Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 12:38:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Old Receiver For Tone Controls (Read 5178 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Using Old Receiver For Tone Controls
01/31/12 at 02:37:20

I use an old Marantz silver faced 2226B stereo receiver from 1977-1978 for its tuner and phono section functions. I had always connected it to my tube amps using one of its tape outputs. After building some audio shelves and connecting everything I inadvertently connected the Marantz's main out to the CSP2+, which I in turn connected to the MINI TORII. With the phono I found I had to turn the CSP2+ pot all the way up. Finally I realized that the volume on the Marantz was active and the tone controls also came into play.

I am not a frequent listener to radio, but the FM signal from this receiver seems tinny when played from the tape output directly to my tube amps. So I could see running the radio signal through the main out to be able to inject some tone into the signal. The phono however, sounds good without any tone applied to it.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Re: Using Old Receiver For Tone Controls
Reply #1 - 02/04/12 at 17:36:56

Although I am not a frequent listener of FM radio, I do miss having an extra input on the MT.  Currently, I have a cd player and a phono preamp connected to the MT.  I am a frequent listener of a large LP collection and find many lps still sound better to my ears when compared with the cd version.  

Many are restoring older receivers these days.  As a past owner of receivers back in the day, each brand had it's followers.  Pioneer offerings were often described as warm and musical while the other end of the spectrum, Yamaha offered a more detailed and neutral sound with Sansui and Marantz falling in between.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/04/12 at 18:08:40

You could add a junction box. Decware makes one. I have a Radio Shack version that has 2 inputs with an A-B selector.

I bought an amplified FM antenna to try getting rid of the annoying white noise that results from the stations broadcasting analog and digital signals on top of each other.

The phono signal goes direct from the tape output to the CSP2+, while the FM signal is connected through the pre out directly to the amp.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/05/12 at 11:53:25

I have 2 vintage integrateds, a Sansui AU-222 compact, 20 watts and a Marantz 1060 that is in line to be restored. Both can be used as preamps with tone controls. I use an i-Pod touch in a Pure Audio i-20 dock for Pandora, Tune In Radio and Rhapsody. The dock was $99 and had a built in DAC that takes the digital signal directly from the i-Pod. Sounds pretty darn good but the new Wadia dock *might* be better because you can use your DAC with it. The Tune In app was 99 cents and you can access 50,000 internet radio staion from all over the world...lots of fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print