03/29/24 at 07:47:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
select rectifier tube (Read 7186 times)
jameskk
Seasoned Member

select rectifier tube
07/16/12 at 19:42:18

Back a few years ago I bought a black zen select amp . It had a large beefy Winged C 5u4(5u3C on the tube )rectifier tube with it along with svetlana sv83's . Anyway thinking that the tubes were old I boxed them up and forgot about them . meanwhile I bought a newer zen select ,(white ) that I had looked over and updated at decware . So on a tour of old tubes decided to try that winged C 5u4 in the white select . suprised like all hell at what I heard decided to do a serious listen . Are there 5u4's out there that give better tone better bass and detail I never heard??????????????????? got lots of 5ar4's muullard, amperex,Rca ,GE, and the stock one 5u4. Opinions??????????

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: select rectifier tube
Reply #1 - 07/16/12 at 22:50:47

I am running a pair of Winged C 5U4 equivalents in my TORII MK III and they perform extremely well. An older pair of Sylvania 5U4G's were exhibiting some mechanical noise. the Winged C's are quiet and the amp sounds perfectly wonderful with them.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/17/12 at 02:05:58

So do you think they are much better than the "made in china " stock 5u4. quieter is what i think im hearing,darker (quieter), background.?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/17/12 at 12:14:57

I have not used the Chinese rectifier tubes.  I imagine that less mechanical noise from the tube would translate into a quieter background.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/12 at 13:41:25

thanks Riverranch for getting back to me . thats right less noise is good here. small room , hear everything . I also have a torii mkiii, which my cousin is getting ,,,,,,, because the torii is just too monstrous in my small room 9x13. I believe it will sing in his 16x30x18H room . i myself am very please with the select and the zcd200i. more gain than I  ever want or need!!!!!!!!! and this rectifier  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print