03/28/24 at 13:53:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tube problem (Read 7495 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

tube problem
10/19/12 at 15:15:58

So I have had this Zbox for a little while now and tried to put in a differnet tube. I have been running the 12AT7 and like the sound. This morning I put in a 6H2N, just to try it out. Well no sound at all and the tube was quite warm. Swaped tubes back and everything is OK, I have sound and the 12AX7 is just slightly warm. So here is the question. Did I just use a wrong tube or is the tube bad. This tube came with a older CSP2 I bough a while back. Any help from the tube experts would be great.
Thanks,
John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: tube problem
Reply #1 - 10/19/12 at 15:35:35

I believe this is the same as a 6N2P tube, and no, it's not the right tube type for the ZBox, but can be used in the CSP2. So no harm done likely to either the ZBox or tube.

My favorite tube type for the ZBox is the 12AU7A, slightly lower gain than the 12AT7 type, which worked best in my systems.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/19/12 at 20:08:32

Thanks Lon,
I though it would work becuase it is suppose to be like the 12AX7 which could be used with the Zbox. I just wanted to see what a little more gain would do to the sound.

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/19/12 at 20:17:17

No, I don't think it's like the 12AU7 electrically at all, or at least not enough to work in the ZBox.

In the case of my system, 12AU7 had too much gain for the ZBox, it distorted with the "knob" turned up much at all and seemed edgier when not distorting. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print