Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:15:32 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion (Read 110886 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion
Reply #100 - 09/11/14 at 13:05:09

Yes. I'm using a PowerBase under all my components. Smiley It's the icing on both my isolation and power cakes. I'm done in those regards. The only upgrades I hanker for are expensive ones: a better turntable, a P5 or maybe a P10, though I don't need the latter, and two more pairs of VooDoo Cable "Ultralinear" interconnects (one meter, one and a half meter).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 09/11/14 at 13:10:35

Awesome.  Next question.  How are they connected?  Assume it varies by component, but I think it would be good to have as a reference here.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #102 - 09/11/14 at 13:15:19

You'll realize where my bank account went when I say they are all connected with PerfectWave AC-12 cords. Bought most of them used, but still a big investment. But. . . they work best for me. All components are also connected to the PowerBases with AC-12 cords. With the PPP, all those PowerBases and AC-12 cords I have an incredible electrical foundation for the system. I see no reason to make changes in that regard.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #103 - 09/11/14 at 13:20:02

I have heart palpitations just reading that Lon. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 09/11/14 at 13:20:35

So you are using the filtration in the PowerBases for every component?  Everything connected with AC12's?  

Wall-->AC12-->PowerBase-->AC12-->PPP
PPP-->AC12-->PowerBase-->AC12-->Component

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #105 - 09/11/14 at 13:29:59

Dave1210 wrote on 09/11/14 at 13:20:35:
So you are using the filtration in the PowerBases for every component?  Everything connected with AC12's?  

Wall-->AC12-->PowerBase-->AC12-->PPP
PPP-->AC12-->PowerBase-->AC12-->Component

Yes.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 09/11/14 at 14:32:16

Sorry I had to ask twice.  I think I fell off my chair when I first read it.  That is one serious setup!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #107 - 09/11/14 at 14:54:40

Like I said, palpitations. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #108 - 09/11/14 at 14:58:07

Well, when I had a window of both money and no domestic partner telling me what I can and cannot do with it or not to spend it . . . I invested in this. It's done a lot to make my system so very enjoyable, and I shouldn't have to buy much of this ever again.

It too has contributed to the "musicality" of my system that saves me so much, allowing me to just relax into whatever I put in. No futzing with software, etc.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 09/13/14 at 09:00:53

Hey Lon,

I feel like I'm in school listening to you guys with all your knowledge/experience. I so appreciate this forum.

I have a question for you:
I ordered two of the Power Bases from Music Direct (thanks to the tip earlier in this thread), and I have a couple of two-meter AC-12s that I am planning on using from the wall to the Power Bases. I'm wondering about the length of the AC-12s that you use between the Power Bases and the components that sit on top of the Power Bases. Did you have shorties made? The marketing pictures show short jumper-style cords from the Power Bases to the components. Any advantage there?

Thanks for the help,
Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #110 - 09/13/14 at 10:56:04

Hey Randy,

Cool! I think you're going to really like the bases.

I do use .5 meter AC-12 cords for some of the compponents on the PowerBases. These are very thick and not so flexible though, and it really depends on where the IEC inlet is on the component as to whether this will work or not. . . .

I wouldn't say I see any advantage other than tidiness and cost savings using a short cord. Sonicaly I haven't noticed a difference.

The PowerBases came with .5 meter power cords, but they were very unexceptional cords. . . I think I tossed them.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 09/13/14 at 21:05:11

Thanks for the reply, Lon.

Yes, I noticed the quality of the cables used in the marketing brochure - a lot like the red and white "interconnects" that we sometimes get with our components. (Notice I'm using that term loosely). I wondered about the flexibility of the AC-12 in a shorter length. I think that .5 meter might work with my dac, with the AC connection in the back, but with the Torii having its AC connection on the top, I'm not sure. I'll strategize once they get here and I can actually set them up and see where I'm at.

Anyway, thanks again,
Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #112 - 09/14/14 at 18:53:08

Randy, if your footers aren't too tal (1" or less) a .5m AC-12 will work with the Torii on a PowerBase. . . barely! They are very stiff those AC-12s.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 09/15/14 at 08:29:49

Thanks, Lon. I put a bid in on a used 1 meter AC-12 that came up. We'll see if I get it. I'm looking forward to reworking my system in the next week or so. Thanks for the help!

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #114 - 09/15/14 at 13:09:57

Hope the bid wins. Keep us posted as things develop--interested in hearlng your opinions of the PowerBase.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #115 - 09/15/14 at 15:56:08

Quote:
Thanks, Lon. I put a bid in on a used 1 meter AC-12 that came up. We'll see if I get it. I'm looking forward to reworking my system in the next week or so. Thanks for the help!

Randy

Just be cautious about all the fake AC-12 cables out there. I've heard it's usually the 2M ones from Hong Kong that are faked, but you never know, maybe they did 1M cables as well.

When I can, I try to ask the seller what the source is, if they bought it from an authorized seller, and/or if they have a receipt or invoice.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #116 - 09/15/14 at 16:17:55

Good point. And I think a safe cautionary rule is to not buy from Hong Kong or China.

Interesting to note that Music Direct is selling new ones a few 100 dollars cheaper than they were before (but still expensive!)

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 09/15/14 at 21:38:06

Thanks, guys. I agree, I saw a 2 meter AC-12 on eBay for $168, and then I saw that it was from Hong Kong, and I said no thanks. I did get the one that I offered on. It was on AGon, seller in CA, and the price was in line with what I'd expect to pay, so I guess we'll see when it comes.

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #118 - 11/03/15 at 01:56:14

Okay, a non-Herbie's Audio Lab update, or rather an update that I have replaced a lot of Herbie's Audio Lab Iso-Cups. . . with VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods, the new ones.

I had been using the old style Iso-Pods under my DVR and TV and turntable--they really work great there, better than the Iso-Cups surprisingly, but the Iso-Cups were clearly better under the amps and preamps and power regenerators.

Shortly after I bought the Iso-Pods Bruce Davidson of VooDoo Cable redesigned them so that they were a lot like the Aurios and Stillpoint isolation devices that have been out a while. I thought these will probably be excellent, but they were expensive and I was done buying audio gear for a while and spending the money on recordings instead.

Then on the Hoffman board someone was selling a set of Aurios INSANELY Cheap. Like one eighth the original price. I picked them up and tried them all over my system. Strangely they worked best under my DVR and my PS Audio PerfectWave transport, and they made a real difference that I liked. I settled with them under the transport as it gets more use and just really grew to like how they interacted with the whole system. I started looking for more Aurios. . . and they just aren't out there, especially not cheap.

In the midst of this search VooDoo Cable started a deal on multiple sets of their Iso-Pods. They still aren't cheap but there is a savings and I had begun selling extra stereo stuff (I downsized from four systems in three domiciles to one in one!) and had some audio cash and tried three sets of four Iso-Pods. These really surprised me, they were better than the Aurios, and with one set under the DirectStream, one set under the PerfectWave Transport, and one set under the Torii Mk III I am very happy with the results. I was very happy with the Iso-Cups in these locations but the Iso-Pods just give about fifteen percent or more of the benefit of great isolation. A bit more body to the image, a bit more tonal clarity, a bit more spatial info and a better pace to the presentation. I was able to put the Aurios under the DVR and get a little improvement there and I plan on getting one more set to put under the PS Audio P5. And I'll have a whole drawer-ful of Iso-Cups and Deep Moss Gemstones! Smiley I have faced it: I'm never done, but I keep climbing to another very satisfying plateau. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #119 - 11/17/15 at 01:02:41

Added two more sets of Iso Pods, they are now under the CSP2+ which I have back in the system and under the P5. I have the Aurios under the ZP3. Sound is excellent all around, I'm continuing to be very happy with my system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print