Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:00:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving up from 2 watts (Read 6219 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Moving up from 2 watts
06/11/12 at 18:43:39

I have been thinking for a long time about moving up to a Torii MKIII, the CS84SE has proven the Zen concept and I need more juice. Thinking about selling my ARC SP-11 and using another pre-amp I have for the phono section and then running the Oppo straight into the Torrii. We actully only use two sources now days and as long as I have a phono stage this seems like it would work out. Question for all the Torii MKIII owners, do most of you run straight into the amp or use a pre-amp? I am looking to get back into having the system breath music like it does when I use the little Zen.  The amp I am using most of the time now is a NYAL Moscode 300 that George Kaye did a full upgrade on last year. I sounds really good in the system but the overall system doesn't breathe music like a SET based amp system does. Thoughts? Input? This forum has been a wealth of guideance and knowledge and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Moving up from 2 watts
Reply #1 - 06/11/12 at 19:04:11

Well, I think you would be very happy with a Torii. I oscillate between using a preamp and not; now that I have vinyl spinning, I'm using a preamp. Great sound is possible with a preamp, and without.

gopher started a thread asking just this question that Torii owners have contributed to. I'm sure you'll learn a lot:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1309964134

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/12/12 at 00:54:24

Pre amp here. More control in general, particularly at lower volumes. Have no problems whatsoever using the Torii without one but things just sound better with the pre in the chain. By the way it's an Artemis LA-1 for anybody keeping score. In any event you will love the Torii.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/12 at 14:41:18

I use a CSP in front of my TORII mkII.  I used it without a pre for quite a long time and I was very happy.  Yet, I recently wanted to see how the 6N2P's would sound on the CSP and when I added it into the signal chain, it was amazing to hear the difference.  So, these days, I go with the pre!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/12 at 23:14:24

I use the MKIII with no pre these days. I used it with a Zstage (which I guess you could call a Pre) a long time, but with Tranquility DAC have not been since it is a little hot voltage-wise with the Zstage. For me, it is only a matter of tastes. No need for the pre stage.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print