Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:09:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 with Klipsch Heresy 3's (Read 23222 times)
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

SE34I.3 with Klipsch Heresy 3's
03/31/12 at 01:46:06

Do you guys think this would be a good pairing? I have had DHT's, 300B. 2A3 and 45's before but am scaling back. I prefer a warm/rich sound and can't handle clinical hi fi. There is no accounting for taste or the lack thereof. Smiley Since there is only one cap and one resistor I could use a carbon comp resistor and a paper in oil cap to warm things up. I am using an Almarro 205A MkII now. 5 watt EL84 single ended. Power is not an issue with it. I like blues, jazz and American Roots music. The HF cut circuit looks good for Rhapsody etc.

TIA,

Les

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: SE34I.3 with Klipsch Heresy 3's
Reply #1 - 03/31/12 at 22:55:03

Also consider the Mini Torii.  Less power than the 'Rachel', but still probably enough, similar to your Alamarro.  The MT runs dead quiet, which you'll apreciate with the high sensitivity of the Heresys.  Also, the MT circuit uses a touch of nfb, so I suspect it may be a friendlier match with the load presented by the Heresys, but that's just a hunch.    

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/12 at 15:35:09

Thanks Ski Bum,

I too think the Mini Tori may be the right choice and I will talk to Steve and see if the gain can be lowered a little. My Havana DAC's output is 2.5 volts. I also use a Pure I-20 i-Pod dock...I might get the Wadia 171 down the road. I am 60 and scaling my system down. The power of the Mini Tori will be adequate in my room and I like the flexibility of the amp. I do use Rhapsody and Pandora so the treble cut circuit is a big plus.

Les

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/12 at 19:02:16

I thought that the MINI TORII and SE34I.3 both had 6 watts. However, I think that the MINI would be more compatible with an 8OHM load.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/12 at 17:01:53

Riv, too lazy to browse back a couple pages, but I think the MT is only rated at 4 watts.  I do prefer the looks of the 'Rachel' amp, she's a hottie.  But the super low noise of the MT appeals quite a bit.  Not sure about the impedance match issue, but I'm pretty sure the HIII are essentially 4 ohms below 600hz, where all the power is slurped up.    

Perhaps I'm projecting my own desires for a MT with my posts, but I may just have to get one myself.  New forum member and fellow Klipsch owner Erik2a3 has the MT and loves it.  Maybe he'll chip in and share his thoughts.

And FB, definitely call Steve.  Nobody knows what works best with what than the man himself, and you have legit setup questions he'll take into consideration.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/03/12 at 00:06:37

I will cover all the bases with Steve. I think you are correct about the Klipsch dropping to below 8 ohms. I'm not a head banger so the Mini should work just fine.

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/05/12 at 11:16:32

Florida Boy

Although so much of what we are discussing is subjective, and even subject to our own variations in mood, I found the Mini Torii and Klipsch Heresy combination to be ideal.  First music I tried with this pair were solo cello suites (unaccompanied Bach interpretations by Yo Yo Ma), and it was reproduced with such uncanny clarity and strength.  Imlistened to the entire CD....twice through because, being very familiar withmit, or so I thought, I felt as though I were listening to it for the first time.  Subtle bit of information came through that I just hadn't noticed before.

The HIIIs are a few dB more efficient than the HIs I was using, but there is more to this than specs on paper.  You know how unforgiving Klipsch Heritage can be, and the overall character of this combination was NOT one I would describe as relaxed.  It was brutally honest and for me extremely realistic...palpable, and demending of my attention.  There are some thing you could do to tame the response if you wanted, even to the point of using and adjustable L-pad on the woofer and or tweeter to tame things down.  The treble roll-off attenuator on the MT can be very handy for this as well.  Power-wise, the Mini-Torii was perfect....for me, at least.  Steve of course can field questions about the amp better than anynof us, and I am just sharing my experiences with this particular speaker combo.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/06/12 at 11:44:30

Thanks. You are correct about subjectivity in audio. I bought the Heresy 3 because I scaled down my rig and they were a good compromise. I am driving them with a 5 watt Almarro 205 and power is not an issue so the Mini, with a better power supply than the Almarro, will be fine. I am considering send Steve carbon comp resistors and Audio Note copper foil caps to install in my Mini. I prefer
a presentation on the warm side of neutral....Teflon caps don't work for *me*. I have had Heritage speakers in the past, H 1's and La Scalas and understand what you are saying.

The H3's are quite good. The MDF boxes are more inert than the wood
boxes and it appears that the Klipsch engineers did their homework. *I* don't think I will need a subwoofer with them. The bass is plenty good enough now and will likely be better with the Mini.

IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #8 - 12/04/12 at 17:03:26

Hi Folks,  I am a newbie to this forum. Just received a SE34i.5 last month and am quite please with. With my cdp its just fine volume wide but with my TT my phono pre only has 39db of gain therefore many LP's I feel needed a little more gain. Just tried 6N2P EB tubes and it added 2Db of gain. Big difference, I am a happy camper now. The 6N2P's did add a little bit of noise but I'm ok with that. The music its providing is worth the extra crackle.

Frimpy

Decware Taboo MKIV, Decware Rachel, Decware DNA Speakers, Omega Super 8 Alnico Monitors, Decware Zcd240 & Schiit Gungir MB.
  IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #9 - 12/04/12 at 17:04:44

Meant to say I'm using Klipsch Quartets which will be replaced soon by Decware DNA's.

Decware Taboo MKIV, Decware Rachel, Decware DNA Speakers, Omega Super 8 Alnico Monitors, Decware Zcd240 & Schiit Gungir MB.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 12/04/12 at 17:23:32

Interested to hear your impressions of the DNA Horns when you get them!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/04/12 at 22:29:18

Les,

A good article about the Heresy 3's in December issue of absolute sound.  Don't own the speakers myself but as a Klipsch fan it was worth reading.

IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #12 - 12/26/12 at 22:56:48

Received Decware DNA's last week, had been using a pair of Klipsch Quartets for 2 years.Klipsch quartets have Bob Crites tweeter and crossover upgrades. The Quartets really did sing when I received my Decware SE34i.5 this month but the DNA's are a few levels above the Quartets. The bass of the DNA's is wonderful, makes the quartets sound muddy. DNA's are more than I thought they'd be. Rich full sounding from such a small speaker. Organic sounding clean concise, I reallly like the DNAs.

Running JJ EL34's need help with tube rolling what EL34 is an upgade...
Buy from Jim Mcshane or who?
Thankx

IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #13 - 12/26/12 at 22:58:12

Received Decware DNA's last week, had been using a pair of Klipsch Quartets for 2 years.Klipsch quartets have Bob Crites tweeter and crossover upgrades. The Quartets really did sing when I received my Decware SE34i.5 this month but the DNA's are a few levels above the Quartets. The bass of the DNA's is wonderful, makes the quartets sound muddy. DNA's are more than I thought they'd be. Rich full sounding from such a small speaker. Organic sounding clean concise, I reallly like the DNAs. No matter what Genre I play its all good

Running JJ EL34's need help with tube rolling what EL34 is an upgade...
Buy from Jim Mcshane or who?
Thankx

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 12/27/12 at 00:45:53

Congratsa on the DNA. And thanks for the impressions! I find that an intriguing speaker.

I am REALLY enjoying the JJ 6CA7 tubes in both of my Torii amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #15 - 12/27/12 at 02:22:47

Are JJ EL34 different sounding from JJ 6CA7 ?  My understanding is that one is a european designation one is USA. Do they both benefit from Hazen mod?  

I do not have words to describe how satified I am with Deware's DNAs.
They are fast, precise, clean tight bass, smooth voices...and beautiful to look at.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #16 - 12/27/12 at 02:43:33

AFIK, the "Hazen mod' applies to both the el34's and the 6ca7's. They are basically the same tube.
FWIW, I've bought my second and final bunch of JJ 6CA7's for my SE34I, due to repeated tube failures Sad
YMMV.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 12/27/12 at 12:40:00

Frimpy wrote on 12/27/12 at 02:22:47:
Are JJ EL34 different sounding from JJ 6CA7 ?  My understanding is that one is a european designation one is USA. Do they both benefit from Hazen mod?  

I do not have words to describe how satified I am with Deware's DNAs.
They are fast, precise, clean tight bass, smooth voices...and beautiful to look at.

Not all 6CA7 tubes are compatible with the Hazen Grid Mod (e.g. the EH aren't) but the JJs are. I really like the sound. Unlike Donnie, I've had no problem at all with any of them. (I used one quartet in a Torii for a year, replaced them, and have another set in the other Torii now. So twelve in all.)

IP Logged
Frimpy

Reply #18 - 12/27/12 at 14:11:51

I thank you all for your replies and insight through your experiences.
I have purchased a tubed phono pre (Quicksilver Phono pre  used) and am waiting for it to arrive.  Will give details after I hear it. My Cambridge 551p SS phono pre is ok but need something to compare it to.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print