Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 10:24:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My New Zen Torii MkIII (Read 7430 times)
Pit Sober
Verified Member

Moon260D+DAC/ZenTori

III/HR-1/CSP2+/Beyer
dynamicT1

My New Zen Torii MkIII
01/15/12 at 22:15:29

Hi Everybody,
Little more then week ago I received my Zen Torii Mk III.  From that moment I listen to music for most of my free time and I have it a lot, because my leg is broken  :( Hopefully with my new friend (ZEN), recovering time will not turn in too long and painful. Life must go on and nothing can stop it. Let’s turn back to my new Friend. I have to tell you guys, this amp is a killer, KILLER. During past week I have being trying four different kinds of speakers. Unfortunately none of them really fit to the Zen. The most compatible have been pair of Sinclair Audio 260T but was still not enough power handling coming from Torii. I couldn’t ever turn up the volume more than first quarter. Since my speakers are not good enough, I cannot really start saying poems about this fabulous Amplifier. Now I must start to sale my old speakers and look for something seriously matching with my Zen.
In my last words of this letter I want to say BIG THAHNKS FOR ALL MEMBERS OF DECWARE Co. and all of You Dear Members of this Blog and Forum. HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012 and please accept me as a new fellow of that whole big Family.
Regards
Pit

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: My New Zen Torii MkIII
Reply #1 - 01/15/12 at 22:26:56

Happy days Pit. Welcome! Enjoy your recovery with your new pal! And of course, the Decware line of speakers naturally match very well with Decware amps, and like the amps, they are seriously reasonably priced for the sound.

Good Luck!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/15/12 at 22:33:36

Welcome Pit! Sorry to hear about the leg. Hope the recovery is short and sweet.

I'll echo will's mention of the Decware speakers, they're exceptional value and mesh with the Torii very well. Enjoy the music and recuperate!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/16/12 at 01:59:01

You might enjoy seeing the classic Hitchcock flick "Rear Window" which features James Stewart in much the same predicament.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pit Sober
Verified Member

Moon260D+DAC/ZenTori

III/HR-1/CSP2+/Beyer
dynamicT1

Reply #4 - 03/06/12 at 17:38:10

Hello Everybody,
I have got a questions and maybe someone could help me to find out answers, Please?
What is better configuration:
1) tube preamp + solid state power amp
or
2)solid state preamp + tube power amp
Thx
Pit

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/06/12 at 17:41:13

Best is an integrated tube amp. Smiley

Over the years I've seen most people say "tubed preamp and solid state power amp" as the answer to that question.

I don't really find that satisfying. I need those power tubes in my system. Not that any solid state preamp will make a tubed power amp sing, but a really good one paired with a compatible tube amp I like a hair better than a tubed preamp into a solid state amp.

Still, I'd prefer to have all tube, all the time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 03/06/12 at 19:11:44

Pit, this is a very difficult question to answer.  IMO, there's really no straight answer.  It depends on the synergy across components, especially between the preamp and amp.  I had the same dilemma and decided for what Lon just suggested, a tube integrated amp.

If you're looking for tube sound (whatever your idea of what that is), there's no better approach (unless you want to go for the all-tube components setup).  The internet is full of contradictory opinions on this matter.  In the end, what counts is the design quality of the gear and the synergy among its components.

Speakers probably have much relevance in this issue.  IMO, the first thing to look at, is the synergy between speakers and amp. Then you can fine-tune with other components (preamp, cables, etc.)  Assuming that has been checked (and since you want tube 'sound' this amp has to be tubed), then you may want to consider a preamp.

If the preamp (line-stage) you're considering is a very neutral, transparent solid state design, chances are it will enhance the tube amp that makes your speakers sing.  If not, consider a good integrated tube amp that works well with your speakers.

In audio, as you can see, there's nothing straightforward.  I'm not an expert by any means, but after much research and support from this and other forums, I think Lon's advice is sound (no pun intended!)  Good luck!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pit Sober
Verified Member

Moon260D+DAC/ZenTori

III/HR-1/CSP2+/Beyer
dynamicT1

Reply #7 - 04/24/12 at 23:25:40

Thank You Guys. Thanks a lot. Above question (which setup could be better) was regarding to my second, video set. I've got that oldie Rotel RA 1412, that Integra was made in 1976, same as me Wink This is very good unit, can works in class A and AB. Very clean and fast sound with proper sondstage but by the end of that description is little bit dry (no juice)
So I decided already and purchased another (oldie) class audio thirty preamp. I haven't chance to listen that duo yet, so hopefully that's going to work better than before.
Pit

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print