second order harmonics generated by single ended circuit topology enhance the sound somehow...

We all know that certain woods like those in a violin are critical to the overall sound presentation... So why not the woods chosen for your audio equipment to sit on?... Also, can the wood itself be responsible for producing its own sound when excited by acoustical energy?...

We don't seem to want a speaker cabinet adding artifacts to the room, but what if they were pleasing artifacts?... Like a good violin?... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/06/12 at 23:54:41

Thats what I thought FB. The idea was to damp external
vibrations and not electrical microvibrations. You might be
able to damp the chassis but the microvibrations are still
occuring and exiting the phonos. When units go on QC
these vibrations must be small enough to discount. Still,
fine tuning must have real results.....

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 11/07/12 at 00:19:20

I agree that wood can be euphonic, I use maple platforms, and one myrtlewood one. Each system is different, there's a balance that can be obtained different ways, and we all have different tastes.

I used to be more "scientific" in my youth but now I guess I care less about how or why things work than I do the results of their action. I find playing about with isolation/coupling to be as much fun, maybe more so than tube rolling. I like the tube dampers, in my system I don't hear deadening so much as . . .focusing? A clarity, less fuzziness. But that's in MY system, all I can really talk about with any credulity or sincerity.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 11/07/12 at 00:35:50

Syd wrote on 11/06/12 at 23:39:34:
Well I`ve just ordered 30 grungebuster dots.
I thought job done with the sorbathane, but
you know, for $27 it`s worth an experiment.
Still not my final solution but that will be when
my system is complete and I start fine tuning.

Marky, will be interesting to hear your impressions of the Grungebuster dots.

I still have Sorbothane in two places in my system: I have two "Zen Stands" and These have a layer of Sorbothane under the top piece of wood. These stands are nice, really well sized for Decware components, and sound pretty "quick" so in this instance I haven't been bothered by muddiness as I was when using Sorbothane feet in the past.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 11/14/12 at 20:20:00

Okay...Mr Herbies grungebuster dots
With sobathane ;
Track1 side 1 G.Deads `Terrapin Station`-
As I`d popped in the RCA 5R4GY into the ZP3 I was wallowing
in the room filling sound. Bass was radiating into centre stage,
guitars chopping rythms both sides of stage with nice presence
This was the main focus of my attention. What was that playing
the solo break ? Electric moogy synth ? It was floating right to
front centre. The engineer had done a great job.

With Grungebuster dots.
I removed all the sorbathane from tt su ph p/p and 2 platforms,
top platform spiked. Replaced all with G/dots, and doubled up
on the tt with the 3 pieces left over. Replayed track.
The radiating bass was now more focused to where the player
stood and not spilling into the middle ( bloated?) There was also
more power shifts to be felt (moving air) More natural. Guitars
now had the ability to extend more back to front so that some
notes were heard a la head phones. More focused. That solo
instrument was now definately an alto sax ( I hope )  :)

Considering these are Herbies entry level product I was pleased.
Getting rid of the sorbathane and replacing it with G/dots was a
+ve. I could have been stuck with that c*** for some time without
this thread. Bodes well for Herbies in Spring after my new D/Ware
gear is firmly seated and I stop buying tubes.  8-)

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #59 - 11/14/12 at 21:23:18

Interesting results, marky.  I wonder what types did you get (sheets, dots, thick or thin dots, square or round dots, an assortment)?  Looks like a good starting point if these are significantly more affordable than the more complete solutions (i.e., ISO Cups, Fat Dots, Tender Feet, etc.).

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 11/14/12 at 21:26:07

Marky, I'm glad you took a chance on the Dots and that they were a positive change. As you say, these are the entry level pieces and it bodes well for the future.

The last few days I've been playing around with the location of Iso-Cups under my amp, my Perfectwave Transport and my Perfectwave DAC II. These Iso-Cups are great, and moving them about is like tube-rolling, it's that much of a change in the focus and presentation. Always surprises me.

My ZP3 is arriving Friday and I have Halos for the tubes and will use the Tenderfeet under the unit that I am using with the PS Audio phono preamp. Looking forward to hearing the results. (I'll start off without using any of these and introduce them.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 12/07/12 at 13:42:08

The most amazing interaction between an isolation device and a component in my experience has been between Iso-Cups and the Torii Mk III. As will and OC have also noted, moving those under the Torii can cause a different presentation. My current favorite locations are the two front underneath the rectifier tube (5U4G in my case) and the rear just in front of the original rear feets' locations. Very ambient and enveloping sound, recaptures a bit more of what I had with the ERR as compared to the HR-1 Omnis now in the system. A mellow top end and a vivid midrange. Where I have a "needle drop" and the same LP this is an interesting comparison, quite similar in all important ways.

Locations of Iso-Cups are very interactive under other components, but most revelatory in my system under the Torii Mk III.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/07/12 at 15:13:06

Lon,
I've got them in the exact same places under my Torii and it really does enhance the sound,  without them the Torii is sitting on a well developed and very beautiful core audio amp stand.  It may be overkill to most but sitting the Torii on the isocups and the stand takes my music to a higher level. I took them out for a few days to see if I could recognize the difference.  WHen I put them back I knew immediately that they will stay.  Do you use any under the CSp2?  I am contemplating trying them.
You were also right about the breaking in period of the CSP2...it's just starting to flourish after 3-4 weeks.
JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 12/07/12 at 15:46:52

Hey JD, that's so cool that we both discovered that sweet spot! Smiley I think the Iso-Cups are amazing under the Torii, and yes on stands or racks helps as well. I'm always fascinated by isolation and coupling and audio.

No, at present I can't use Iso-Cups under the CSP2+ because of logistics. Where I have the preamp if I use the Iso-Cups and the PS Audio Perfectwave AC-12 power cord that I love on this preamp it won't stay in place due to the weight and the backwards pull of the cord. I have it (and the ZP3) now on Tenderfeet, which is an improvement over the stock footers. But soon I'll have another set of the Ingress Audio Engineering "Rollerblocks" and I'm going to try those under the CSP2+ -- my experience with these under my HR-1s is very favorable.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 03/25/13 at 23:02:01

Hi Lon, I'm curious, have you tried using the Iso-cups under your ZP3?

Steve at Herbie's, says you're not supposed to use them on components under 20 pounds in weight, still...I'm wondering.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 03/25/13 at 23:10:50

Hey Mike, yes I've tried them. They work well actually. A bit better than what I do use (Tall Tenderfeet). BUT . . .  I use the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cord on these "half chassis" components and the weight of the cord prevents the ZP3 from seating on the Iso-Cups and staying put. Using a lesser cord yields less great sound than using this cord and using the Tenderfeet. So that's what I'm using. The Tenderfeet really get you  almost all the way there soincally, especially as I have these on my two CSP2+ as well, and all three preamps are sitting on the Skylan amp stands made for Decware, which are doing a good job of helping with vibration control as well.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 03/26/13 at 00:21:34

Hi Lon,  Yes I'm using the Tall Tenderfeet on my ZP3, also.  My Torri III and both modded tuners, use the Iso cups with high end base and gemstone balls.  I really like these Iso-cups, and may spring for a set of four when the $ free up some more.

I have three Supersonic Stabilizers on top of mine, which adds another 1 1/4 pounds or so, so that may help out on the  total weight of the ZP3.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 03/26/13 at 04:29:38

I have one stabilizer on mine, each of my components has one.

I think unless you have a thick and heavy power cord there's no issue with the Iso-Cups. Mine are just too thick and heavy, and with the IEC outlet on the top, and the cords arcing down to the PPP below, the unit just won't be stable on Iso-Cups.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 09/21/13 at 21:28:22

Up for some fresh air.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 09/21/13 at 22:09:34

Any new comments on Herbie's products?  I'm still in love with the half dozen products of his, that I use.

Other than the price, I especially like his titanium tube dampers on rectifiers and input tubes.  I'm not so enamoured of them on power tubes, it seems very easy to over dampen my two systems.

I've got everything dampened on my ZP3, just the inputs and 5U4G's on the Torii III (in the process of being converted to a IV, right now).

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 10/13/13 at 12:14:00

Any of you fellow Iso-Cup users try the "gemstones" series?

These are excellent way to fine tune the system, akin to the effect of a whole set of tubes rolled. I've found that for digital especially in my system that the "Deep Moss Quartz" are a great fit, adding a sense of body and depth that are akin to the addition of the CSP2+ to the Torii, though on a smaller scale. Slows things down just an enrichening tad.

Since I've moved to all VooDoo Cable interconnects (and especially with the Ultralinear feeding my first CSP2+ into the Torii) I found from experimentation that "Mexican Agate" balls under the Power Plant Premier adds a perfect "opening up" and dynamic to the sound. The VooDoo cables have brought a bit more dynamics and the "Mexican Agate" seems to catalyze that very well.

Have to say that before my Decware amps showed me what was possible in audio playback and I experienced all that power treatment, cabling and tube-rolling could do I would have scoffed at these gemstone balls as the most reptilian of oil, but . . . I really like what they do.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 10/13/13 at 16:25:25

I've been using Picasso Jasper balls for over one year now, in both systems, with great results. Previously was using Mapleshade footers. Huge upgrade using Herbie's gemstone balls with Isocups!

After trying those, I threw out all my Mapleshade footers.  I have a local friend who use "imitation" Mapleshade footers underneath $25,000 worth of Ayre equipment.  I internally shake my head evertime I see those footers. I've tried to convince him to just try out Isocups or Tenderfeet,  but he's still "unsure".  Herbie's does have a money back warranty, and from what Steve at Herbie's told me this year, people RARELY return anything.

Presently I'm using the Picasso/Isocup combination underneath my Torii III (It''ll be back from Decware this  Thursday in it's new MK IV reincarnation), and both of my heavily  modded FM tuners (FM is very alive and well in the Pacific Northwest).

I'm glad you brought up the subject of the gemstone balls, Lon.  Think I may try switching from the Tenderfeet underneath my ZP3, to Isocups/gemstone balls.

Mike

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #72 - 10/13/13 at 16:26:45

I'm still skeptical, but I might give some items a try.

For a long time, I had my zen amp sitting on a giant block of marble probably 40#), with carbon rods as isolation feet. I honestly can't say I heard any difference with or without. Currently I have my Zen amp "floating" on some nice soft silicon rings - I'm going to have to try a blind test to see if I hear any difference.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 10/13/13 at 16:36:26

Lonely Raven,  You may want to try a set of four Tenderfeet underneath your amp.  If you don't like them, Herbie's will take them back and give you a full refund.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 10/13/13 at 16:44:59

Mike, I bet the Iso-Cups and gemstones under the ZP3 would be great. As I'm sure I mentioned above at least once, I still have (Tall) Tenderfeet under my ZP3 and the two CSP2+ in the main system (and they each sit on a Decware/Skylan Zen amp stand, looks so cool all three of those lined up in the shelf of the Samson Ver.3). I think Iso-Cups give a bit better sound than the Tenderfeet on these components, but the power cords I use just don't allow me to use Iso-Cups--because the IEC inlets are on top of the chassis the angle that causes provided by the weight of the cords makes the setup too unstable. The sonic benefit of the cords far outweigh the difference between the two footers, so the Tenderfeet remain, and they really anchor the components in a great way.

My Dad's system now has Iso-Cups (the original style) under all components, with sets of Lampblack, Ebony, Mexican Jaspar and Picasso Jaspar balls. Made a difference from Tenderfeet, especially under the C amp and ZStage.

Regarding the Mapleshade footers, I actually use my old sets as chassis weights on some components, and I confess that when coupled to the 4" maple platforms Mapleshade sells they really do produce an interesting sound. For some components/systems they can be the cat's meow. I like Iso-Cups and Tenderfeet better for mine, but in conjunction with some components it's a closer call than I might like to think whenever I a/b them (I do that sometimes).

LR, take the plunge into some Herbie's products. I did a lot of do it yourself things in my early Decware years. . . Yeah, I saved a few bucks, but never got the results that Herbie's products bring. Marble in big form never quite did much for me, but these gemstone balls are another matter. If nothing else, try a set of Iso-Cups (I think four work better than three) under a Decware amp, and move them around. I've never heard anything better under a Decware amp.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 10/13/13 at 17:23:33

Lon,  Thanks for the info/support on the Isocups, in regards to my ZP3. You've done a lot of experimentation with Herbies' products.  I've got extra gemstone balls, I'll order a set of four Isocups  for the ZP3 today.  

Yeah, I kept my Mapleshade brass footers to use as top weights also.  Some of them are also used as a "bookends" for my shelved LPs.  The rubber/cork Mapleshade isolation "footer's" are the ones I threw out.

LR,  I suggested a set of four Herbie's Tenderfeet because of their lower cost, but I agree with Lon about the Isocups being the way to go for Decware amps.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #76 - 10/13/13 at 17:33:33

I'm reading up on the tube dampers right now. 6moons liked the early ones - and I have a guitar amps I've been wanting decent tube dampers for. So I might ask for some for my birthday next month (or maybe just dip into my Mystery amp fund and get *one* for my 6N1P on my Zen amp).

I don't want to blow too much money while saving up for the Mystery amp, but I wouldn't mind tweaking a little while I wait.   Cry

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #77 - 11/07/13 at 22:39:24

So, a small update...I did pick up tube dampers, the same ones Steve H recommended to another Zen amp owner in his forums - RX for input, and the expensive Halo on the power tubes. I left off the rectifier as I'm really not sure how much improvement that would make...and honestly, my old rectifier socket is rather loose and wobbly - I think I'd better upgrade the socket itself before I put a halo on the tube.

Lastly, last night I was doing some after midnight listening to a classical CD I picked up at Goodwill - I forgot what it was, but the CD literally had a warning about blowing speakers with the dynamics involved in the recording...yeah, that's what made me buy it! So I do what Steve H recommended and put my hand on the Oppo BDP-105, and honestly I was expecting a slight hum like vibration or something...but what I wasn't expecting was a WOBBLE. It felt like a car tire that was out of balance - wump, whump, wump, whump as the disc was spinning! CRAP!

It's no wonder FLAC files sound better than the CDs I ripped them from with all that disc wobble causing jitter!! Looks like I have more stuff to address!   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #78 - 03/14/14 at 19:31:48

Been tweeking the system a little as I'm now running KT-66 in the Mk III and it's a new ballgame in some ways.

It always continues to amaze me how much moving the Iso-Cups around beneath the Torii can siubtly influence the sound of the Torii!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 03/14/14 at 20:14:20

I've been running five IsoCups under my Torii III/IV conversion (VCapped with two Jupiters), and also have found that shifting them around, makes a noticeable difference.

It's sometimes hard to believe, but my wife and daughter hear these changes  also.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #80 - 03/14/14 at 20:34:54

Thanks for reporting that Mike, nice to have yet another confirmation of what we hear.

Five? Interesting.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 03/15/14 at 02:06:16

Lon,

Thinking about how much the Torii weighs, I placed one IsoCup in each corner, and the fifth is centered between the back two. This was last year.

Actually, the fifth one is placed a couple inches towards the front.  I figured with all the weight the four transformers "impose", on the rear of the chassis, it might be helpful.   And it was!

I don't remember the exact difference it made, but I felt it made it worthwhile investing in the fifth IsoCup.

What I may try sometime, is placing a sixth IsoCup towards the front.  
Instead of considering them as four different "feet", using 5 or 6 may be more of a "platform" concept.

Extra stability up here in earthquake country. Usually get a few tremors every year or two.

And if it works, who cares what it's called...

Mike  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 03/15/14 at 02:16:41

That's cool, I never thought about that and should give it a try one of these days.

This sort of thing can be fun!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 03/27/14 at 18:34:56

Lon, I went ahead and tried using a sixth Isocup (with High end base and gemstone ball) underneath my Torii Mark III/IV conversion.

Using The Tony Bennett Bill Evans album (promo LP, original pressing, VG+++) as my listening material, I slid the sixth Isocup underneath the front center area of the Torii, during the middle of a song, and promptly sat back down.

I immediately noticed the soundstage was deeper.   And this was not a tiny difference. Not a big difference, but not a tiny one, either.

Definitely worthwhile, I'm leaving that additional Isocup where I placed it.

Let me know if you decide to experiment with using a 5th, 6th Isocup.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #84 - 03/27/14 at 18:57:49

Mike, fascinating. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try it out, wanted to order some more gemstones before they are all gone anyway.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #85 - 03/29/14 at 20:03:23

I'm so glad you mentioned using these fifth and sixth Iso-Cups Mike. I got in two Iso-Cups (the black ones, I find these don't need the high-end base as the earlier ones do) and more Deep Moss Quartz gemstones.

Definitely, more than subtly, changed the soundstage. Quite enjoyably so. Oh my.

I also exchanged the four gemstones under my Power Plant Premier from Mexican Jasper to Deep Moss Quartz. All my other components were on Deep Moss Quartz except Power Plant Premier previously, I had Mexican Jasper under that.

I wasn't expecting much of a change but I got one. A bit less tall soundstage and a bit less open midrange and a darker tonality. I both like it and not like it so much right now. We'll see how it settles in.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #86 - 04/03/14 at 13:10:00

Well I decided to order four more Iso-Cup bases and Deep Moss Quartz gemstones and added these to the underside of the PWT and PWD Mark II. A subtle difference added to/in comparison to that of placing the extra two beneath the Torii Mk III and the PPP, but a further benefit. What seems to happen (to me) is that the sound becomes a bit less forward (which is a good thing for me) and the tonal balance a bit mellower (ditto). Quite happy with these results!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/03/14 at 15:33:40

Lon,  I'm glad you're having such positive results.

I'm going to try another one or two under my ZP3, and am considering switching the four Herbie's Tall Tenderfeet under my Running Springs Audio Haley, to six Isocups.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #88 - 04/03/14 at 16:00:49

Well, at least it's fun to play around with them!

Wish I could eliminate the Tenderfeet from under my ZP3 and CSP2+s but I can only do that if I don't use the AC-12 power cords with them, but experimentation tells me that the AC-12 brings more benefit than the Iso-Cups into the equation.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 09/08/14 at 20:35:39

I have my CSP2+ and ZP3 on a PerfectWave PowerBase now and am able to use the Iso-Cups under them, and the AC-12s. A huge combined improvement (PowerBase and Iso-Cups), wow, the sound is great. (Been this way several months).

This afternoon I played around with the location of the Iso-Cups under the Torii Mk III again. It always amazes me how much of a difference this makes! Way more so than any other footers I've ever used. A great fine-tuning tool.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 09/09/14 at 11:23:49

Speaking of the PowerBases, the black ones are currently half price at Music Direct.  I have thought about picking up a few of these, but I'm not sure I am ready for this level of tweaking yet.  

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-112640-ps-audio-perfectwave-powerbase.aspx?source=i...;

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 09/09/14 at 11:36:40

I love 'em. Didn't expect to.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #92 - 09/09/14 at 13:25:55

So, is it Ok to use a power base after a P10? I'd be afraid it might add impedance to the mains that the P10 is designed to not have.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #93 - 09/09/14 at 13:29:40

I don't have a P10 but others report using it both before and after a P10 with improvements. Works before and after my PPP with improvements. There's electrical improvements and there's isolation improvements, both, probably the latter more profound. I experimened around with just one and liked it best under and feeding the PPP, if I only had one. But they improve any component, and the incremental improvement of additional ones is. . . seductive.

There are comments on the PS Audio forum here and there.

Fabulous under a turntable.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 09/10/14 at 00:44:30

I read somewhere that McGowan actually uses a Power Base in combination with a P10 (where the P10 sits atop the Power Base).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #95 - 09/10/14 at 00:55:47

here's an interesting review, that mirrors my experience except I enjoy what it does for digital front end and praemps more than he.

http://www.hifizine.com/2013/06/ps-audio-perfectwave-powerbase/

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 09/10/14 at 02:24:15

Dave1210 wrote on 09/09/14 at 11:23:49:
Speaking of the PowerBases, the black ones are currently half price at Music Direct.  I have thought about picking up a few of these, but I'm not sure I am ready for this level of tweaking yet.  

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-112640-ps-audio-perfectwave-powerbase.aspx?source=i...;

That's a great deal .. any idea what type of filtration/conditioning are used in these?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #97 - 09/10/14 at 02:28:31

There's some info here if you can make something of it. . . .

http://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-powerbase/

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 09/10/14 at 03:23:24

Thanks Lon, duh ... I should have checked that our before posting Grin

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 09/11/14 at 12:46:59

Lon...are you using a PowerBase under your amp?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print