05/07/24 at 11:24:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is value? (Read 3203 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

What is value?
01/15/12 at 16:37:26

Several years ago I purchased the original TORI and I think I paid about 1k for it, but I can't remember if that is the right amount.  A couple of friends came over to hear it and they were amazed by the sound and then they asked how much it was and I told them.  Then they preceded to tell me how over-priced it was and that I was crazy and that I could get something at Circuit City that was as good for much cheaper and yadda, yadda, yadda...   I disagreed.  Today I still have that TORI and it sounds just as good as ever.  I never thought twice about how much I paid for that amp.

Last night I had a date and I spent about $125 at a semi-upscale restaurant and about $150 for a couple of tickets to a show and this morning I am in a funk at the thought that I spent $275 while my date considers it to be money well spent.

It is interesting at what people value, isn't it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What is value?
Reply #1 - 01/15/12 at 17:26:40

Yes, it's really funny. I value love and affection, great musical playback, and traveling from point a to b on a great motorcycle. A friend of mine makes fun of what I spend on audio as to him something from Best Buy is more than good enough, he plugs it in and forgets it. But he doesn't really treasure music the way we do, and so it's "good enough." He has a very expensive car though, and I kid him and say that it gets him to work the same as a much cheaper make and model and he says "No it doesn't!" I point to my system and say "No it doesn't play music the same as something from Best Buy"! At least we laugh about the different values we hold.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: What is value?
Reply #2 - 01/15/12 at 17:26:42

Great story! Three big nights on the town and you have an original Torii that is compelling and enlivening every time you hear it!

Similarly, I wonder......when we spend a thousand or two or three... on a front end, amp or speakers, and worry about spending 20-100 every so often to build a synergistic collection of well researched tubes for system tuning. Or we might worry about a $150-200 cable that is returnable if it does not have that value to us after we try it. One semi-upscale dinner!

The relativity of value....great topic.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print