Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 13:33:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2nd System Stuff..... (Read 16061 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

2nd System Stuff.....
07/14/10 at 17:25:58

Solid State will never beat my Zen Select for Flesh on Bone Musicality.

But, I do like some butt muscle solid state 2 channel jamin' right?

I picked up a pair mono block Emotiva UPA-1's for my 2nd system within the same room/dedicated listening room.  Lot of fun! I did not do a search, but does anyone else have any experience with these?

Solid State System:
Denon DCM-290 (Transport)
Acoustic Zen MC2
Dac Magic
Monster M1000 MKIII  IC (from 1993)
Rotel RA-1062 (as Preamp)
Kimber PK10 Palladian (Rotel)
Kimber KCAG
UPA-1 x 2
HGA SC-16 Silver Braid to Kimber 8TC
Polk LS90
360 Degree Room treats-dedicated Room

Tube Amp System: (#1 system = 80% of my listening)
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
AA DTI-Pro
Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s
AA 3.0 Dac
Kimber 1030
Decware Zen Select
KS 3033
LS-90

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 2nd System Stuff.....
Reply #1 - 07/19/10 at 12:33:56

I have so many tube amps, I don't have any solid state amps active any longer, though I have a Proton "Power Envelope" dual mono amp and a B&O receiver that I fire up now and then just to keep it all "happening" and avoid problems.

My second system now includes RL2s, Ziggy's original Torii brought up to MK II status (and with CCE mod) by Steve, NAD T585 universal player (well, it doesn't do Blu-Ray, but does cd, MP3, and more importantly SACD), ZBox and CSP2.  Set up in the bedroom. Have spent some wonderful hours lilstening to music with my wonderful gal the last two years.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 07/28/10 at 15:14:42

That is a sweet 2nd system setup Lon (Zig's original Torri...). The Proton? I remember it on the market/good stuff for SS and they made a TV or two that was highly rated as well.

Yes, fun to break out and party with once in a while ("fire up ...just to keep it all happening"). The reason I bought the Mono UPA-1's is for just that/brief jam sessions. Solid State lacks the Thermionic Aspects of my Select for deep involvement - but - you know that as well as I if not more.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/01/10 at 23:45:30

Different kettles of fish, tube and solid state as you know.

I've only really once heard a solid state amp that I thought rivalled a tube amp for audio quality, it was a Coda integrated amp that someone my father knew had in his home, driving some Spica speakers.  I didn't think at the time I could ever afford something like that, and I was at the beginning of my SET search that led me to Decware, and was using my EICO integrated amplifier at the time.

The Proton is pretty good.  I've used it with my RL2s for longish stretches (last time was when I had the Monoblocks in for a revamping) and it does everything right but just doesn't have the holographic imaging and soundstage that the Decware amps do. I was surprised at the tonal balance, it was better than I'd ever remembered it in the past.

I'm listening to a great cd, Henry Threadgill Live at Montreal Jazz Festival, and the Torii MK III and the IT Radials and the Sony SACD player are just getting it so right. With the Torii, you don't need a big solid state amp for power reasons, the Torii just dishes it out, and gives you the impression it's so easy that he can read the paper at the same time. Smiley Maybe vinly would be better, but I got a seven cd set including this cd for what I saw the lp going for!  Digital in my main system is so good I just don't fall for the "vinyl is the only really good sound" argument. (Overheard two guys arguing that one out at a Guitar Center a few days ago).

I know I'm blessed with two great Decware based systems and hope I can keep that up through the next decades!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 09/09/10 at 12:54:11

I look forward to buying the Torii MK III. I have wanted one since I heard it at Decfest 05. I am in the process of doing the big "D" an moving to Mission, Texas. When the dust settles the MK III is ordered!

Thanks Lon for all your impressions of the MKIII. It dishes it out and can read the paper without breaking a sweat!  I look forwared to comparing it A-B-A to my Zen Select and having both to come home to after work.

Well, off to hear some live music this weekend at the Kettle Moraine Jazz Festival. I love pop jazz (and straight ahead too). Jeff Lorber's band closes the Festival Saturday night....look forward to all of it and especially him.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/09/10 at 13:31:15

Well, you'll be very happy SoT, of that I'm sure.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 12/12/11 at 06:36:01

Well, I did finally get the Torii 3 and I love it. I have settled on these set ups to serve the music to me!

Sony as Transport>Illuminati D-60>Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro>Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference i2s>Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 w/remote wand>Kimber Select 1030>Decware Zen Select Integrated Amp or Decware Torii MK3>Kimber Select 3033> Polk SDA 1/Stereo only

Denon DCM290 Transport>Stereovox XV2 digital cable>Dac Magic>Kimber Silver Streak Intercon >Rotel RA-1062>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable>Polk SDA SRS 1.2/use SDA always>Kimber 9033 to/hi Pass jumpers> Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Cord to Rotel

I just acquired the Polk SDA SRS 1.2's from local Craigs List. Don't get me wrong.....I love the holographic imaging of my Zen Select and imaging and power of the Torii3. However, in keeping with this thread.....I still love to fire it up with a behemoth Speaker/1.2's. Probably, much like Steve likes to fire up his huge Audio Labs from time to time. These 1.2's would cost 8 to 10k to produce today. I see why the Club Polkies's are loyal to them and do mods. I will upgrade the Tweeters first with RDO194-1's and go from there. I like the best of both world's. More on the tube side though.....of course.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-SDA-SRS-SIGNTURE-REFERENCE-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-/14065465...

I paid $1250 for mine in cherry condition. These here are already at $1375.   Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/12/11 at 16:18:32

More speakers! Always a good thing (though I confess I have a few too many pair!) I'm glad you're enjoying your multiple setups, me too, I have really been enjoying playing around with my second system, right now I have the DEC685 back in the system, it's behaving after skipping discs a few years ago, and that into the CSP2 into the Torii Mk II and into Bob's killer HR-1 speakers is a dream second system!

I have to find some screw on spade connectors to go on to the ends of the xStream Statement speaker cables I have so I can use those again. . . seem hard to find. I had a set when I got the cables but for the life of me I can't find them, and PS Audio is no help with them. Right now I'm using cryo'd Cat-5 cable we did as a board project, and they're very good in this system, but I spent 300 bucks for those xStream cables and want to use them again!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 12/13/11 at 05:08:27

Awesome 2nd system Lon. It is fun to play around with and tweak the 2nd system. I am having fun with my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's tonight. The impact and the scale of these are very fun. At 185 pounds each and 63 inches tall....they make a statement physically and sonically. I am also smiling because the pair in my last post sold for $2175.00. My $1250 was well spent-same speakers.  Cheers, Stone

PS-I hear you on to many pairs of speakers. I have eight pair. After the new year/holidays.....I am going to list/sell my Parker Crusaders with plate amp too, Polk RTi A1's and my Emotiva UPA-1 mono blocks. I have the original boxes for each.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 12/29/11 at 15:06:17

I finally found a set of screw on spade connector ends for my PS Audio xStream Statement speaker cables, and have replaced the cryo'd Cat-6 speaker cable I was using in my second system with the Statements. I couldn't use the banana plug ends on the Statements with the HR-1 speakers, I needed the "angled" end that the spade supplies. Took a chance on some complete spade connectors on ebay from Australia and the screw on ends work, only 20 bucks in all. . . wish I could have just gotten the ends.

Anyway, WOW as far as the difference between the two sets of cables. Now, i really like the Cat-6, but there's more body and a better sense of sound stage with the Statements. I'm so happy that years ago I could get these for a third their list price as they're great speaker cables, just way over-priced at 800 dollars or so. Smiley I felt bad having them in the closet so long, so I'm happy to be using them again. I'm now very happy with my second system. . . I was listening to a Chet Baker cd in there yesterday and was just floored. I now spend time listening to that system that I usually would to the main system, which pleases me as I'm justifying its existence more. Smiley

If I "knew when to quit," I'd quit NOW, but of course I know I'll be tinkering with it again soon. When I feel I can afford them, I know that one more set of Iso-Cups will make a difference. . . .

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 01/01/12 at 17:32:02

Very sweet Lon. Yes, your PS Audio xStream's are to good to be collecting dust. Especially, when getting them for a 3rd of 800.

I remember when I bought my Kimber Select 1030 IC and Select 3033 Speaker cables (99 & 2000). I paid $649 for the IC with tax and $1320 something for the Speaker cables with the Kimber 9033 jumpers to high/low pass. Yes, to expensive I know. But, at the time I was on the quest for the Behemoth power amp and then speakers etc....etc.... . THEN, I took a chance and tried Steve's little Select AMP....that is supposed to have such great fidelity. Of course it blew my mind sitting 5 to six feet off the front plane of the speakers at 76db SPL that sounds like 90db SPL with this incredible AMP!

Now, back to the Kimber. With the revelation of Steve's Amp....I new my Audio Alchemy front end was up to the task and have owned it since new in 1995. I have tried to replace the Kimber......but nothing comes    close. The synergy of the 1030 with the Zen Select and 3033 has a soundstage with air air and more air around it with exacting timbre. Surprisingly, my Torii does better with my Kimber KCAG. The Select 1030 is to much for it. I bought the KCAG over 10 yrs ago too.......now prices on all these cables are just off the charts now with the price of Silver!  So, I guess I'm saying as you re-appreciate your PS Xtreme's....I am glad I bought the Kimber Select and KCAG and then got off the Stereophile bandwagon with the advent of the Zen Select with its fidelity in my System. I have enjoyed the Select for over 10 yrs now and of course the Torii just joined in.

However, back to this thread......my 2nd system mostly all bought used and at killer rediculous (low) prices is fun. I have an Emotiva XPA-2 coming to run the Polk SDA SRS 1.2's that I also use for 2.0 HT and Serius/XM Sat radio. It can't do what the Zen Select and Torii have Ruined me for in the fidelity department.....but mostly passively it fills that other side of my habit.    -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 01/01/12 at 17:53:09

Lon, I am considering the Radials for my Torii. Of course I consider this after a pair just sold here. But, new would be nice. I want to keep my system that I got lucky driving my LS90's and SDA 1's with the Select as follows:

Ref Sys: SonyTport>Illuminati D-60>A-Alchemy DTI-Pro>Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference i2s>A-Alchemy DDE 3.0 w/remote wand>Kimber Select 1030>Zen Select Integr Amp>Kimber Select 3033> SDA 1 -or- LS90

2nd Ref System: Torii 3 with KCAG IConnect and Decware Statement Radials

Solid State Sys: Denon DCM290 Tport>Stereovox XV2 cable>DacMagic>Kimber Silver Streak>Rotel RA1062>Kimber 8TC Speaker >SDA SRS 1.2/use SDA always>Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Cord to Rotel.......Emotiva XPA-2 coming with common ground and the power to drive SDA function of Polk's for HT 2.0, 2 ch stereo & SeriusXM Sat radio. Oh, TV of course too. I never use TV speaker's.....I have DishNetwork.....with HBO.....Boardwalk Empire rules. My TV is a 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron.........very pleased/bought this past June.

Then I need to stop the obession unless something goes down like my front end and I then get the Wyred for Sound DAC II.  -Stone
PS-I wish I could swing your PS Audio front end.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 01/01/12 at 18:43:43

Stone, I bet you would LOVE the ERRs. I think they're amazing. I loved the RL2s even though there were a few things about them I felt could be improved. The Turning Point Audio HR-1s that I then received I also loved, they did not exhibit the aspects of the RL2s that I thought needed improvement, but they also did not have the whole "immersive" quality of the ERRs. I adjusted and was very happy, but the minute I had the ERRs finally in my system I felt the bliss that has only grown with the field of sound and the tonal balance, of the three just right for me.

In both of my systems, I have two channel video setups in use with the Decware components and speakers, and I'm SO SO happy with the sound. Just amazing, I can get completely lost in the watching and listening experience with the Decware sound. Keeps me spending far too much time in my listening/viewing seat but I waste my time in deep enjoyment!

I'm glad I spent the money on those xStream cables as well at the time, but for just a little less I actually feel that the longer length of Decware speaker cable that I bought afterwards (and I need the extra length in the main system) is clearly better. Just as I find the Decware Silver Referrence ICs better than the TARA Labs and PS Aucio xStream Statement ICs I bought before hand! Steve really knows how to choose and manufacture this type of cabling!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 01/01/12 at 23:11:32

I enjoyed the ERRs at Decfest 2008. I believe it was the introduction at the time for those. They had that turn your head and listen capture... . At that time, I also enjoyed the High Def. Towers. I remember I put Joan Osborne's "Relish" CD in and I just pressed play....an listened to it from start to finish glued to the couch. I have point source essentially already....and your enjoyment of/ and from what I remember of the ERRs...they are my next target.  
No wasted time in deep enjoyment of the music Lon. It fuels the soul for other endeavors of the day, week or month. Long term durable goods that all have excellent resale value for those few items we might part with along the path. Also, I do need to finally try a pair of Steve's IC's........ .   Thanks, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/02/12 at 17:24:13

Quote:
Also, I do need to finally try a pair of Steve's IC's........ .   Thanks, Stone

Indeed, they are a bargain. Excellent quality. I only wish he made them in 1.5 or 2m lengths.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 01/02/12 at 17:45:27

I too would love to see them in those lengths.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 04/25/12 at 15:18:53

Well, changes in the main system led to changes in the second system.

I bought a discounted Denon DCD-A100 SACD player. This player is an astonishing value for 1500 bucks. Built like a tank with resonance control in mind, weighs 32 pounds, and the drive assembly is both constructed and isolated with resonance control in mind. 32 bit DACs, some of the best DACs in the world, with Denon's processing (in this case Advance AL32) for Redbook. DSD processing for SACD. USB input that can be used with iPod and has a "Restorer" circuit for lossy files that actually sounds nice. A coaxial and an optical input so that the excellent DACs can be used by other sources, a big plus!

At first I put this into the second system in place of my Decware DEC685, and it began to bloom and really sound great. (It's no shame that the DEC685 was not quite up to this unit's sound quality, but sounded really really good in comparison). The I moved this into the main system. My gal and I worked together and came up with a way to fit this Denon and the CSP2 into the main system without purchasing a new audio rack, our combined heads worked pretty darned well. The Denon has about 350 hours on it now and has been shut off overnight three times and it's astonishingly good with SACD in the main system. I have my PS Audio Duo running through Reality interconnects into the CSP2, my Denon running through cryoset.com interconnects into the CSP2, and the CSP2 running into the Torii Mk III via a new pair of cryoset.com.  The interconnects are still settling in, but the sound is excellent on all sources. Being able to adjust the gain at the PS Audio DAC/preamp, the CSP2 and the Torii Mk III means. . . well lots of excellent variant possibilities. And having SACD back in the main system is great, I love classical music on SACD and I'm spinning it and just sinking into my chair in bliss.

So the second system now doesn't have a CSP2 as a control center, and I decided the slight hum that the ZBox brings at best isn't needed and the ZBox really isn't needed. I have the DEC685 running straight into the Torii Mk II via My Audio Cables Ultrasilver + interconnects, and my Marantz BDP7004 Blu-ray player running into the Torii Mk II via Decware Silver Reference interconnects. (I confess I hardly use this player in that room, bu it's there and sounds pretty good--not the match of my Sony Blu-ray player in the main system though).

I decided that the two isolation transformers I had been using in this second system really weren't doing anything positive and I have two PS Audio "Duets" plugged straight into the wall, one for digital components, one just for the Torii Mk II. The Duet for digital is powered by a PS Audio xStream Statement power cord, the Duet for the Torii is powered by a PS Audio xStream Plus SC power cord. These two cords have made a positive difference on the system. The Torii Mk II is powered by a My Audio Cables "HC" power cord, and the DEC685 and Marantz DBP7004 are powered by Decware power cords.

The second system sounds really really good. I find myself lingering there to listen on occasion. And my gal is very happy with the sound, she relaxes and curls up with me and we have great listening sessions. If only the bedroom were bigger, I know that the HR-ONEs would love to have the room to breathe and image. But all in time. . . . The "now" is a very good "now'!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print