Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 13:05:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's (Read 2015 times)
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's
10/10/12 at 18:50:48

Hi,

I own a pair a Paradigm Studio 80v2's. I believe the sensitivity rating is 92db.  Currently my amp is a 175 watt Anthem solid state.  I'd really like to switch to tubes but I like good authoritative bass and am wondering how well a 25watt tube amp could handle it.  I have a stereo only rig and use it for audio/video.

Thanks,

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's
Reply #1 - 10/10/12 at 18:57:50

Welcome Greg!

I think the Torii Mk III will have plenty of juice for your needs. Of course if you can afford them, the Torii Monos would likely be amazing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/10/12 at 20:19:29

I basically agree with Lon. You should be fine. The only caveat is how large your listening space is, and how loud you like it. Also, will you be using a preamp? In a real large room, you may find yourself missing some of the headroom a your present amp can provide. Just something to consider. Might be a good enough reason to give a call to Steve with some additional info who will give you and expert, and unbiased opinion.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/10/12 at 20:27:42

A call to Steve is certainly a good idea! I looked at photos of your speaker model. Very attractive! I bet a Torii will make them indeed happy but a call to Steve would be the best way to address your questions.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/10/12 at 20:52:48

Thank guys for your fast response.  I do use a passive preamp, Counterpoint Solid 8 and my listening room is not large at all.  About 11' by 13'.  I listen w/ the speakers on the long wall.  Hoping for more warmth than i currently get w/ out being too soft.  My system errs on the side of brightness tho it's no too glaring.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/10/12 at 20:55:14

Greg, I honestly think the Mk III will be right along the highway you're looking to be traveling. With its treble cut circuit, you'll be able to tame any brightness that threatens to become too much, as well as eventually tube roll to get the sort of presentation you want, or different ones. With your room size you'll have plenty of power.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/10/12 at 21:01:12

Thanks Lon, I bet you're right.  Along a different line... are you familiar w/ the MODEL CSP2+ pre-amp.  I was just looking at it and wonder if i'd accomplish a lot of my goal by using that and just keep my current amp.  Would save some $ too.

Thanks

Greg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/10/12 at 21:21:10

Greg, I have a CSP2+ preamp in use right now, been here about six or seven weeks, and I've had a CSP2 preamp (its predecessor) for over five years I believe. A wonderful preamp, I thoroughly enjoy mine.

You would certainly enjoy an improvement in sound along the lines you're looking for. But in my estimation the change in amp will bring you further improvement, move you right on down the line. The Mk III doesn't need a preamp, it has two inputs and gain adjustment. (The CSP2+ would sound wonderful used with the Mk III as well, but it's not necessary for the Torii to be dazzling.). In my experience a tubed preamp controlling a solid state amp can bring wonderful sound. But I've always preferred a tubed amp.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/10/12 at 21:32:01

You make a good point about not needing a pre amp w/ the Torii.  I wish it had a few more inputs, tho future plans for an Oppo Universal player would make that a non issue.  Thanks again for your expertise.

Greg

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/11/12 at 00:03:17

Hey Greg, I'm running an oppo 95 through the torii III for sacd, cd, video and wifi/pandora purposes and it sounds delicious. Watching movies with the ERR speakers is amazing.  I have to say that my fm tube tuner directly to the torii has more warmth but the oppo has more options.  waiting on the csp2+ which I believe will even the playing field.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/11/12 at 04:00:20

Hi JD,
I'm happy to hear you like the Oppo, and that the Torii drives your 93db speakers so well.  I'm really feeling like I need to get this amp!

Greg

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/19/12 at 14:04:19

Hi all,

Well my decision on whether to get the csp2 or Torii was made.  Fellow forum member Mohicanrx7 was selling a like new csp2  in the classified's here, and at $550 shipped I can dip my toes into the world of tubes w/ out breaking the bank.
   I got it from Fedex yesterday and was able to listen to it a bit last night, albeit with the kids in the house.  I didn't notice the "bloom" I was sort of expecting but Gary said it only has about 500hrs on it.  Maybe it needs more break in time?  Don't get me wrong tho, it sounds nice, if a bit reserved compared to my Counterpoint Solid 8.  It has the factory tubes and I'll likely hold off on getting different tubes for a bit.  Need to give my ears time to get used to the new sound.
Any comments are welcome and as I spend more time with it I'll share my thoughts.

Thanks,

Greg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 10/19/12 at 14:11:48

Greg, awesome, congrats!

To be honest, a lot of "bloom" isn't really a good thing as it's inaccurate and obscuring, but Decware products don't suffer that problem. I find "bloom" more in amps than preamps, but there will likely be that sound coming in as the amp breaks in more (especially if it has been unused for a spell). The stock tubes are very decent, and it's a good idea to use them for a while and get the sound down pat and then if you wish start rolling tubes, there are lots of good suggestions here in the forums.

Keep us posted on your new tube journey!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/02/13 at 18:18:41

So after ordering a Rachael, then canceling that and instead ordering the Torii MK lll with Jupiter caps,  I now see my amp is in the "Testing QC" stage.  Anyone care to hazard a guess as to which day I'll need to take off from work to be home when my amp arrives?  Mpls is about 300 some miles from Peoria as the crow flies.   Can't believe the wait is almost over....

By the way,  I'm looking forward to posting my impressions on the ability of this amp to power my Paradigms.  I have no worries that it won't be up to the task.

Greg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 04/02/13 at 20:47:14

Awesome Gregg! No, I wouldn't want to try to guess the date of shipping or receiving the amp. . . Sarah would be the safest bet, wait til you see it hit "packed" and then call Sarah. . . .

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/02/13 at 20:50:14

I asked Sarah to give me a heads up when it boxed up and was able to take the right day off.  UPS shipping tracking was accurate as well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/02/13 at 21:25:54

Good enough.  Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/09/13 at 20:19:10

It's not often I get a bill for $3000 and it put's a smile on my face.  But it just did.  Won't be long now.   Smiley

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/13/13 at 16:50:38

So, this week I got my tracking # which showed the delivery date was yesterday.  So I took the day off work. Went to my local P.O. as 8:30 because I didn't want to sit around all day waiting for delivery.  Since I got there before the trucks rolled they pulled it off and I was able to sign and go. Before I even left, I had my first impression of ordering thru Decware.  They shipped the amp in a Pelican case,free of charge.  What Class.

So I put it my car and am driving home, almost get to test the Pelican as, of all things, a tow truck runs a stop sign, as we have been getting icy rain/snow, i hit the breaks but kept sliding. So in my best Steve Mcqueen move, I cut hard left, slid sideways thru the intersection, just missed the truck, as he gunned it, must have realized his error.  I mean I missed him by inches.  I digress.

So I get home, plug in the the tubes, hook it all up per the manual.  Decided on my first song.  Beatles Abbey Road  Black Triangle  Here Comes the Sun.    Not good.  Chaotic mess.  Long story short tho,  after 3hrs warm up, and deciphering all the knobs and switches, dialing in the various gain, volume options btwn the amp and csp2, it was  all goody goodness. Smiley

Wow.   Tongue

After 5hrs,  I had pretty much played thru all the music I had been waiting 2months to hear thru this amp.  Now I know I've got a long break in period ahead, but damn, this is definately gonna be a great amp.  My wife loves listening to tunes as much as I do. She was smiling, song after song.  Whew.  After dropping 3 bills, I was just a tad nervous about her reaction.  Not any more.  I put in Willie Nelson - Stardust sacd.  After listening to it I asked her to compare it thru the new amp vs old SS amp.  She paused,  then said, "I can hear each individual brush on the drummers brush strokes.  yeahhh.   Cool

All up and down the frequency spectrum, this amp really delivers the goods.  Bass is  solid, mids are a dream,  highs, which the treble control, all easily dealt with on brighter recordings.  I love it.

So far, to answer my own question which opened this thread, "Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's"  the answer is    Ohhh Hell yes!   No worries in the 92db, 8 ohm department.  None at all.  It grabs the speakers by the cajones, gives a slight squeeze, then calmly asks,  "who's your daddy".  I now have to decide what to do w/ my subwoofer, certainly don't need it now.

Anyways,  that was my first day w/ the amp.  Now, I gotta drink more coffee and take shower.  I was up way too late, drank way too many Summit Saga's last night.   Perhaps you may have noticed. Wink

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/13/13 at 19:37:54

Glad to hear/read the grins. But I wouldn't toss those subs just yet. There are not many speakers that don't need a properly matched pair of subs for true bass. And even the ones that might not "need" them can benefit from them. Of course, it depends on one's musical tastes, as well. Just my two cents.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/15/13 at 13:03:38

True,  but I have to tell you I really haven't felt the need to hook the sub back up and that's never been the case before.  Tho I'll eventually hook it up for movies if nothing else.

As the amp continues to break in it really is something else.  No brightness at all,, finally,  yet no loss of detail what so ever.  Probably the opposite.  More musical etc.  Probably nothing new to add here that others haven't already posted on.  I just feel totally justified in the expense which was a lot for me, tho the cost was mostly offset by selling off a lot of sacd's and collectible cd's that I hadn't really listened to much lately.

Eventually a better disc player and maybe some Err's and I'll be set.  but no hurry.  This current upgrade will tide me over for some time to be sure.

By the way, as an fyi,  the Torii came with 6922's which was a surprise.  I had thought it would come w/ 6n1p's.  And I am using the Philips rectifiers I had ordered from upscaleaudio.com, 2 in the torii and 1 in the csp2.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/15/13 at 14:21:43

Interestingly, when my Torii returned from the shop, the words "6922 only" were written in the tube socket in blue sharpie.

As for the sub, well, I spent almost two years being in love with my ERRs without subs, and were it not for my goal of a combo HT/audio system, might never have pursued them. But once I had subs fast enough for the ERRs, there was no going back. I think the designers and reviewers who note that all but the biggest full-sized speakers need a sub, are likely right.

In retrospect, I really miss the Fried transmission lines of my youth.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print