Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 21:07:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii mk 3 with Paradigm Studio 100, Harbeth C7 (Read 4081 times)
asinghji
Verified Member

Torii mk 3 with Paradigm Studio 100, Harbeth C7
01/16/12 at 17:42:24

Hi All,

I am new to your forum and this is my first post, so pardon me if i miss some information in initial post Smiley

I own a pair of latest Paradigm Studio 100 speakers (Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic - 93 dB / 90 dB) and I was wondering if some of you could comment on what can I expect by pairing these with Zen Torii Mk 3. Currently I am driving those with my MRX 500 and the sound is a bit bright, not engaging for my taste.

I also heard a demo of Harbeth Comcact 7 speakers (Sensitivity - 86dB/1W/1m) with a Tube amp and really liked the sound of those, so I was thinking of may be getting those for a separate 2 channel system with Zen Torii Mk 3.

Please provide your advice on how well or not well the torii may pair with either of these speakers. And also kindly provide some thoughts on any suggested DAC to match with these.

thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Torii mk 3 with Paradigm Studio 100, Harbeth C
Reply #1 - 01/16/12 at 18:26:19

Welcome!

I'm sure that the Torii would commandeer the Paradigms very well. With the treble cut circuit that the Torii has you could deal with a bit of brightness, if it persists with this amp, easily.

How large a space are you planning to use the speakers with? My gut tells me that in a medium to large space the Harbeths may not get loud enough with the Torii. . . . but that's an uninformed opinion. If it's possible, a call to Steve would be the best way to ascertain how the Torii would work with your speakers and room.

I can't imagine you not being happy with the Torii if they match up well with your speakers. It's an amazing amp. I really have been very satisfied with mine, it's the best amp I've ever owned.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
asinghji
Verified Member

Re: Torii mk 3 with Paradigm Studio 100, Harbeth C7
Reply #2 - 01/16/12 at 18:42:26

Thanks Lon,

I have 2 rooms available either of which i could use first being 8 X 8 ft semi-circular sitting area attached to my 30 X 20 ft master room or a 10 X 10 ft vacant room. I have few more options available.

What i was thinking of first getting the Torii 3 (which I already ordered 2 weeks ago). and testing it with my main 5.1 system with Paradigm Studio 100 and if with some tweaks etc Torii tames these nicely then use it with those for a while but if not then may be borrow a pair of Harbeth Compact 7s and make it work in a second system, as i will have much more control over placement/components etc in the 2nd system.

As you suggested I will try and ask Steve for his advice, on phone.

thanks

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Re: Torii mk 3 with Paradigm Studio 100, Harbeth C7
Reply #3 - 01/16/12 at 19:24:45

You should talk to Steve on the Harbeths.  When I bought my Torii around a year ago he talked to me about a pair of Harbeth's that did not seem to work well with the Torii.  I do not know the details and what speakers were involved.  Consequently the Spendor line of speakers seem to work well in almost all tube amp aplications.  I have an aural memory of a Deja' Vu SET 45 tube amp playing through a Spendor SP100 . The music was a live recording of a Tchaikovsky coral work recorded in a very large venue.  The setup and room were nothing special.  The depth and space was enormous.  Any speaker will play with any amp but not on this level.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print