Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 03:29:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBK212 for Home Theater (Read 302 times)
pbLarry
Verified Member

DBK212 for Home Theater
05/26/12 at 19:35:37

Well, it certainly took long enough, but a couple of weeks back I finally finished The DBK212 build I was doing for my son.

It was built to go into a large room with cathedral ceilings and round out the surround system and 108" projection setup. It quite simply wails. The house is a single story Florida home on slab with hardwood floors. When something in a movie blows up at "movie night" volume, the neighbors windows rattle.

The finish is Lacewood veneer, hand padded shellac (6 coats) and a hand rubbed furniture wax finish. The trim is 170 year old reclaimed Cuban mahogany and the spikes are Parts Express black chrome.

I made a few design changes from the plans, but certainly nothing that would effect the cabinet parameters Steve Deckert has so carefully calculated. First, I mitered the cabinet corners. I originally considering painting it in the planning stages but my son decided he wanted wood.

Next I made a channel up through the bottom piece and along a dado in the insert to hide the speaker wire.

All in all, I think it came out well.

DBK212-done.jpg

60's musician stuck in the digital age
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: DBK212 for Home Theater
Reply #1 - 05/26/12 at 21:13:26

Nice! I love shellac finishes. I bet that it kicks butt.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
pbLarry
Verified Member

Re: DBK212 for Home Theater
Reply #2 - 05/26/12 at 23:56:50

Thanks Donnie! It does sound fantastic. I was quite pleasantly surprised. It seems to do just as well with music as with movies and it can get very loud when needed.

60's musician stuck in the digital age
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print