Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 10:32:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Isolation transformers (Read 17438 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Isolation transformers
01/07/12 at 16:13:09

I've learned through the Mini Torii Owner's Manual on the site that Steve recommends using a 500 Watt isolation transformer as the main ingredient in shielding your amp's sound from the horrible harmonics imbedded in the dirty mains supply.

It just makes sense and will protect from transient surges too. It's also a less expensive (and more credible) alternative to Power Conditioners.  What do you gauys think and what are popular brands to check for?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Isolation transformers
Reply #1 - 01/07/12 at 16:53:18

I've used Tripplite to good effect. I ended up actually with two, one for my digital and one for my analog components. Better than straight out of the wall in my old house. These are in use in my second system now.

Then I moved to a PS Audio Premier power plant for the main system, and the sound was much better, no contest. And both of these (the isolation transformers, and then the PS Audio) were/are in use with the Torii Mk III with its own tube regulation to clean up power. . . . With these Decware components everything matters. In one sense this Decware experience has been an expensive trip down the rabbit hole. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 01/07/12 at 20:16:28

I know what you mean, Lon. Been there long time ago! I'll start with the isolation approach for now. Tripplite comes up in every search I do, I guess these are pretty good.  

According to Steve, having the tube regulation/rectification stages obviates the need for the expensive PS Audio power plant/conditioner,  but not (evidently) the isolation transformer.

I'm sure the sound may improve through the PS Audio, but there are weaker links in the pipeline, like (mostly) room conditioning and SUB placement, interconnects, etc, before worrying myself with that level of power conditioning.

Thanks.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/07/12 at 20:33:42

Well, maybe. I don't want to disagree with Steve, but in my case bringing in the next level of power conditioning was the answer to me, didn't need a sub, room-conditioning etc. after that. The improvement moving to this from the isolation transformers was not subtle.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 01/07/12 at 21:50:06

You may be right. I read some reviews and overviews on the PS Audio P5 & P10, and the regeneration of the AC sinewave is an interesting concept (also new to me).

As far as I knew, the theory behind the traditional isolation transformers is straightforward, well proven.  What else could be done by PS Audio not covered by the physical de-coupling of your audio circuit from the mains (as if a dedicated circuit)?  ... So now the answer is: Synthetically perfect AC supply.  The best raw material for your equipment.

Although the investment order of magnitude is 13 times the cost of traditional isolation transformers, I can see now the justificaction, and its potential effect on sound.  Presumably, though, this is more critical for SS amps than tube amps, other things being equal, seems to me?

I'm learning every day ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/07/12 at 22:09:48

Honestly I know there should be little improvement according to some ways of looking at the science. All I know is that I have had two different Power Plants over the years and they both did something to the system that it needed, and that it needed after isolation transformers were implemented. I have a house built in '32 with not the most modern of wiring throughout, maybe that's the biggest factor. I can't speak to the solid state amplifiers because it's been so long since I've used them. I hear far more clarity and changes in general with Decware amps than I've heard with any other amps, I would expect them to reveal more aspects impacted by the cleanest power to be honest.

This is all very expensive and I shouldn't have spent the money that I did, especially in the long learning curve to get to the sort of system I want and need. If I could have avoided some of the detours I've taken from the road to this system I would have saved money and time and had more joyous sound experience. It is also the journey there too; that enhances the experience in its way.

I babble. My conclusion from my own journey is that isolation transformers don't quite get my system all the way there.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/08/12 at 00:18:24

Fireblade wrote:

Quote:
According to Steve, having the tube regulation/rectification stages obviates the need for the expensive PS Audio power plant/conditioner,  but not (evidently) the isolation transformer.

I don't think that is actually what Steve has written. What is written on the Torii page is this:

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why we know that unless you own and use a power generator, like the PS AUDIO power plant as an example, there is no way your present amplifier will sound as good as a Zen TORII (...assuming all else was equal and even that's unlikely.)  And if it wasn't enough to do it once, we employed this technology on every stage in the amplifier and independently for each channel.  That's a lot of GLOW from these beautiful tubes that don't even get hot or wear out! 

This doesn't mean you don't get benefit from something like an isolation transformer, or a balanced power supply, or a PS Audio Power Plant. Or even a Monster AVS-2000. I have ALL of these items in one iteration or another. Having tried them all, the only one not in one of my systems is the TrippLite Isolation Transformer. I have one of the "hospital grade" ones, this one I believe. And to my ears, it introduced more problems than it solved. I would rank the PSA PPP [I have two of these and love them, but really want the newer Power Plant P10] first, the Transcendent Balanced Power Supply second (on my headphone rig at the office, where its modest output is perfect), the Monster AVS-2000 third (it's on the secondary HT rig in the den), and the TrippLite dead last. Actually, I don't use it on anything aurally critical. It's sort of a secondary line of protection to the UPS for my NAS, cable modem, wireless router, and land line phone. The idea is to prevent any serious electrical damage and give us about one hour of internet and phone service before power is all gone, at least for the stuff that relies on AC.

Anyway, I don't think Steve is saying power regenerators are obviated by Decware voltage regulation, only that for any other amp, without some form of voltage regulation, you're at a disadvantage. To me, the quality of AC power in my audio system is rather ruthlessly revealed by the Ultra/Torii combo. And, like Lon, while I may have spent more than I should have on the two (plus a Power Port Soloist Premier to replace the wall outlet), when I listen to the pure black space between notes, when I hear the effortless macro dynamics, the suble layers of micro dynamics, it's worth it.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 01/08/12 at 01:22:58

Pale Rider:

There's evident misinterpretation and I will clarify them with facts:

1. Steve Deckert told me, more or less literally, that he today would not recommend the SE34i.2 (if available) without a PS Audio of some kind due to the mains dirt.

2. He continued to state that he does not think this limitation applies to the Mini Torii because the several rectifying and regulation tube stages incorporated into this design.

3. Nobody (neither Steve nor me) ever stated that the PS Audio would not be useful in improving the sound of any setup.  It's just that it (PS Audio) would not be a requisite for the Mini Torii.

4. The Mini Torii manual clearly states that it is essential to use a 500 Watts isolation transformer to de-couple from the nasty elements imbedded in the mains supply.

That's it.  Nobody is saying you did not spend your money wisely, or implied that the PS Audio would not be of benefit.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/08/12 at 04:38:24

Fireblade, thanks for the clarification, though please, no worries, I took no personal concern from the comments, or even thought anyone had suggested I or Lon had wasted our money.

These are good clarifications, and they do help highlight a significant advantage of the Decware designs that incorporate voltage regulation and power filtering.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 01/08/12 at 15:24:31

Agreed, Pale Rider.

On the general topic of power, can someone tell me if the Mini Torii comes with a power cord or should I get one on my own? I mean, I could not find this info on any of the sources in the site.  I know eventually many folks would get an upgraded version, but I would hate to get my amp and find out it does not have a IEC power cord.  I will order one right away if I know it's not included.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/08/12 at 15:39:32

I've never received a component from Decware without a power cord. They'll supply a basic one. Won't be the one that they sell separately however, which is a better than basic power cord (by quite a margin).

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 01/08/12 at 15:51:56

Great, Lon, thanks.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/08/12 at 16:32:46

The Volex power cords are cheap and are an excellent value for the money.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/08/12 at 17:02:19

Fireblade asked:

Quote:
On the general topic of power, can someone tell me if the Mini Torii comes with a power cord or should I get one on my own? I mean, I could not find this info on any of the sources in the site.  I know eventually many folks would get an upgraded version, but I would hate to get my amp and find out it does not have a IEC power cord.  I will order one right away if I know it's not included.

Every powered piece of Decware equipment I have ever bought has been shipped with an IEC cord. Standard. In addition to the Volex, I would also recommend the Jellyfish Hospital Grade AC cord. Very reasonably priced at $31, though I picked up 5 @ $18 when I first discovered them. Great "starter cord," and as you upgrade and add equipment, it's good to have spare quality cords. Eventually, though, you're gonna want the DEC power cords. For the money, I think few others come close.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/08/12 at 17:45:31

If you go for the jellyfish be careful not to get stung. Volex is good enough for me right now.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #15 - 01/08/12 at 18:25:06

Would you say, in general, worth replacing the original with this?

VOLEX - 17001A - POWER CORD, NEMA5-15P/IEC, 3FT, 13A, BLK

http://www.newark.com/volex/17001a/power-cord-nema5-15p-iec-3ft-13a/dp/93K2520

I would have thought the original would be a little fancier, considering.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #16 - 01/08/12 at 18:54:56

Ok guys, thanks for the tips.  Need to know for a fact these alternatives are indeed better than the original Decware power cord supplied with the amps.  Anybody knows?

I think Decware's DHC-1 power cable would go well with a PS Audio Power Plant, not to undercut the high quality energy coming out of this regenerator.

For all other purposes, hooking a better-than-standard power cord to an Isolation Transformer like the Tripp Lite, should be fine.  I just need to make sure I'm not going backwards in quality from the cord originally supplied with the amp.

Thanks.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/08/12 at 20:17:49

"Need to know for a fact these alternatives are indeed better than the original Decware power cord supplied with the amps."

They're not.  Save your money.  (Don't flame me, guys.)

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/08/12 at 21:56:10

ski bum wrote:

Quote:
"Need to know for a fact these alternatives are indeed better than the original Decware power cord supplied with the amps."

They're not.  Save your money.  (Don't flame me, guys.)

If you've tried them all and know ski bum, you won't get any flame from me. But there is a difference in power quality delivered by different power cords. Whether one can hear it might be a different matter, and whether one thinks it is worth it is an altogether different matter also. But the Jellyfish alone is an improvement over stock with a variety of my headphone amps, and to my ears, the sound with the Decware power cord is quite better than that, and is really only exceeded by the significantly more expensive high end cables, particularly the PS Audio PerfectWave AC10/12.

The stock power cords that come with the amps are standard IEC cables, and interestingly, Decware sells and recommends an upgrade. I happen to concur in that. I love the Decware power cords.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #19 - 01/09/12 at 03:43:19

Thanks to all for your valid opinions. I know this wasn't a straightforward question, as there are too many variables involved.  Just to start, and keeping on the spirit of highest bang for the buck, I'm going to replace the stock cord with a better than std alternative, but not Decware's cord just yet.  Not sure which one at this point:

Volex seems very basic (I may be wrong). The Yellow Fish seems marked-up because of the "Hospital application," which may make you pay a premium just for that.  So, even though there are opinions in favor of both, it's not clear to me yet.  I'll let you know. Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print