05/05/24 at 14:18:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fake tubes (Read 5421 times)
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Fake tubes
10/18/12 at 00:30:49

I thought I'd post this link as an FYI. Be careful as this is not uncommon.

http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.htm

I'm very careful buying on fleabay these days.  ;)

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Fake tubes
Reply #1 - 10/18/12 at 01:54:26

I think it's interesting (or maybe even funny) how some guys who have these mega-buck audio systems will buy a really expensive fake set of tubes, show them to their friends as bragging rights, and they all listen intently, and the whole lot of them can't tell the damn difference anyway!... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/18/12 at 11:56:22

If you have a piece of gear that was voiced what is now a 'rare' tube the sonic difference will be very noticable...just try to get a refund. Some of these now revered tubes were not designed for audio. They were not built by elves in the Black Forest and coated with pixie dust for your listening pleasure. However, in some circuits they do sound wonderful. They may not sound good in your gear though.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #3 - 10/18/12 at 16:21:58

Fake or real, system synergy is essential.

On the CSP2+, the Siemens CCa sounds really bland.
The Pinched Waist Amperex 6922 which Joe of Joe's tube lore proclaimed as the "best" is worthy of its reputation. It costs US$300, can't be faked and is a worthy sonic upgrade.

For really good sonics, one also does not have to spend megabucks.
I bought a couple of Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88s for about 10 euros each (before the current craze).
These relatively cheapo tubes can rival the Pinched Waist 6922.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/18/12 at 21:55:17

Howdy Lord Soth,

Synergy is the key...no doubt. Some tubes cannot be faked but many can. Below is a link to a tube photo library from a reputable vendor.

http://www.tubemongerlib.com/gallery2/main.php

Personally, I hope the quality of new production tubes small signal continues to improve.

Les

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print