Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 11:12:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need subwoofer advice... (Read 14991 times)
Damien
Seasoned Member

Need subwoofer advice...
07/22/12 at 17:38:33

I have a Sub box with a new (though generic) plate amp and an old used 8" sub driver that at low volume does ok but turn it up and it sounds very bad. Like the cone is hitting the carpet (it's not).  The box and driver are Klipsch, amp is not a high power amp. 40 watt I think. I don't need much, just a little more bass in my Classic Rock and Blues.

I am looking at 8" subwoofer drivers because that's what fits in my box. I notice Decware sells Dayton brand so I assume that's a good name but they sell only the 10".

I would welcome any advice or recommendations of other brands.. Infinity, Polk, JBL, Pyle, Dayton???? Others?

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: Need subwoofer advice...
Reply #1 - 07/24/12 at 00:06:47

Is the box sealed or ported?

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/12 at 00:15:53

Ported. But I am able to properly seal it if need be

WWW k919596   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/12 at 01:11:40

Try stuffing the port, the sub won't go as deep but it might stop the driver from flopping around.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/12 at 01:22:48

I have and it does help quite a bit more than I expected. Still... I have Decware amp, preamp and Decware ZOB speakers.... and a crappy sub. That's just not right. Wink

WWW k919596   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/12 at 22:55:32

With ZOBs I would definitely look at an open baffle/dipole solution, I would suggest a flat baffle or an H frame.

If you scroll down in the link below you will see pictures of Randy's dual 15" Hawthorne Augies on a flat baffle.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1319157165/0#0

If you scroll down in the link below and look at Poultrygeist's posts you will see his gray 15" Eminence Alpha H frame dipole helper woofers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105447.0

These are just a couple of ideas, of course smaller drivers and different implementations can be used.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 00:36:32

I like the look of the flat baffles better and if I build then the driver size can be whatever I want.

But what brand of driver is good? Dayton... Pyle... Polk... JBL.. Infinity?

WWW k919596   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #7 - 07/25/12 at 00:49:04

Dayton (from Parts Express) is very good.  Hard to go wrong with it (IMHO).

Dan

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/25/12 at 00:51:35

Since that's what Decware sells I will probably go with it unless some really good opportunity presents itself.

WWW k919596   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/25/12 at 04:17:18

Open baffle/dipole woofers need to be high qts or equalized to achieve bass without a box.

The 2 examples I gave are .92 and 1.26 qts.

DVC subs can also be used if you only connect 1 voice coil to the amp, it will effectively double the qts vs. the rating with both coils connected.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/25/12 at 15:20:05

One more time only in english this time Wink

WWW k919596   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/25/12 at 23:13:33

Two or three or four small sealed subs spread about the room will work very well also.

Taken from: http://www.audiokinesis.com/

"The main obstacles to natural-sounding bass reproduction are the inevitable room interactions, which impose large peaks and dips on the bass response. By using multiple subs spread asymmetrically around the room, each sub will produce a unique peak-and-dip pattern at the listening position. The combined average of these unique peak-and-dip patterns is much smoother than any one of them would be, resulting in more natural-sounding bass with excellent pitch definition."

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/26/12 at 03:10:16

I am hoping that the FRX2's** Will eliminate the need for any subwoofer what so ever, however the DFR8's that I have right now  do need a little help with my kind of music. So right now I'm just looking for Band-Aid fix really, to put in this box I have. I don't want to invest a lot of money or time because hopefully I won't need it soon. We'll see....

**if any ever ship....

WWW k919596   IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/26/12 at 03:20:23

To opnly_bafld

The Swarm Bass systems in your link look REALLY nice. But I just don't have the room or the money for something like that right now. I would really like to get just a little help until the FRX2's come out and then see what happens... after that who knows what might happen. I think I need to go read a little more in depth about those things cause they look like I said really nice. (I think I might've drooled just a little bit there...  sorry)  ;)

WWW k919596   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/26/12 at 04:15:26

The subs (bass modules?) don't need to be the Swarm system and they don't need to be large or expensive.

Sometimes we can end up spending more money trying to make something we have work. Wink

Is diy an option?

..............or find a preamp with a bass control. Smiley

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/26/12 at 14:43:48

Yeah I can build them myself but probably won't until after I try some FRX2's in the Zen Open Baffles I built.

My preamp is a Decware CSP2+

WWW k919596   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print