Send Topic Print
Mapleshade racks? (Read 34094 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Mapleshade racks?
03/17/12 at 02:46:39

I think I have noticed that several people here have Mapleshade's maple racks.
Am I correct in thinking that they are maple shelves held together by all-thread?
If so, I think that I can make my own for quite a bit less than what they charge for them. I have a huge section of a maple stump, a chainsaw, and friends with plainers and saws. I know where there are at least 4, 6' lengths of 1 1/4-7 all-thread. It sounds like I have a project!
How thick should I make the shelves? 4"? 2"?
Does maple really sound better? I'm sure it does. Sorry, the skeptic in me just lashed out. Should I charge myself $1200 for it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mapleshade racks?
Reply #1 - 03/17/12 at 04:48:50

If I were you, I'd use 4". Why not? I don't know if maple sounds better because I haven't used all kinds of wood, I will say it sounds good. I think the brass hardware helps too, but I don't know for sure and I don't know why. Anyway, have fun!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/17/12 at 13:11:05

You should charge yourself $2,000.00 for having such a capital idea!

I am sick of racks that make you bend over to do everything. That is why I attached shelves to the wall.

Whatever you can do for yourself with these racks and shelves is probably done better than store bought.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/17/12 at 13:24:13

Maybe, if you have mad skills. I really like the Mapleshade Samson rack I have. REALLY like it, it looks great, it holds my equipment well and the resulting sound is excellent. I don't have the tools to make such a thing myself. So sure it was expensive but worth it to me and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if the cash were in the bank.

I view this, like the Decware equipment, as heirloom quality stuff. And I don't have discomfort bending to operate my equipment, and where I have the stereo set up it would be impractical to use shelves.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 03/18/12 at 00:11:59

Well, I have a couple of hunks of maple sitting on sawhorses in my garage now. It only took a hour or so of cutting with a chainsaw this afternoon. I'm in way over my comfort zone on this one. But I've got zero money in this so far, so if things go bad, so what.
Thinking about it, no one ever knows anything about anything untill they do it. Hell, by this time next week I might be taking orders on high end woodworking projects.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/18/12 at 00:46:54

Cool.

From my reading, the drying of the wood is really important, so if you really cut maple trees parts up, look into drying and aging processes. Again, I think the brass hardware is a part of the thing I like most about the Samson, and part of why it makes a sonic difference, so I'd say consider that, and keep us posted.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 03/25/12 at 01:40:26

I spent this afternoon plaining my maple down to a workable thickness. Both shelves are over 5" thick!
I'm thinking about leaving the outside edges natural, unfinished. I don't know yet.
I'm also contemplating how I want to hold these big hunks of wood. The all -thread thing has been done, not a bad idea, but I think it looks too mechanical. I'm thinking more organic, somehow. Anyone have a idea?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/25/12 at 01:59:22

I don't know. . . I like the all thread set up. I think the way it holds the wood allows it to have it's own resonance and as I said a few times the brass plays a part. But I love my Samson rack, and that's how that is put together, and I would replicate that because I'd be after the same signature.

Five inches, cool. Best of luck!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 03/27/12 at 00:14:52

One of the Engineers that works for me is working on plans on how to hold my big hunks o' maple. Right now the design for the supports look like C clamps grasping the shelves. They kind of remind me of the Steampunk movement. Retro high tech, Circa 1895.
This is typical of how I end up doing things. Start up with a nice simple idea, end up with 3D models in ProE and trying to find time on a friend's Machining Center. Why do something half way?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/27/12 at 01:08:01

Cool. I'm hoping to one day afford a Mapleshade "Samson" Version 3. Maybe next year.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/03/12 at 04:45:02

Just got the carpenter to polish the maple.
Lon, the reason I did not post earlier was because I was trying to locate Maple wood, which I finally managed to get. I got the 2 inch thickness, as four is not available. Getting this in India is next to impossible, but as luck may have it, I consult for a firm that also has a timber business arm.

Last week went at the lathe shop, where I turned our some brass footers.....basically a diy Mapleshade.

The rods for the rack are back after hard chroming ( just a anti rust measure done for free at a friends shop Grin) and the assembly will start today.

During the last week, since I had the wood with me, I put them on my old rack with the iso blocks......... it makes a difference.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/03/12 at 12:19:34

Awesome Shreekant! I'm very happy for you because I think you are going to have a very nice home for your components!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 04/07/12 at 23:53:25

I spent the afternoon today teaching myself how to French Polish wood with shellac. So far, so good. I put it on and if I don't like it I sand it off.
This woodworking stuff is hard work, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
But the internet is a wonderful teacher. And since I don't have a timeframe to meet, the pressure is off.
I still have to make the legs for my stand. It is looking like they will be walnut. The Steampunk look is still at the top in the running order. Some sort of complex looking clamping is in order.
Remember, if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 04/08/12 at 12:30:40

Yeah! I hope it sounds good, bet it will. You can see why they charge so much for these maple slab racks!

I still think that the steel shaft with the brass nuts is key to why my Samson rack sounds so good. If I had the tools, I'd try to build me another . . . would take a lot of time but save me some money.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #14 - 04/08/12 at 14:40:38

Donnie,

By the time you are finished with the rack, your skills will be elevated to tackle a listening chair. Also in the steam punk style.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 04/08/12 at 22:10:09

Zygi, That is cool. I kind of like this look also.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #16 - 04/09/12 at 01:30:42

I like it...It would look great in Torii Red!!!!

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 04/15/12 at 03:14:54

I've spent the last 6 hours polishing one of my shelves. I started with 320 paper and ended up with 1200 wet sanding and then wax. I am happy with the finish on what will be the bottom shelf.
The top one sucks. I can see sanding marks in the parent wood. I got in too big of a hurry, my fault.
So now I'm going to let the shellac dry over night and sand it back down.
On the good side of the ledger, this week I brought home a 2" thick by 14" wide by 8' long hunk of walnut. My legs will made from it.
I also found some 5/8-11 threaded wooden dowel. With this I will be able to clamp my legs to the shelves. No metal in this construction.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 04/15/12 at 14:39:08

Yup, it's going to be a nice rack. The price for the Mapleshade racks doesn't seem so wild now when I see how much time you are putting in.

IP Logged
limahuli
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 08/02/12 at 23:40:45

Donnie, at the beginning of the thread you mentioned that the diameter/thread pitch for the stock Mapleshade supports was 1 1/4-7. Just want to make sure...are you certain the thread pitch is 7? I'm working on some custom brass nuts/cylinders and want to be sure...thanks!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 08/03/12 at 00:13:03

limahuli,
Standard National coarse thread is 1 1/4-7. I'm assuming that Mapleshade uses coarse threaded all thread. You could go fine but you always stand the chance of galling, no I see that you are talking brass so galling shouldn't be a problem.
1 1/4 all thread is expensive, so make sure that you don't buy too much!
http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Fasteners-Adhesives/Thread...
I've got to get back on my rack. I've been living on the road for the last 3 months, so my time working on stuff at home has been limited.

IP Logged
limahuli
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 08/03/12 at 01:24:40

Thanks for the info and the prompt reply, Donnie.. best of luck with your project.

My situation is this - bought a Samson rack and ran into some vagueness in the instructions that led me to believe I was four nuts short for the second to last shelf. Mapleshade disagreed but graciously offered to send me the additional hardware for $64 (they'd pay the freight).

I decided to look elsewhere and have found a helpful person who will manufacture the hardware from brass for me for close to $65...tonight when I get home from work I'm going to try to measure how many threads in an inch of the Mapleshade supports and see if they add up to 7. This is all new to me, and very...educational. Thanks again!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 08/03/12 at 01:37:57

Interesting. I really like Mapleshade products but agree that sometimes their service leaves a bit to be desired. My Samson has 20 nuts and 4 caps for top of the rods.

I'd love to get a Version 3 one day. Maybe!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #23 - 08/03/12 at 02:08:51

limahuli,
1 1/4-7 pitch is .1428 between each thread. A little more than 1/8" a little less than 5/32". 1 1/4-12 pitch is .083 between each thread. Just a touch under 3/32". Or like you said, just count how many pitches you have in a inch. I could spot the difference from across the room, 7 is pretty coarse, 12 is really fine.
The price your friend gave you is pretty good, brass ain't cheap.

IP Logged
limahuli
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 08/03/12 at 02:18:12

Thanks again for all the advice...I'm pretty sure the threads are coarse.
I haven't been here long enough to post URLs, but there's a close-up pic of the rod/nut/shelf assembly for the Samson V.1 on Mapleshade's site.

Looking at the pic, if the nuts are about 7/8" high, and using that for scale...the threads on the rod definitely lean more towards the coarse end of the spectrum.

Regardless, will use your formula for measuring tonight; thanks again!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 01/18/13 at 19:35:42

Well, I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered a three 2" shelf Samson V.3. Way too expensive, but I've always wanted to have one to complement my V.2 and house the rest of my audio visual system. Today the box with the hardware came, and then a box with one shef. . . I assume the rest will arrive early next week. Excited!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 01/19/13 at 15:51:37

Wow. Well, all the parts for the V.3 rack arrived (three separate deliveries from the UPS man, who earned his money that day; one box had two shelves in it and it was HEAVY!)

I managed to set the rack up in about 90 minutes and had everything in place on it in another thirty and it's everything that I hoped for. The CSP2+ and ZP3 and Rega RP3 sound so so good now on "firmer footing" and my tv picture is even improved. Not to mention that the tv screen is about 15 to 20 inches higher which reduces glare from light and makes it more visible from the dining-room. I wish I had bitten the financial bullet years ago and done this that much sooner. There's a richness and depth that is added that have put me over the moon. Too bad I'm going to have to take this system down in a few months and ship it and everything else across the country!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #27 - 01/19/13 at 21:44:06

Moving back to Ohio?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 01/19/13 at 22:30:24

Yes. My folks need assistance if they are to stay in their home, their infirmities are starting to get the best of them.. I just can't ignore that I could be helpful and if I want to spend time with them. . . now's the time.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/20/13 at 01:47:28

Quote:
I managed to set the rack up in about 90 minutes and had everything in place on it in another thirty and it's everything that I hoped for. The CSP2+ and ZP3 and Rega RP3 sound so so good now on "firmer footing" and my tv picture is even improved. Not to mention that the tv screen is about 15 to 20 inches higher which reduces glare from light and makes it more visible from the dining-room.

@ Lon

OK, how can you post this w/o pictures?   Smiley

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #30 - 01/20/13 at 01:52:38

I love your thinking, Lon.  Way to go!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 01/20/13 at 13:58:04

Well, I don't do pictures any longer. I'm not good at it, and I lost the software for my camera and can't seem to load pictures into the iMac and just don't care enough about pictures to correct that.

I have it set up with the V.2 on the left with the Torii Mk III on top, the PWD and PWT and Denon DCD-A100 on the other shelves. Then to the right is the V.3 with the TV and RP3 on top, the CSP2+ and ZP3 and BDP-5000ES on the middle shelf. On the bottom shelf I have the Power Plant Premier and the DVR.

All components are on maple platforms except the ZP3 and CSP2+ which are on the Decware stands.

IP Logged
limahuli
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 01/23/13 at 20:32:12

so...got my V.1 issues sorted out. I was having some problems with footfall noise with the turntable on the top shelf. Blu-Tack under the TT helped a bit, but I was unsatisfied with the isolation when I played LPs.

Recent discovery: rubber washers that fit the Mapleshade steel supports perfectly: Pasco 2208 1.5 by 1.25-Inch Rubber Slip Joint Washer. Can't post links yet but if you're interested, search that on Amazon.

I have a feeling they're cheaper elsewhere but I'm impatient. I ordered some today to test them out.

I'm putting these under the top cap nuts supporting the shelf upon which my turntable rests. Details on the results next week....maybe some photos, too.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 01/23/13 at 22:43:12

Glad you have your rack up! Sorry about the footfall thing. I have it too, when I use one set of footers under the Rega (Ingress Audio Rollerblocks). Great sound, but the footfall problem. Using another type of footer (Herbie's Audio Tall Tenderfoot) no footfall problem, sound is very good, just a shade darker and less open. The Rollerblocks are never going to be free of the issue; their design means they move.

I love the brass and maple connection and wouldn't really want to add rubber. . . . But if it works, then it works! Let us know.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #34 - 01/23/13 at 23:27:42

Lon,
I'd put the tenderfeet (footsise?) under the Rollerblocks. The best of both worlds!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 01/23/13 at 23:40:07

No, that won't work. . . neither will the reverse. Would be interesting. No matter what the rollerblocks are on or what's on them (unless quite heavy) there's going to be lateral motion.The Tenderfeet are there most often.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print